• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

The nuclear deterrent and reasons for its replacement

Most of the imported materiel is from the US. The engineers will generally be UK or US nationals. When Thales took the contracts they have, they were required to form a separate UK company, with a firebreak between the UK and non-UK parts.
I think though most experienced nuclear engineers working for RR "ave a fonny accent and a penchant for garlic.." these days, since we have not built a home grown reactor for ages..!

ugly

LE
While you appeared to be in a bit of a bad mood when you wrote the above, I'm not too fussed (and actually agree with you on several points). However, what are these 'rubbish' AWACS and homeland defence only aircraft we ordered?!

Regards,
MM
Those fantastic Nimrods
And yes I was having a monk on.
Frankly we are skint.

I think though most experienced nuclear engineers working for RR "ave a fonny accent and a penchant for garlic.." these days, since we have not built a home grown reactor for ages..!
Funny - what do they put in the Astute boats then?

Apart from Dreadnought (the first UK SSN - which used a reactor supplied by the United States to save time) every British SSN and SSBN has had a British designed and built reactor. Submarine nuclear propulsion is one of those things so senstive that not only is it Top Secret but it is code worded.

Likewise France is sensitive about their naval reactors. Allegedly someone from our side of Le Manche went and had a look at their new carrier (Charles De Gaulle) and her reactor as she was being constructed. Allegedly!

I am not sure Rolls Rolls are involved in civil nuclear projects.

Last edited:
Funny - what do they put in the Astute boats then?

Apart from Dreadnought (the first UK SSN - which used a reactor supplied by the United States to save time) every British SSN and SSBN has had a British designed and built reactor. Submarine nuclear propulsion is one of those things so senstive that not only is it Top Secret but it is code worded.

Likewise France is sensitive about their naval reactors. Allegedly someone from our side of Le Manche went and had a look at their new carrier (Charles De Gaulle) and her reactor as she was being constructed. Allegedly!

I am not sure Rolls Rolls are involved in civil nuclear projects.
.... however, people that can build reactors do not grow on trees!

Last edited:
Likewise France is sensitive about their naval reactors.
We'd be sensitive too if our reactors were enough of a radhaz that matelots were growing two heads and glowing in the dark. Have you ever seen the marine engineering officer off the Charles de Gaulle? He looks like the "don't walk" man off of a pelican crossing. When the poor sod nips out for a quick Gauloise he has to stay on the port side of the ship.

That's Derby for you.
More likely a further eastern accent than the garlic munchers
normanton-road-derby-de23-000006598_267833_IMG_00.jpg

ugly

LE
The RN want to spend money we dont have well there's a surprise. Procurement is pants in this country but the RN have just blown the budget on a brace of flat tops that are so expensive they are allowing the RAF to use them. :wink:
The RN are calling what would have been a launch thirty years ago a ship and making a fuss about it. Deary me I know that no single service is perfect but they have had a go and thats enough, time for someone else to get into the empty purse.

We'd be sensitive too if our reactors were enough of a radhaz that matelots were growing two heads and glowing in the dark. Have you ever seen the marine engineering officer off the Charles de Gaulle? He looks like the "don't walk" man off of a pelican crossing. When the poor sod nips out for a quick Gauloise he has to stay on the port side of the ship.

The RN want to spend money we dont have well there's a surprise. Procurement is pants in this country but the RN have just blown the budget on a brace of flat tops that are so expensive they are allowing the RAF to use them. :wink:
The RN are calling what would have been a launch thirty years ago a ship and making a fuss about it. Deary me I know that no single service is perfect but they have had a go and thats enough, time for someone else to get into the empty purse.
Do you ever stop and think before you post in this forum or do you simply think your ignorance will impress people?

Just blown the budget
- not the most expensive item in the equipment programme by far, and largely paid for years ago.

....allowing the RAF to use them - that was the idea all along!

...calling what would have been a launch thirty years ago a ship.... - I presume you are talking about HMSML Gleaner being replaced by HMS Magpie? I am not old enougth to remember her launch, but much was made of Gleaner's unique attributes over the years.

How much money was spent on FRES?

Meanwhile - back to Trident etc:

Labour frontbencher’s plan to scrap Trident to be considered by Shadow Cabinet

The next big Labour row: Terrific scoop this morning from the Yorkshire Post’s Arj Singh, who reveals a plan is being hatched by Jeremy Corbyn’s Shadow Peace Minister Fabian Hamilton to shift the party’s position on Trident.

Labour’s current policy — heavily guided by trade unions like Unite — is to back the renewal of Trident even though Corbyn himself is a veteran anti-nukes campaigner. But Singh reveals Hamilton is working on a “defense diversification strategy” in which high-skilled defense workers would be retrained for industries like health technology.

Asked if that could pave the way for unions to change position and support the scrapping of Trident, Hamilton says: “I sincerely hope so. I have always said party policy says we should renew Trident, but I say we should scrap it. That is also the view of the leader of the party.”

I bet Vlad will being ramping up the trolling and fake news on social media to try to get an early election.

Meanwhile - back to Trident etc:

Labour frontbencher’s plan to scrap Trident to be considered by Shadow Cabinet

The next big Labour row: Terrific scoop this morning from the Yorkshire Post’s Arj Singh, who reveals a plan is being hatched by Jeremy Corbyn’s Shadow Peace Minister Fabian Hamilton to shift the party’s position on Trident.

Labour’s current policy — heavily guided by trade unions like Unite — is to back the renewal of Trident even though Corbyn himself is a veteran anti-nukes campaigner. But Singh reveals Hamilton is working on a “defense diversification strategy” in which high-skilled defense workers would be retrained for industries like health technology.

Asked if that could pave the way for unions to change position and support the scrapping of Trident, Hamilton says: “I sincerely hope so. I have always said party policy says we should renew Trident, but I say we should scrap it. That is also the view of the leader of the party.”

I bet Vlad will being ramping up the trolling and fake news on social media to try to get an early election.
I have no doubt whatsoever that should - god forbid - he be elected, the first order Corbyn would give as PM would be to recall the at sea deterrent boat and cancel all future patrols pending a Defence review with an inevitable decision to unilaterally disarm. Indeed, I suspect much of his social agenda assumes the transfer of successor funding.

Regards,
MM

AfghanAndy

On ROPS
On ROPs
I have no doubt whatsoever that should - god forbid - he be elected, the first order Corbyn would give as PM would be to recall the at sea deterrent boat and cancel all future patrols pending a Defence review with an inevitable decision to unilaterally disarm. Indeed, I suspect much of his social agenda assumes the transfer of successor funding.

Regards,
MM
I suspect that the first thing Corbyn will do if elected is back peddle on Trident, student loans, nationalisation and employees owning 10% of the company they work for.

I reckon he'll fund most of that from Dreadnought and other defence cuts.

Regards,
MM

AfghanAndy

On ROPS
On ROPs
I reckon he'll fund most of that from Dreadnought and other defence cuts.

Regards,
MM
Trident replacement expenditure is a mere drop in the ocean to public expenditure.

The useful idiots have always inflated its costs and use knowingly try to use through life costs as annual costs.

Trident replacement expenditure is a mere drop in the ocean to public expenditure...
But in my view Labour will link the presentational opportunities presented by dispensing with our nuclear deterrent, slashing defence and increasing expenditure on welfare and public services to increase their appeal to younger voters and left wing 'Momentum' members.

Whether it's a valid argument is immaterial.

Regards,
MM

AfghanAndy

On ROPS
On ROPs
But in my view Labour will link the presentational opportunities presented by dispensing with our nuclear deterrent, slashing defence and increasing expenditure on welfare and public services to increase their appeal to younger voters and left wing 'Momentum' members.

Whether it's a valid argument is immaterial.

Regards,
MM
They can slash defence spending but it won’t make a dent in the welfare bill

They can slash defence spending but it won’t make a dent in the welfare bill
As I say, that's immaterial when their priority will be to win votes.

Regards,
MM