Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The noble art of being a Military Scoundrel

Eddie Chapman

Coldstream Guardsman, safe cracker, thief burglar German Spy and British Double agent

William Martin

Royal Marine and top Bluffer who fooled the Germans by being dead and Welsh.

William martin was the given name of a fictitious RM officer, used by the British military to fool the Germans. His real name was Gyndwr Martin, an itinerant traveler, and odd job man. found dead and used as bait. He had no known living relatives. Operation mincemeat. Film 1956. :salut:

William martin was the given name of a fictitious RM officer, used by the British military to fool the Germans. His real name was Gyndwr Martin, an itinerant traveler, and odd job man. found dead and used as bait. He had no known living relatives. Operation mincemeat. Film 1956. :salut:
“The Man Who Never Was”

“The Man Who Never Was”
Glad you told us that, I only reviewed the book, so there was a chance I knew the names of the chief protagonists as well as the film title.

In the original film which I'm sure was called "The man who never was" (someone will correct me I'm sure) the RAF officer in the briefing is Even Montagu the officer behind the whole thing.

He was also reportedly the judge who threatened actor Trevor Howard with jail for claiming he had an M.C. when he didn't

In the original film which I'm sure was called "The man who never was" (someone will correct me I'm sure) the RAF officer in the briefing is Even Montagu the officer behind the whole thing.

He was also reportedly the judge who threatened actor Trevor Howard with jail for claiming he had an M.C. when he didn't
Ewen's brother was a world class ping pong player, film maker and communist spy, who married a woman called Hell.
The Gregg school in Swaythling was their former family home.

Last edited:

Ewen Edward Samuel Montagu CBE QC DL (19 March 1901 – 19 July 1985) was a British judge, Naval intelligence officer and author. He is best known for his leading role in Operation Mincemeat.

You reviewed the book? Fcuk me, you’re quick off the mark. I’ve got a copy of it on my shelf that was written in 1953.
The book I reviewed in 2016 was published in ............2016! It is only occasionally that a book worthy of repeat is reviewed more than once. Here's another version....
B0035G8GPC.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

It will probably be reviewed again, perhaps even by myself. Hope that clears things up.

The book I reviewed in 2016 was published in ............2016! It is only occasionally that a book worthy of repeat is reviewed more than once. Here's another version....
View attachment 653735
It will probably be reviewed again, perhaps even by myself. Hope that clears things up.

A minor Fred Riff:

The forthcoming fillum would seem to be a Chernobyl Old Comrades reunion.

Jason Issacs - Admiral John Godfrey/Georgy Zhukov

(Sir) Simon Russell-Beale - WSC/TC Beria

Paul Ritter - Sir William Purchase/Anatoly Dyatlov

Looking forward to the 15th April.

A minor Fred Riff:

The forthcoming fillum would seem to be a Chernobyl Death of Stalin Old Comrades reunion.

Jason Issacs - Admiral John Godfrey/Georgy Zhukov

(Sir) Simon Russell-Beale - WSC/TC Beria

Paul Ritter - Sir William Purchase/Anatoly Dyatlov

Looking forward to the 15th April.
Fixed