The Northern Lights

Discussion in 'Travel' started by DarkNinja, Nov 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am being harrassed by Mrs D_N to take her and the offspring to see the Northern Lights. A quick google and some robbing cruise operator wanted £2000 - EACH! **** that

Has any Arrser done it? what is the DS solution? Gotta be a cheaper way of seeing this natural beauty?

2. I am from up north and I can get hold of some lights.

£200 each and a better offer you will not find even on Ebay.

3. Go to John O'Groats in the middle of winter - I've been told you can see them from there on a clear night. Cheap and she'll never want to return! Failing that You can see them from BATUS, but from there you can only see the lights, rather than the swirling itself, Northern Canada might be more successful.

4. There is no guarantee that you will see them as it's down to weather and atmospheric conditions. Mrs RP and I went to Iceland and saw them there.
    We booked our own flights and hotels online and signed up for trips at the hotel. The hotel lobby had a computer which showed the likelihood of the northern lights showing.
    I cant remember how much it was though as I have slept since then, but it was cheaper than a cruise.

5. Blackpool Illuminations? She'll never know the difference. Or if you're intent on visiting the Far North, there's a pub of that name on Great Northern St, Aberdeen.

6. RP thanks for that. Easyjet time!

7. It is horribly expensive in Iceland and I do mean horribly.

8. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

A flight to Narvik or Tromso. Norway is also expensive, though, and you'll need a decent weather window.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Is Iceland still as expensive since it went bust? I guess inflation is high, but compared to the credit boom?

10. Saw them many times in Ballykelly...

11. Occasionally you can see them as far south as Hull. Or is that the loom of burning cars on Bransholme?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

I missed it in Kiruna, Sweden when I went in for another pint. Hit or miss depending on the location, cloud cover and time of year. The whole thing can go tits up if the weather sets in and is miserable. Wrong kind of cloud, snow, rain - all that shit.

13. We were there March 2010 and the place was expensive, but not 2k per person expensive. We booked through expedia.co.uk and stayed in the hotel Bjork in Rekyavik. As the hotel was bed and breakfast we made the most of the breakfast by stuffing ourselves on it and making sandwiches for lunch from the buffet breakfast bar.
    Mrs RP thinks it was about £400 pp plus trip cost and food when we got there. Have a read of the lonely planet book for trip and best places to eat.

14. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I'm leaving on Saturday for Northern Finland for my annual cross country skiing season start boot camp. Been doing it the same week for 6 years and see them well on average every other year....a week of cloud/snow is more the norm.

15. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

LancePrivateJones is a lying bastard. I bought some fairy lights off of him in good faith last Christmas and put them on the tree. They went BANG and set fire to the dogs tail. He ran off and his flaming tail set fire to the curtains. The rest is history. I am still in therapy. Bastard.

The Northern Lights is a hit or miss affair. You need to get up North, Finland way. But in a week up there, there is no guarantee you will see them. Depends upon all sorts of weird meteorological shit. But there is ice hotels, husky dog sledging, those jet-ski's that run on ice and mental Scowegian rally driver types. I'd say book your own stuff on Expedia then make friends once you are up there. You will have a better time than booking some ******* £2k tour operator from the UK.

And Santa lives there.

• Like Like x 1