The nuclear deterrent and reasons for its replacement

Well the low yield ones that are employing to counter the Russians, should be no greater than 8 KT.
Google it.

If you can find a UK MoD site saying what yields our Tridents have I’ll be very surprised.

However, I’m neither qualified nor willing to speculate or quote from non-official sources.

Regards,
MM

Perhaps; but I can find no official sources defining what yields are available.

Regards,
MM
The only official comment on the matter came from George Robertson in 1998, answering a parliamentary written question, where he said that the UK has 'some flexibility in the choice of yield for the warhead on its Trident missile.' (HC Deb 19 March 1998 vol 308 c724W)

AFAIK, this is about as far as any official source has gone in terms of talking about yields; much speculation based upon that official source ensued...

Yokel

LE
Without them the nuclear reactors of all US SSBNs, SSNs and CVNs cannot be operated though... They could replace them with a home developed version but it would take years (and $billions) to adequately replicate the methods and technology. Same for the American bits of the delivery system but more complicated. Its cheaper for both of our nations to cooperate.
Good to know that our exports to the US are not limited to @LJONESY indulging in Mince Pies and Jaffa Cakes. There were other British companies that supply systems for US Submarines are are considered important.

MM
Do you know if the U.K. will or does have a low yield warhead for your Tridents?
I think that the information is out there somewhere in the public domain.

D

Deleted 24582

Good to know that our exports to the US are not limited to @LJONESY indulging in Mince Pies and Jaffa Cakes. There were other British companies that supply systems for US Submarines are are considered important.

I think that the information is out there somewhere in the public domain.
I imagine you folks do, but digging through google is fun.

...I think that the information is out there somewhere in the public domain.
However, unless something like this is placed in the public forum by an official source such as the MoD or RN, it shouldn’t be speculated on.

Regards,
MM

D

Deleted 24582

However, unless something like this is placed in the public forum by an official source such as the MoD or RN, it shouldn’t be speculated on.

Regards,
MM

You have less than two hundred warheads and a max of 40 on any SSBN at any given time with about 8 Missiles per boat. I would imagine that you do have the ability to dial a yield on a few, since they are the only nuclear warheads the UK posses. Maintaining parity with the Russians is also important and options are great.

I don't see any reason I shouldn't speculate on it, I'm retired and clearly haven't a clue of the real answer. You on the other hand may be advised not speculate on a matter about which you might have classified knowledge.

Regards,
MM
You have less than two hundred warheads and a max of 40 on any SSBN at any given time with about 8 Missiles per boat. I would imagine that you do have the ability to dial a yield on a few, since they are the only nuclear warheads the UK posses. Maintaining parity with the Russians is also important and options are great.
The House of Commons Defence Select Committee, which seems like a reasonably official source to me, had this to say
Select Committee on Defence: Eighth Report said:
A Minimum Nuclear Deterrent Force: The SDR prescribed further limitations on the maximum number of warheads to be deployed on each of the UK's Vanguard-class submarines. Although each Trident II D5 missile is capable of carrying up to 12 warheads, the SDR stipulated that no more than 3 warheads would be fitted to each missile. Some missiles are believed to carry a single warhead and the warheads themselves are believed to be of variable yields. The precise number of warheads carried on patrol at any given time remains classified information.

D

Deleted 24582

The House of Commons Defence Select Committee, which seems like a reasonably official source to me, had this to say
The Low yield weapons would more than likely be placed as a single weapon on one or two missiles. The high yield warheads will be on the remaining 5-6 birds. I dunno about only capping each Trident at 3 MIRV's, kinda of a waste of missile unless you folks have some decoys to place on the suckers.

But in the next decade or so Minuteman III might be replaced!!

Well it’s not as if it’s rocket science after all.

I’ll get me coat.
I’ve done rocket science - it’s not that hard.

Three dimensional vector calculus on the other hand...

Yokel

LE

Regards,
MM
Agree. My father was present at one of the Christmas Island H Bomb tests as a young sailor. The dozy fool looked at the rising mushroom cloud and thought it a thing of beauty.

Thirty or so years later the daft bugger was having a bonfire, with two young sons present. Despite fire awareness from his naval service, working in industry, and common sense, he thought that pouring a can of petrol on the bonfire would be a good idea.

We can safely say all possible warhead yields are somewhere between the two.

Well the low yield ones that are employing to counter the Russians, should be no greater than 8 KT.
According to estimates, mind you, this is not official:

"Most British weapons have a yield of 80 to 100 kilotons – seven or eight times the destructive power dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. But some are much smaller – 10 to 15 kilotons. "

D

Deleted 24582

According to estimates, mind you, this is not official:

"Most British weapons have a yield of 80 to 100 kilotons – seven or eight times the destructive power dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. But some are much smaller – 10 to 15 kilotons. "
Sorry meant to reference the W76-2, which are going on American Boats as a means to match the Russians.

endure

GCM

Latest Threads