The NHS, wasting my time and theirs with stupid admin.

I need a quick rant.
I've just filled out a form sent to me by my local NHS trust in advance of a treatment I'm going to have.

They sent the form to me after I had been directly referred to them by my GP.
The Form was sent to my house, had my name on it, my Dr's name, my NHS number, trust number, date of birth and age/sex etc etc.

Part of the form was 'needed' to be filled out in case any of my details had changed.
As this was a standard crap admin type form it had boxes where the details had to be filled out. Examples of this were that the box for my GP practice name was way smaller than the box for my postcode, obviously it was impossible to write the practice name all inside the box.
The box to state the relationship of my next of kin (mum, dad, son, brother, parnter etc) was three times larger than the one for the GP practice name.

Now, thats the crappy layout described.

It's possible I could have changed my name, I could have changed sex, but I seriously doubt many people change their date of birth or place of birth!!
I have no control over my trust number so could only re write the number already printed on the form.

My 'favourite' part was that the form asked how I would like to be contacted.
It listed by telephone or by text, but also listed as a contact method 'by email (not available)'. Dont bloody offer it if its not available!

Wait till we ask if you are away in the next 3 months on holiday....and then send you an appointment slap in the middle of your holiday!

Oh and it'll be at dead short notice, so it'll arrive after you leave home, be for a date 2 days hence and at least 10 days before you return from your holiday!

Its our speciality!

Then we'll send you another one with a snotty little paragraph stressing the importance of not wasting NHS time by missing appointments!!

PS small disclaimer....most appt letters/correspondence are sent out from a central hub, so please don't eviscerate the staff when you EVENTUALLY get to see them...its not their **** up!!

Wait till we ask if you are away in the next 3 months on holiday....and then send you an appointment slap in the middle of your holiday!

Oh and it'll be at dead short notice, so it'll arrive after you leave home, be for a date 2 days hence and at least 10 days before you return from your holiday!

Its our speciality!

Then we'll send you another one with a snotty little paragraph stressing the importance of not wasting NHS time by missing appointments!!

PS small disclaimer....most appt letters/correspondence are sent out from a central hub, so please don't eviscerate the staff when you EVENTUALLY get to see them...its not their **** up!!
Oh, dont worry, I wouldnt be rude etc to anyone, plus my other half works for the NHS and I'm more than aware of just how rediculous some things are.

What annoyed was the idea that I may have CHANGED my date or place of birth!
This concept is very different to amending errors or updating home addresses if different to what was already printed on the form.
;)

Before anyone gets 'clever' and says someone might want to change their place of birth from Rhodesia to Zimbabwe I'm guessing the GP would have details more up to date than the '80s.

Or, if someone was a born again Christian the date of birth doesnt change on official forms :)

What annoyed was the idea that I may have CHANGED my date or place of birth!
This concept is very different to amending errors or updating home addresses if different to what was already printed on the form.
;)
It's to allow you to correct any mistakes that may exist on the details they hold.

It's bureaucracy gone mad. I once had a bill from the council for 32p sent to me first class with a pre paid first class envelope enclose. I thought screw them, and sent them a cheque but didn't sign it. A week later, back it came.
Makes you wonder how much it cost them to get that 32p.

Having rearranged hospital appointments, most of which weren't worth the journey and time and the consultants usually contradict the patient: they've always sent the GP their standard "did not attend" letter without mentioning patients' efforts to rearrange and attend another day. That's if the hospital answers the phone. Trivial, but they're on a different planet entirely. Crap NHS admin for sure, otherwise the GP is great and we struck gold there.

It's bureaucracy gone mad. I once had a bill from the council for 32p sent to me first class with a pre paid first class envelope enclose. I thought screw them, and sent them a cheque but didn't sign it. A week later, back it came.
Makes you wonder how much it cost them to get that 32p.
I have another absolute beauty of a council letter.
I once got a council tax payment demand for £0.00 that had to be paid within seven days or the council would start court preceedings.
I went to the council and the person at the help desk explained it was an automated letter and had been an error. Knowing these systems quite well I asked to speak to someone from the correct department and insisted I made a payment of zero.
The person on the help desk thought I was being silly but the person from the council tax dept confirmed the council would have indeed started court preceedings for £0.00 if I hadnt made the payment :)

My first real NHS experience began a few months after leaving the mob. Turned out Derriford hospital had two sets of docs for me. After I was treated for kidney stones I never heard anything more until a follow-up GP appointment - he had a letter forwarded on to him from Drake sickbay- from the SPAC at Derriford, requesting disciplinary action be taken against me for missing an appointment.
I've had lots of NHS dealings the past 6 months. I have a new-found admiration for the jobs the nurses do but - even I, as a lay-person could identify all host of areas they were unnessesarily tying themselves, and beds up. I realise though that much of it is due to our litigious society and the need to dot every 'I' and cross every 'T'. Example - unable to be discharged until given the meds needed. I could have gone to the hospital pharmacy myself but for some reason, a nurse was required to do that bit and issue them to me - meanwhile taking up a room and a bed for the several hours it took. I was then required to go myself to the pharmacy the day after for stuff they'd overlooked the day before.

Try working for them I see it every day
Me too - 12 looong years....appalling waste of money reference procuring any items, we always complained but hey contracts were involved............... they even outsourced part of my job (audio typing) to Seychelles, Bangalore etc, we had to proof read their efforts and correct/print etc, so they could justify downsizing secretaries and employ more managers, words failed me. Only good thing is my NHS pension.;-)

Last edited:
Me too - 12 looong years....appalling waste of money reference procuring any items, we always complained but hey contracts were involved............... we even outsourced part of my job (audio typing) to Seychelles, Bangalore etc, we had to proof read their efforts and correct/print etc, so they could justify downsizing secretaries and employ more managers, words failed me. Only good thing is my NHS pension.;-)
Where my other half works they have spent over £160.000 in a set time period to fund to studies to see if one extra part time audio typist could be afforded.
They didnt have the money after the two studies.
If they had judt hired a part time typist in this same period it would have cost £90.000.

All of the staff have had to apply for their own jobs three times despite there being no new recruitment.

Where my other half works they have spent over £160.000 in a set time period to fund to studies to see if one extra part time audio typist could be afforded.
They didnt have the money after the two studies.
If they had judt hired a part time typist in this same period it would have cost £90.000.

All of the staff have had to apply for their own jobs three times despite there being no new recruitment.
It sounds most familiar, what a disgrace eh, a private company would never operate like that, shareholders would have dealt short sharp P45s I am sure.:crazy:

I need a quick rant.
I've just filled out a form sent to me by my local NHS trust in advance of a treatment I'm going to have.

They sent the form to me after I had been directly referred to them by my GP.
The Form was sent to my house, had my name on it, my Dr's name, my NHS number, trust number, date of birth and age/sex etc etc.

Part of the form was 'needed' to be filled out in case any of my details had changed.
As this was a standard crap admin type form it had boxes where the details had to be filled out. Examples of this were that the box for my GP practice name was way smaller than the box for my postcode, obviously it was impossible to write the practice name all inside the box.
The box to state the relationship of my next of kin (mum, dad, son, brother, parnter etc) was three times larger than the one for the GP practice name.

Now, thats the crappy layout described.

It's possible I could have changed my name, I could have changed sex, but I seriously doubt many people change their date of birth or place of birth!!
I have no control over my trust number so could only re write the number already printed on the form.

My 'favourite' part was that the form asked how I would like to be contacted.
It listed by telephone or by text, but also listed as a contact method 'by email (not available)'. Dont bloody offer it if its not available!
Be happy in the knowledge that your contribution is part of a gigantic effort to keep thousands of otherwise unemployable civil servants gainfully employed for years to come.

Be happy in the knowledge that your contribution is part of a gigantic effort to keep thousands of otherwise unemployable civil servants gainfully employed for years to come.

Sshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
There is one sat next to me right now ;)

I need a quick rant.
Don't worry about that. Worry about the fact that the NHS is one of very few institutions that can ignore the Right to Life provisions in the Human Rights Act and the European Convention on Human Rights. If you turn out to have something expensive to treat, the next form you encounter might be a Death Certificate pinned to your chest in the mortuary.

Remember, the EU has ruled that the right to life is absolute except when it's not.