The Next Revolution...

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
What would spark a Libyan style revolution in the UK? I know we always assume it wouldn't happen, but could it? What form would it take? What would be the end-game, and how would Parliament deal with it? Would the Forces back the Government? What if the Armed Forces were split and some went to the side of the people?

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
It did happen in 1642, just shows how advanced we are in this country, It's only taken the Arabs 4 hundred years to catch up

T

trowel

What would spark a Libyan style revolution in the UK? I know we always assume it wouldn't happen, but could it? What form would it take? What would be the end-game, and how would Parliament deal with it? Would the Forces back the Government? What if the Armed Forces were split and some went to the side of the people?
The last time we had a serious internal problem in the UK Cromwell and his men won. What we have now in Westminster would make the Rounheads spin in their graves.

Just waiting for the word.....preferably after next week though I have a week off.

A deeply unpopular government like the last lot trying to hang on longer than their five year term would about do it.

Can't see the armed forces having much say over national unrest, tho.
Far too small a club for that these days.

The last time we had a serious internal problem in the UK Cromwell and his men won. What we have now in Westminster would make the Rounheads spin in their graves.
Absolutely, what with Xmas, football and voting breaking out all over the place.

With that and not being able to sell Quakers into slavery anymore I expect they are spitting.

We are a well established democracy. Not to say we don't have some glaring issues with our democracy, but in this country we have the means available to not have to resort to violent Revolution- its possible to achieve it through democratic means whereas in many countries it is not.

However, what it requires is the British population getting off their arse and getting involved. Fat ******* chance.

T

trowel

We are a well established democracy. Not to say we don't have some glaring issues with our democracy, but in this country we have the means available to not have to resort to violent Revolution- its possible to achieve it through democratic means whereas in many countries it is not.

However, what it requires is the British population getting off their arse and getting involved. Fat ******* chance.
It will happen, worry not.

Go on then, do tell.
Check your Filofax, next thursday at 10:15am. To be preceeded by gibberish phrases on Radio One to alert revolutionary cells that they have been activated ................ on second thoughts that won't work, they speak gibberish on Radio One all the time.

On a serious note, if you look around the planet it is quite scary how quickly an organised society in the shape of a country can become a lawless mess with only the slightest prodding by opportunists. The UK's problem is that it is an island, with a population that is growing out of proportion to what the country can physically support and it is heavily dependent on imported food and energy - one refugee too many or a cutting of the supply lines and it will become a free for all. Russia controls the gas flows for most of europe now and has shown that it is willing to turn off particular national taps in order to "convince" gubmint's to toe the line.

Scary, hope it does'nt happen. But, I'll bet they've played the scenario out on the Staffies course.

Agreed.

If everyone in the Uk is too lazy, I should be able to have a revolution and win single handed.

Well I'd describe what happened in Ulster at the end of the last century as a revolution of sorts, an unhappy one leading to entrenched sectarianism but still significant. Mainstream politics got practically wiped out and insurgent extremists, the DUP and SF, became the establishment.

It's just you idle, apathetic buggers on the bigger island that won't shift yourselves beyond a little light looting.

Dublin could do with beer hall putsch as well, I doubt anything else will fix the FF&FG corporate state.

When you get right down to it, this is what an election is, more or less. All democracy does is allows a population to boot out an unpopular regime in favour of a better-liked one, and it allows unpopular morons like "Goldie" Brown to get the push without needing to raise an army, have a big fight and hang the bugger from the nearest lamp post; this lets us save on rope, lamp posts and ammo.

As long as we keep Britain more or less democratic, we don't need a revolution.

A deeply unpopular government like the last lot trying to hang on longer than their five year term would about do it.

Can't see the armed forces having much say over national unrest, tho.
Far too small a club for that these days.
If the Armed Forces went to one side or the other en-masse it would be game over. We might not be a big club anymore but it's not like the 1640s when anyone with a scythe or a big hammer could go into battle on level terms.

No-one on civvie street could fight against Typhoon, Chally 2, Apache, armed troops etc etc.

By the very way our democracy has been progressively engineered since the day's of Magna Carta, it would be impossible to carbon copy Lybia.

Mass riots on a much bigger scale of last month and far wider spread would be the worst case Scenario for the U.K, culminating in curfews, army on streets and resignation of P.M + party.

As for the cause, i would say, suppression of the working class while the rich and famous take their dream lifestyles for granted and still want for more.

If the Armed Forces went to one side or the other en-masse it would be game over. We might not be a big club anymore but it's not like the 1640s when anyone with a scythe or a big hammer could go into battle on level terms.

No-one on civvie street could fight against Typhoon, Chally 2, Apache, armed troops etc etc.
Best of luck with that, then. We are talking national uprising here rather than a bit of civil disorder. Just think about the numbers, how are you going to supress 6.5 million revolting Londoners with half a dozen Apaches?

And while you are trying that what about every other city from Plymouth to Newcastle?

Remember the 100,000 strong army will be wherever they are, and 67million rebels will be everywhere else.

You couldn't defend the TA armouries and RAF air bases properly let alone start controlling the country, and don't forget the number of ex soldiers with military skills will far outnumber those who are currently serving.

The best you could hope for is to be ignored.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
msr The Intelligence Cell 14
Forces_Sweetheart Current Affairs, News and Analysis 0
C The Intelligence Cell 2