• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

The Next Steps With Iran : Henry Kissinger

A realist's Approach not a neo-con

The legacy of the hostage crisis, the decades of isolation and the messianic aspect of the Iranian regime represent huge obstacles to such a diplomacy. If Tehran insists on combining the Persian imperial tradition with contemporary Islamic fervor, then a collision with America -- and, indeed, with its negotiating partners of the Six -- is unavoidable. Iran simply cannot be permitted to fulfill a dream of imperial rule in a region of such importance to the rest of the world.

In the end, the United States must be prepared to vindicate its efforts to prevent an Iranian nuclear weapons program. For that reason, America has an obligation to explore every honorable alternative.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/30/AR2006073000546.html

NEO_CON said:
A realist's Approach not a neo-con

If Washington insists on combining the American imperial tradition with contemporary extremist Christian fervor, then a collision with Iran -- and, indeed, with its negotiating partners of the Six -- is unavoidable. America simply cannot be permitted to fulfill a dream of imperial rule in a region of such importance to the rest of the world.
I decided to subtly amend your quote, NEO_CON. It fits the present situation much better, in my opinion.

Quite apart from this incessant Septic bleating having gone on so long that it's very easy to lose sight of the fact that Iran has done nothing wrong or illegal. It's in compliance with all the directives of the IAEA. So what's your beef?

MsG

I decided to subtly amend your quote, NEO_CON. It fits the present situation much better, in my opinion.

Quite apart from this incessant Septic bleating having gone on so long that it's very easy to lose sight of the fact that Iran has done nothing wrong or illegal. It's in compliance with all the directives of the IAEA. So what's your beef?

MsG
They are not in compliance they have been order to stop enriching Uranium which they are doing

Aww poor Henry never got over the Shah
I actually agree with some of what he says The Russian option, Iranian imperialism but I wonder if by 'honourable options' he means bombing a la Laos style.

NEO_CON said:

MsG
They are not in compliance they have been order to stop enriching Uranium which they are doing
So they been ordered(?) to stop enriching Uranium? On whose say-so? Yours, perchance?
I'd appreciate it if you could back that up with a few authorative links, NEO_CON. And I don't mean an op-ed from the "Hicksville Baptist Review".

MsG

PS Just to bring in a note of realism: the Israelis are in defiance of almost 40 UN resolutions and America regularly does the same (quite apart from ignoring its own highest court rulings).

The article is a month old and was discussed when it first appeared. Can't be bothered to find the link.

Now then. Let's see the proof that Iran: a) intends to develop nuclear weopans, and b) plans to employ them offensively before we start talking about kinetic steps. And please, no more satellite pictures of rusting metalwork in the desert. Poor old Colin, never going to be able to forget that one.

Latest Threads