The next Spam weapon system?

Would you really want to be 10 feet in the air when there are guys running around with RPGs? Thought not!

Might be useful for some things though - Heavy handling (as in the film Aliens), civil engineering, demolitions (civvy, not big bangs), that sort of thing

THE JAPAN TIMES said that a robot can be ridden by a human.
The Land Walker robot, said the newspaper, is 3.4 metres high, weighs a ton, can move in all directions at one and a half kilometres an hour, and shoot sponge bullets at your enemies.

But you're going to have to dig into your pocket for a spare 36 million yen if you want to ride the pavements like a crazy.

We have a funny feeling that quite a few authorities won't be wanting this giant robot stomping over the pavements and sidewalks of this world.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23326

36'000'000 japanese Yen = 274'369 Euro
3,4 m high and only 1,5 km/h
"Drop the rpg or I´ll use sponge balls" :lol:

Japan's Sakakibara Machinery Works has unveiled its version of a sit-in walking robot, dubbed Land Walker 2.
The 3.4m, one-tonne robot walks at 1.5km/h. It is operated by four pedals in the cockpit.

A monitor showing the feet area helps the driver watch their step.

Air guns on each side of robot shoot a rubber ball 20-30m. The company sells it for 36 million yen ($43,500).

However owners are advised that these land walkers are vulnerable to hostile Ewoks and Wookies.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,15163650-13762,00.html

Perhaps it's an interesting first step towards a "Heavy Gear" (old PC game) type IFV or carrier.
IIRC the game featured similarly sized (~3m)walking vehicles that had similar mobility and flexibility to a foot-soldier with vastly improved load-carrying capacity that could be used to mount a variety of weapons including mortars and guided rockets.
A bit far-fetched perhaps but a practical way of getting heavy weapons into places where tracks or wheels can't go would be usefull wouldn't it?

Seen the video it dosent have the stomping action .The us dod have some sort of research program into walking platforms but its long term.
i seem to remeber .Would be fun to have that turn up at cophill down but
even if you covered it in chobham and added chainguns I wouldnt take it round iraq unless i was tired of life . :)

Such things won't be practical until they can do everything a dismounted soldier can i.e. crouch behind cover, lean out from cover, drop flat on their faces and hope that anything bad flies right over, etc., etc.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Economics 63
exbluejob The NAAFI Bar 312
Recce19 The NAAFI Bar 14