The noble art of being a Military Scoundrel

Seven pages in and I´m amazed this cad hasn´t featured yet. Surely he´s the very definition of a military scoundrel. Although no military genius by any stretch of the imagination, he was very well liked by his men, particularly in his Granby squadron. The phrase "that Major Hewitt, he´s a bit of a lad eh?" springs to mind. Also holder of the BBC.

View attachment 653000
He looks just like.......

Never mind.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Eddie Chapman

Coldstream Guardsman, safe cracker, thief burglar German Spy and British Double agent

William Martin

Royal Marine and top Bluffer who fooled the Germans by being dead and Welsh.

I reviewed a book about operation mincemeat and the Welsh tramp, as he was, was definitely identified by all involved. An excellent book an an equally excellent tale.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

RNR Stoker

Old-Salt
Eddie Chapman

Coldstream Guardsman, safe cracker, thief burglar German Spy and British Double agent

William Martin

When staying in Nantes recently I was reading the Ben McIntyre book on Chapman. It turned out the house where he trained was just down the road so we drove there
88 Rue du Millau
The French family I was staying with wanted to knock on the door and look around but I wasn't up for disturbing a stranger. Then back home via some half demolished block house where the Germans murdered a load of civilians.

Eddie Chapman

William Martin

William martin was the given name of a fictitious RM officer, used by the British military to fool the Germans. His real name was Gyndwr Martin, an itinerant traveler, and odd job man. found dead and used as bait. He had no known living relatives. Operation mincemeat. Film 1956. :salut:

William martin was the given name of a fictitious RM officer, used by the British military to fool the Germans. His real name was Gyndwr Martin, an itinerant traveler, and odd job man. found dead and used as bait. He had no known living relatives. Operation mincemeat. Film 1956. :salut:
“The Man Who Never Was”

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Shot his wife's lover in the bollocks while he was having an affair with a brothel madam?
Killed him and got off with it.
Gotta love a guy like that.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
“The Man Who Never Was”
Glad you told us that, I only reviewed the book, so there was a chance I knew the names of the chief protagonists as well as the film title.

Glad you told us that, I only reviewed the book, so there was a chance I knew the names of the chief protagonists as well as the film title.
You reviewed the book? Fcuk me, you’re quick off the mark. I’ve got a copy of it on my shelf that was written in 1953.

Oyibo

LE
View attachment 651479

I'm surprised this chap hasn't got a thread of his own. I bumped into him a few years ago and it was surreal as we both politely danced around the obvious elephant in the room. His parting words of give me a call and my nodding yes are still embarrasing.

A Kiwi by any chance?

syrup

LE

In the original film which I'm sure was called "The man who never was" (someone will correct me I'm sure) the RAF officer in the briefing is Even Montagu the officer behind the whole thing.

He was also reportedly the judge who threatened actor Trevor Howard with jail for claiming he had an M.C. when he didn't