The nothing to do with transgender thread

Was it like this?

View attachment 555418

Once you "thought like me", now... now... you received your revalation. Did you suddenly become one of the "elect"? Are you welcome in Prince Harry and Meghan's inner circle? Are you just... well.... better than the rest of us because of your enlightenment?

Oh, and by the way, (gen) I have a BSc (physics) and an MSc both from the same global top 10 university so "scientifically illiterate" is fundamentally mis-applied.

The thing about science is it's often quoted as the absolute answer to any determinate question. The thing about science is it is a theory backed up by an interpretation of the evidence. Scientists very rarely agree about anything to the point that when one produces evidence that the theory of the other is a pile of crap they start taking chunks out of each other. Go and have a look at Isaac Newton and his petty rivalries with both Hook and Leibniz.

Do yourself a favour, stop telling someone with a solid scientific education about the nature of science and using it to back up the fervour of your own opinion as if it were an absolute. You are the very dictionary definition of irony. Cnut.
There was no moment of revelation - there was the usual ‘this is bullshit phase’ leading to examining the evidence, reading up on the science and eventually acceptance that I was wrong. The pain of cognitive dissonance was real but eventually accepted.

I should also note that I am considered somewhat right of centre in areas in which I contribute to the discussion - I am not some lefty snowflake, nor woke fellow traveller of Titania McGrath.

I would suggest that you misinterpretation of what a scientific theory is would indicate that you should undertake a period of navel gazing as to the value of YOUR scientific education. You might also want to consider that rather than having a hissy fit about my pointing out your ignorance on this subject you should possibly try to refute the points in the article, or the primary sources used.
If you cannot do so using solid science then maybe you need to accept that your opinion is based on fallacious reasoning rather than fact.

Ooooh I didn't realise Einstein wrote the "Toolset of Relativity". Thanks for enlightening me on that.

It's not like "science" comes up with theories that are disproved later on. Like Phlogiston, as materials were observed to loose mass following combustion it was presumed that there was an ephimeral substance which was released when a material burned. Oxygen not having been discovered at this point oxidation wasn't even a concept.

Or the Expanding Earth Theory, or the Theory of Spontaneous Generation, or the existence of Lumiferous Ether, Caloric Theory, the Stress Theory of Ulcers, Tabula Rasa, or the Blank State Theory...

Noooooooo science doesn't have "theories" that try to explain the data at all...... it's not like when you pursue something you don't have a theory as a starting point, a "null hypothesis" to coin the Greek term for.... theory. The clue of classical scientific method is contained in the fukcing name for fuks sake.

I really am arguing with stupid....
No you really are making stuff up to suit your own opinions, which is pretty much the opposite of scientific method. You obviously also don't know the definitions in Science, of Postulation, Hypotheses and Theory. You bluffing walting twat.

From your post " The thing about science is it is a theory backed up by an interpretation of the evidence", balls, that's not what science is, that's a step of the metholdolgy. So either you are shit at science, or shit at English.
"A theory is a carefully thought-out explanation for observations of the natural world that has been constructed using the scientific method, and which brings together many facts and hypotheses"

Maybe a nice colourful picture will help, but I think you will still struggle.

1615204441023.png

Indirectly, being based at Abell Hse at the time.

Women aren't categorised as "A-D" risk as men are, they are in either in Restricted or Closed conditions, or Open when in the resettlement phase similar to men or for minor offences not involving an offence against the person. A very small number require additional measures (Michelle Dennehey, Rose West as 2 examples who were kept in male Cat A conditions until they system sorted out what to do with them). Holloway was one of 2 female prisons with a higher number of Restricted (the categorisation in female prisons tends to be about the regime rather than the physical difference and it is common to have women in both R and C conditions in the same establishment in the same way that A Prisons have B prisoners in the male estate as all of the Cat A's reside in the Close Supervision and Surveillance Unit separate from the B gen pop).

If Holloway had been a men's prison 80% of the population would have been over the wall in minutes, especially from the Health Unit at the back of the nick where the wall was only about 10 feet high with no secure inner line.

The interesting differences in male/female pops was that women had a greater propensity to self harm than men, were generally less violent towards staff and each other, and the incidents of self harm grew exponentially when the numbers on a wing grew beyond 30. The psychology of women in prisons is markedly different to men.

I worked for a private provider a few years after leaving NOMS and went back into the world of prisons and there were a couple in our nicks on remand. One took to parading round in a glittery boob tube and hot pants (remands can wear their own clothes as they are not yet convicted where "prisoners" have to earn the privilige) but had no interest in the men in the prison (so not gay). This was a particularly violent individual who was in for attempted murder having stabbed someone multiple times and was linked to a number of violent attacks on women. On day 1 admitted to the 1st Night Unit as a man, within a week declaring himself to be a woman and demanding a transfer to a women's prison. HMPPS tied themselves up in politically correct knots trying to work out what to do until he strung himself up having got life at the end of the trial.

Sorry, I didn't realise that having an opinion that differs from yours based on real life experience required a standard of academic study, evidence and peer review sufficient to be published as a doctoral thesis at a university of sufficient standing to satisfy your call to authority to be considered in any way valid. I'll remember that next time I'm posting in the NAAFI on ARRSE.

Thank you for the history lesson.
Irony. I have an opinion that doesn't agree with you and you get a shitty on.
What you posted was a sweeping generalisation about women in prison and contrary to my experience.
Sorry if I upset your tender feelings; not really.

Seems that they are a bit noncy.

A government survey has counted 125 transgender prisoners in England and Wales, but the Ministry of Justice says these figures are not yet a reliable reflection of the true numbers. The MoJ says 60 of them have been convicted of one or more sexual offences but it didn't identify their gender. There are likely to be more trans inmates, on shorter sentences and who are less likely to be sex offenders, who don't show up in this data.

Of the 60 serving time for sexual offences:

• 27 were convicted of rape (plus a further five of attempted rape)
  • 13 were convicted of possessing, distributing or making indecent images of children
  • 13 were convicted of sexual assault or attempted sexual assault
  • Nine were convicted of causing or inciting a child under 16 to engage in sexual activity
  • Seven were convicted of sexual activity with a child
  • Seven were convicted of indecent assault or gross indecency
Interesting figures Stacker.
I'm inclined to wonder if there may be a bit of "chicken and egg" situation?
What came first, transgender or sex offender?

The thing that gets me is the hypocrisy. If I complain that the women I'm attracted to don't want to have sex with me, I'm rightly described as an entitled bell end. However if I don't want to have sex with a trans woman who's attracted to me I'm transphobic.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

Mattb

LE
No, it's not, otherwise it would be biologically possible for one man to impregnate another to gestation.
Why is that necessary for it to be normal? Is surrogacy abnormal? Is adoption by a heterosexual couple abnormal? Is IVF abnormal?

Why is that necessary for it to be normal? Is surrogacy abnormal? Is adoption by a heterosexual couple abnormal? Is IVF abnormal?
Adoption has never been abnormal.

Surrogacy abnormal? Yes, paying someone to carry a child not their own is no more normal than picking eye colour and genetic traits from a catalogue as seems to be more than possible in the murky industry of baby creation these days.

It seems you view Huxley as less an author of impending dystopia than a how-to guide and you don't find that as worrying as I do. I just wonder where you do draw the line?

Mattb

LE
Adoption has never been abnormal.

Surrogacy abnormal? Yes, paying someone to carry a child not their own is no more normal than picking eye colour and genetic traits from a catalogue as seems to be more than possible in the murky industry of baby creation these days.

It seems you view Huxley as less an author of impending dystopia than a how-to guide and you don't find that as worrying as I do. I just wonder where you do draw the line?
So adoption is perfectly normal, so long as it's not the gays doing it?

What if there was a family of three siblings - one sister (a single mother) and two brothers? The sister dies in the car accident so the brothers team up to raise their nephew - is that OK in your book? So long as there's no bumming involved?

Are stepchildren normal on your planet?

What if there was a family of three siblings - one sister (a single mother) and two brothers? The sister dies in the car accident so the brothers team up to raise their nephew - is that OK in your book? So long as there's no bumming involved?

I notice you avoided answering my question about where your ethical red lines are.

I notice you avoided answering my question about where your ethical red lines are.
I wouldn't take soma myself, but I wouldn't be too concerned if you took quite a lot some.

I wouldn't take soma myself, but I wouldn't be too concerned if you took quite a lot some.
Say again in English, a bit early to be hitting the Turps, don't you think?

why-is-yawning-contagious01.jpg

You then move it forward in degrees. The shows about gay lifestyle (Queer Eye) where there's an inverse mockery of the style of straight men (only gays are stylish).
So? There's been plenty of shows that mock gay people.
The you start to become more graphic and push the boundaries of acceptable taste. A few programmes featuring the first gay kiss, then the first pre-watershed gay sex, then it becomes open season for graphic nudity and portrayal.
You're clutching at your pearls there, Mildred. The same standards to nudity apply to heterosexual nudity as to homosexual.
The you move it forward. McCains chip adverts showing men and women in same sex relationships kissing at tea time when young kids are likely to be watching with the message that they are families just like yours' only they have a daddy and a daddy and it's all perfectly normal.
It is perfectly normal, just less common.
Meanwhile RuPaul's Drag Race and pretty much every programme on E! involving flagrantly gay sales staff flogging overpriced wedding dresses to women with more money than self-esteem.
So? Stop watching it. My Mrs loves RuPaul's Drag Race; I can't stand it - so I don't watch it. It's fairly popular, so there must be plenty of people like her who want to see it.

Say again in English, a bit early to be hitting the Turps, don't you think?
I assumed from your reference to Huxley that you have read Brave New World, obviously not as it turns out.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The thing that gets me is the hypocrisy. If I complain that the women I'm attracted to don't want to have sex with me, I'm rightly described as an entitled bell end. However if I don't want to have sex with a trans woman who's attracted to me I'm transphobic.
Shims aren't hypocritical you XRW racist entitled frankenphobe.

Mattb

LE
Because it makes no sense. Where are the ethical issues with adoption exactly?

Daz

LE
Because it makes no sense. Where are the ethical issues with adoption exactly?
Transracial adoptions for one- . The Children Act 1989 and Adoption and Children Act 2002 state that in England and Wales an adoption agency must give due consideration to a child's religious persuasion, racial origin and cultural and linguistic background; this requirement was repealed for England in the Children and Families Act 2014

So, ethical speaking, what is the best option for the child? that is an ongoing argument

Mattb

LE
Transracial adoptions for one- . The Children Act 1989 and Adoption and Children Act 2002 state that in England and Wales an adoption agency must give due consideration to a child's religious persuasion, racial origin and cultural and linguistic background; this requirement was repealed for England in the Children and Families Act 2014

So, ethical speaking, what is the best option for the child? that is an ongoing argument
Zero issues with ethnicity as far as I'm concerned; as a child gets older I'd say that finding a culturally-appropriate family does become more important though.