The next of kin have been informed.....

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Queensman, Nov 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As news of the death of the 99th British soldier killed in Afghanistan this year breaks, what exactly is the significance of the line 'the next of kin have been informed'? It has always puzzled me.

Meanwhile, condolences to the family, friends and comrades of the Coldstream Guardsman who has paid the price.

2. To set at ease the minds of people who have relatives over there and haven't heard from them prehaps?

3. As far as I'm aware it lets the families of people still out there know its not them, without actually releasing details! If you get my drift!!

4. Good point. Hadn't thought of it that way round. Thanks.

5. As I understand it,there is a tacit agreement with the media to ensure the family are informed first,before the news is released,as said above.

6. Rest in peace Coldstreamer ! NULLI SECUNDUS !!! :(

7. As a squaddies brat I always started to panic whenever I heard the phrase "there are reports of an explosion coming in from Northern Ireland" Cos I wasn't sure where the blast was, how close was my dad or 2 uncles. When I hear "the next of kin have been informed" I know its not my loved one and my panic is a bit less but then I feel guilty for being relieved that my loved one is still alive. I know that the beeb got a lot of abuse for not announcing "the next of kin have been informed" as any service families watching the news started to wonder if it was their family member who was the casualty

Now when I hear the phrase I always think about the family who are getting that hellish visit and all that goes with it

8. RIP Lad condolances to family and friends.

9. Last thing you want to hear is "sorry about your son/daughter" from someone else before the military tells you first

10. Exactly what I think. I remember the first time a bloke in my unit was killed. The worst bit about it was knowing that his wife and kids would be at home, going about their day - completely unaware that the visit was on its way.

11. Particularly when the cas NOK is on the patch.

12. Rest In Peace Coldstreamer. Condolences to all the family and friends.