The Oath.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by llech, Feb 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I... swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will, as in duty bound, honestly and faithfully defend Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, in Person, Crown and Dignity against all enemies, and will observe and obey all orders of Her Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, and of the generals and officers set over me. So help me God.

This day of all days it seems this will become a contetious issue, I fully remember being sat in a room with a couple of other bods and had just had our Medical ( I was looking forward to a cough and drop as the nurse was fit) but it "wasn't neseccary" apparantly.
    A card was almost tossed at us and we were told to read it, quietly, as I started I realised what it was the above passage. I had seen the oath ceremony a 1000 times on telly before but this was it, all I could think about was tearing into the nurse.

Now I'm not religious nor am I a patriot as such, my reasons for joining were my own but not in the slightest what I could do for my country but where my country could take me to go drinking and shagging.
    The oath was truly meaningless to me. I would, if asked, happily take up arms with gusto but for my own reasons, not 'cos some non existant deity wants me to nor an outdated medeival anachronism.
    I can understand how some would see it as an almost physical bond with Queen and Country, just not me.

Viva La Republic!
  2. Cool story bro
  3. Fundmentally really interesting... oh wait your a boring ****..
  4. I dont agree with anyting in the OP. Why is it contentious today? It is, and has been for some time, Her Majesty's Armed Forces. Don't want to work for HM? Then don't join!
  5. I remember that day with fond memories. The recruiting Sgt took me by the shoulder and said "follow me son." We walk a few hundred yards to the local church. It was a lovely old building, very picturesque. The dew on the grass was like a carpet of velvet, our breath visible in the air as we walked up the path in silence. Past the graves, the cobwebs shining in the morning sun.

We walked upto the church, a creak as we both pushed open the old wooden doors in unison. He stood still, and ushered me forwards. "to the alter please, I want to hear the sacred words ring out."

I walked proudly up the aisle of the deserted church, a warm feeling pouring over me as I walked through the ray of light beaming in through the stained glass window. God was with me all the way.

I reached the alter, turned, and saw the look of pride in the Sgts eyes as I read out the most hallow of hallow bond from the card in my hands. I think he shed a tear, but I couldn't swear to it.

It was so emotional that I felt faint, but I gathered all my strength and recited the scripture, word for word. Perfect. The accoustics in the church were amazing. I wanted to read it again, louder! But I didn't.

I walked back to the front of the church, and we both walked outside, back into the crisp morning air. Some small dears pranced amongst the graves.........

Get a ******* grip you homo.
    • Like Like x 11
  6. I had to deny I was one of those too!
  7. And the plural of DEER is?
  8. I told them to take their stinking Almighty and shove it, so they gave me an Atheist version.
  9. Venison?
  10. Dears :)
  11. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

fel ai a decendand chan Owain Glyndŵr arddeledig 'r Cymraeg gorsedda dyngech arfoll atyn?

Oh and i'll still buy you a pint you miserable republican bastard. Hope to come back to the peninsula this year. I want to trekk up Tre'r Ceiri for a mooch around.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. In this day and age you should be able to serve your country alone. It should not be necessary to pledge your allegiance to an unelected head of state.

I'd be more than willing to protect the people of this country but accept that I'm not even a citizen of this country but a subject.....No way
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Unalected head of state?? She's the ******* Queen you wretch.
  14. You say it should not be neccesary. Unelected has nothing to do with it - The Queen is the head of state. And its her Army. Accept it for what it is or find another job. That is why we have the oath, so that people like you can make an informed choice. It appears that, given a choice of A or B, you wish to opt for C - well there is no C.
  15. In this day and age I think it a shame that we cant incarcerate people in the tower for being malcontents.