The Observer: Why teachers, nurses and lawyers go to war

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
#3
"Swats" wasn't a term that I was familiar with, but it's nice to see "STABS" making it into the national media.


I too thought it a good write-up and hopefully it will dismiss the "cold war "weekend warrior" myth" for civpop. Afterall, as the article made painfully clear, STABS and ARABS have been very much aware that that particular myth died @ GW1
 
#4
Gald you liked it. The journalist's visit was set up by SaBRE with the aim of showing employers that Reservists play important roles.
 
#5
SaBRE_helpline said:
Gald you liked it. The journalist's visit was set up by SaBRE with the aim of showing employers that Reservists play important roles.
Gald? - yes indede! .... but isn't the circulation of the Sudnay Grauniad only about 6 people?
 

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
#6
Mr T, do you want to preach to the choir? or convert the masses?
 
#7
MrTracey said:
SaBRE_helpline said:
Gald you liked it. The journalist's visit was set up by SaBRE with the aim of showing employers that Reservists play important roles.
but isn't the circulation of the Sudnay Grauniad only about 6 people?
The audited circulation is an average of 421,000 at the moment
 
#8
I did find myself shouting at the telly recently; the documentary about medics on Ops; "they are not members of the Army; they are NHS staff volunteering... "

AAAAAAARGH
 
#9
SaBRE_helpline said:
MrTracey said:
SaBRE_helpline said:
Gald you liked it. The journalist's visit was set up by SaBRE with the aim of showing employers that Reservists play important roles.
but isn't the circulation of the Sudnay Grauniad only about 6 people?
The audited circulation is an average of 421,000 at the moment
Well, OK, I mean I'm not trying to be cynical or anything but it's hardly the Sunday Times is it...of course, such articles are good (in a way) but all they do is continue to reinforce the belief that mobilisation is adequately covered by the law and that the 'volunteer's' job is safe - which it isn't - so why continue the charade?

If the Regular Army wants IRs - and some from the employed sector - then let's stop pretending that RFA is adequate because in the end, the only people that suffer are ourselves.

Peddling the myth that the Reserves are protected isn't helping anyone in the long run.

Pah
 
#10
Even more impressive was the fact that one of the ladies was my old PA! Good old Donsy! Mind you, shocking weapon handling... I shall give her a jibing about that when she gets back (well, I would, but I'll be out there myself).
 
#11
MrTracey said:
SaBRE_helpline said:
MrTracey said:
SaBRE_helpline said:
Gald you liked it. The journalist's visit was set up by SaBRE with the aim of showing employers that Reservists play important roles.
but isn't the circulation of the Sudnay Grauniad only about 6 people?
The audited circulation is an average of 421,000 at the moment
Well, OK, I mean I'm not trying to be cynical or anything but it's hardly the Sunday Times is it ...
But this is, which we also arranged and was published a couple of months ago:
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/career_and_jobs/article6011115.ece
 
#12
SilverBullet said:
Even more impressive was the fact that one of the ladies was my old PA! Good old Donsy! Mind you, shocking weapon handling... I shall give her a jibing about that when she gets back (well, I would, but I'll be out there myself).
Yeah, still asking 'bone' questions and boring the sh1t out of everyone about how you have a PA, ok ya..... :p
 
#14
Bravo_Bravo said:
I did find myself shouting at the telly recently; the documentary about medics on Ops; "they are not members of the Army; they are NHS staff volunteering... "

AAAAAAARGH
sorry, is 203 Field Hospital not part of the territorial army then?
must pop down to llandaff & tell them
poor dears, probably got confused
:roll:
 
#15
Teachers on tour ???

Can't be that many of them, one of my blokes is a Science teacher and his Head of Faculty won't let him go away on courses / camp during term time, he did his CMSR in his holidays.

My Headteacher has let me do 2 camps / courses and not given permission for one. One of our Staffies missus wasn't able to do her recruit course for 3 years as she couldn't get permission from her Head and they cancelled her Summer recruit course twice.

The really good news is that SABRE won't pay schools for cover staff and next year it is illegal for cover for planned absences so the number of teachers in the TA should fall quite a bit. In my understrength Tp - there are 3 teachers (one is geography so it doesn't count) and the new OC is a teacher too, trainee teacher as he can't complain that much !!! :D
 
#16
Nice one Sabre.............. but employers are sneaky twisty turney types........ last year my HR phoned me to ask if I felt that the company supported me in my TA stuff............ I said 'yes', as they paid me one week's pay for annual camp. Then shortly after, they said that they would only let me have time off as unpaid leave......... and deducted 1/2 days hols as I was not at work and on unpaid leave!
 
#17
the article says...

had joined the Territorial Army and a month after "passing out" was asked to deploy to Afghanistan.
I find that hard to believe... one month after passing out?
 
#18
HVM_Boy said:
the article says...

had joined the Territorial Army and a month after "passing out" was asked to deploy to Afghanistan.
I find that hard to believe... one month after passing out?
Not in a medical unit...
 
#19
Yes it is true I know the person in question. I myself deployed after 2 months of getting my beret. I know people here who deployed straight after Chilwell and OPTAG no PDT whatsoever. Having said that I would have prefered it that way as my PDT was bonk...
 
#20
sorry forgot to add...It may be peculiar to my capbadge but we are sending people out in such circumstances all the time with little or no experience in the trade we undertake on ops. The war role in my capbadge is pretty far removed from what we do out here, so everything is new to us. In effect the MOD is getting a superb deal out of us as we must cost a fraction of what it would a regular even on our enhanced wages. It shows just how beneficial (and cost effective) the TA is.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top