The noble art of being a Military Scoundrel

RNR Stoker

Old-Salt
In the original film which I'm sure was called "The man who never was" (someone will correct me I'm sure) the RAF officer in the briefing is Even Montagu the officer behind the whole thing.

He was also reportedly the judge who threatened actor Trevor Howard with jail for claiming he had an M.C. when he didn't
Ewen's brother was a world class ping pong player, film maker and communist spy, who married a woman called Hell.
The Gregg school in Swaythling was their former family home.

Last edited:

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
In the original film which I'm sure was called "The man who never was" (someone will correct me I'm sure) the RAF officer in the briefing is Even Montagu the officer behind the whole thing.

He was also reportedly the judge who threatened actor Trevor Howard with jail for claiming he had an M.C. when he didn't
Ewen Edward Samuel Montagu CBE QC DL (19 March 1901 – 19 July 1985) was a British judge, Naval intelligence officer and author. He is best known for his leading role in Operation Mincemeat.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You reviewed the book? Fcuk me, you’re quick off the mark. I’ve got a copy of it on my shelf that was written in 1953.
The book I reviewed in 2016 was published in ............2016! It is only occasionally that a book worthy of repeat is reviewed more than once. Here's another version....
B0035G8GPC.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

It will probably be reviewed again, perhaps even by myself. Hope that clears things up.

The book I reviewed in 2016 was published in ............2016! It is only occasionally that a book worthy of repeat is reviewed more than once. Here's another version....
View attachment 653735
It will probably be reviewed again, perhaps even by myself. Hope that clears things up.

A minor Fred Riff:

The forthcoming fillum would seem to be a Chernobyl Old Comrades reunion.

Jason Issacs - Admiral John Godfrey/Georgy Zhukov

(Sir) Simon Russell-Beale - WSC/TC Beria

Paul Ritter - Sir William Purchase/Anatoly Dyatlov

Looking forward to the 15th April.

Moglington

Old-Salt
A minor Fred Riff:

The forthcoming fillum would seem to be a Chernobyl Death of Stalin Old Comrades reunion.

Jason Issacs - Admiral John Godfrey/Georgy Zhukov

(Sir) Simon Russell-Beale - WSC/TC Beria

Paul Ritter - Sir William Purchase/Anatoly Dyatlov

Looking forward to the 15th April.
Fixed

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
His life and exploits inspired the naval fiction of 19th- and 20th-century novelists, particularly the fictional characters C. S. Forester's Horatio Hornblower and Patrick O'Brian's Jack Aubrey.
The only passing likeness to Cochrane in the Hornblower stories is the 'gentleman adventurer' who appears in the story 'The Guns of Carabobo' when Hornblower is Flag officer in the West Indies.

The character of Hornblower himself was nothing like Cochrane, who was what CS Forester described as a
' political officer.'

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Precisely - Hurrah for The Corps (of Royal Engineers)

Coming round 'ere claiming Royal connections - I have to inform you you're just another of our bastard progeny (but of good stock unlike RCT who took up with loggies... We're slightly ashamed if the RAF though).
The RCT took on RE stuff, it wasn’t born of your lot. Most of it was RASC (-).

At the end of the day, almost everyone can trace their way back to year dot if they try hard enough…

Except the stackers obviously!;-)

The only passing likeness to Cochrane in the Hornblower stories is the 'gentleman adventurer' who appears in the story 'The Guns of Carabobo' when Hornblower is Flag officer in the West Indies.

The character of Hornblower himself was nothing like Cochrane, who was what CS Forester described as a
' political officer.'
That’s rubbish. He was political in later life due to his ongoing fights with the establishment and admiralty.
In his younger years his courage, leadership and obvious skill were quite amazing.

Autobiography of a Seaman - Lord Thomas Cochrane

This guy deserves a film of his own reminds you of the cartoon character in the Victor who climbed up rocks to get the stuff from the Germans

By all accounts one of my great uncles done time with him after the war.
Will stick my great uncle in here as well, Not sure what regt he was as only seen him occasionally and he died in 1991,
Was recommended for a DCM for actions in Holland or Belgium and was laid up in a field hospital so they got bored and broke out and took a Bren carrier with them and used it to ram raid the doors of a barn where a load of wine was stored that they knew about and proceeded to get hammered then decided to drive back to the hospital when they rolled the carrier and got a DCM of a different type for their trouble.

Done a bank in over there as well and burnt the notes to keep warm.

After the war used a hearse to rob a safe and only got away as police started after him and safe rolled out the window and the chase motor drove into it.

Only just before he died after much pestering by the RBL did he apply for his medals and a pension for taking a couple of rounds in his stomach.

Latest Threads