The new USP HK45 Review (Video)

Here is HK's video on the new and improved version of the USP .45 Cal. Pistol.

I own and have carried the first model of this pistol since they came out. I used it as a duty pistol (LE) for regular uniform carry and SWAT work. I also carried it as a concealed weapon in civilian clothes; however, I found it a bit large, for concealed carry. I still like the pistol for it's other points though. I also have the HK light that snaps on the pistol.

Link.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ybRq9Empk

which trigger/safety combo on the hk did you get and or would recomend?

I got the one with all the options, I liked the idea, of being able to go from cocked to cocked and locked (SA) and then back to (DA) after the situation was handled. (The SA trigger action was smooth compared to the DA.)

Normally, I carried the pistol with full magazine and one in the tube, on Double Action, safety off. (Two extra Magazines on the belt)

Many LE agencies, like the DA only versions, as there is less room for mistakes and poor firearms handling, etc. (Soldier Proof or in this case, COP proof. :roll: )

Why do you feel the need to carry a pistol, concealed, when you're walking the streets?

This is an honest question, i've never had a chance to ask an American this question.

Knowing the general 'Brit' attitude on firearms in general and in particular concealed carry by American citizens, I hesitate to answer your question or get involved in another silly exchange, over our cultral differences on this subject.

1.) As a LE Officer, my department required all officers to carry their weapon both on and off duty.

2.) As a retired LE officer I can carry a concealed weapon (pistol/revolver) in any State within the USA. (I choose to carry one, most of the time, except when flying on commercial airlines.) To much of a hassle and danger of having it stolen from luggage.) Also for self Defense. Keep in mind, that a 34 career in LE, one makes many thug enemies, who would like a little 'pay-back.'

3.) If I wasn't a retired LE Officer, I would apply for a Concealed Carry permit in my State (Washington) and carry a pistol.

Why would I want to carry a concealed pistol?

a. Have you read much on crime statistics in the USA? Gangs, Drive-by's, armed robberies, rapes, random shootings in schools, Malls and Fast food places? Most could have been stopped cold, if somebody had been carring a concealed weapon and used it properly.

b. Are you naive, enough to think that the police are always, going to to be 'Johny' on the spot to defend you or stop an deadly assualt with club, knife or gun? In most cases, you'll be dead and they will be happy to write the report on the incident. Case closed.

c.) I carry a concealed pistol, for my personal and familys self defense. I have carried a weapon, both in uniformed and plain clothes assignments over most of my life and feel naked and uncomfortable without one.

e.) Of course the other reason that I carry, is because the laws in this Country allow me to do so, and I am not naive enough to think that the police are always going to be around to save my arrse. :wink:

Does that answer your question? :?:

Trip_Wire said:
Knowing the general 'Brit' attitude on firearms in general and in particular concealed carry by American citizens, I hesitate to answer your question or get involved in another silly exchange, over our cultral differences on this subject.

1.) As a LE Officer, my department required all officers to carry their weapon both on and off duty.

2.) As a retired LE officer I can carry a concealed weapon (pistol/revolver) in any State within the USA. (I choose to carry one, most of the time, except when flying on commercial airlines.) To much of a hassle and danger of having it stolen from luggage.) Also for self Defense. Keep in mind, that a 34 career in LE, one makes many thug enemies, who would like a little 'pay-back.'

3.) If I wasn't a retired LE Officer, I would apply for a Concealed Carry permit in my State (Washington) and carry a pistol.

Why would I want to carry a concealed pistol?

a. Have you read much on crime statistics in the USA? Gangs, Drive-by's, armed robberies, rapes, random shootings in schools, Malls and Fast food places? Most could have been stopped cold, if somebody had been carring a concealed weapon and used it properly.

b. Are you naive, enough to think that the police are always, going to to be 'Johny' on the spot to defend you or stop an deadly assualt with club, knife or gun? In most cases, you'll be dead and they will be happy to write the report on the incident. Case closed.

c.) I carry a concealed pistol, for my personal and familys self defense. I have carried a weapon, both in uniformed and plain clothes assignments over most of my life and feel naked and uncomfortable without one.

e.) Of course the other reason that I carry, is because the laws in this Country allow me to do so, and I am not naive enough to think that the police are always going to be around to save my arrse. :wink:

Does that answer your question? :?:
I may be a bit thick here but whats an LE officer and what was your role?

Also to be honest if l lived in the states with the crime rates you have l would carry a weapon as well..... However l think the police would'nt be to happy if l was cutting around doing my shopping with a Gimpy :twisted:

Tripwire must live in one of those really dangerous places in Yankastan where armed, murderous thugs hang out and kill anyone who disses their Nikes; I think they call them 'Schools' :p

CC_TA

Nice, but I wish you Yanks would learn pronunciation:

Its Koch not coke,
its Volvo not Vulvo and
its Nike not Nikee. :wink:

Trip_Wire, old man,
How exciting for you!
Have you shot a "perp?" yet? I believe that's the expresssion used in your country for what we would call, "chummy".
Do tell!

Henry,

Trip_Wire hasn't asked us how many people we have killed / shot in the line of duty, so why should you ask him?

I feel you are just fishing for an argument! :evil:

CC_TA said:
Tripwire must live in one of those really dangerous places in Yankastan where armed, murderous thugs hang out and kill anyone who disses their Nikes; I think they call them 'Schools' :p

CC_TA
Actually, CC_TA, I live in the Seattle, WA area (West Coast.) This city and the surrounding area's are by far much safer then many other cities in the USA. Still, it only takes one crazy idiot or thug to pull out a gun, knife, etc. to end yours or one of your families life. I think right now, it is #1 city in the USA for visits by tourists.

I have noticed that in the UK, 'gun' crimes and the use of 'guns' in crimes in the UK are on the rise and more of your 'Bobbies' are being armed, etc. In your case, I only see it getting worse and IMHO the time will come very soon now, where all your police will be armed.

Why is it that in many Countries, where very strict firearms laws are in effect the criminals and even crazies seem to come up with 'firearms?' In your case, I hear Eastern Europe, blamed a lot.

I've also noticed where Countries, like Australia have taken on strict firearms rules and regulations, etc., that crimes involving firearms increase, leaving the average citizen helpless and unarmed.

The city of New York, Washington, DC Detroit and Los Angeles have some of the most restrictive firearms laws on the books. They seem to do little to prevent criminals from using firearms and make it easier for them, knowing that the average citizen will not be armed.

The criminal doesn't give a crap about the firearms laws, he or she, will obtains a firearm and will use it, while the average citizen will obey the laws and because he/she does obey the law be at the mercy of the armed criminal. A law prevent firearms, from being available to the criminals?

Surely, one must be naive, to think that a law banning firearms would do that. (Look at the UK.) Look at narcotics (illegal drugs, etc.) There are a ton of laws in the USA and other places banning illegal drugs, etc., yet one can purchase them almost anywhere. (Even in the prison system.) In some cases, the same people involved in smuggling drugs, also do firearms to include full auto assault rifles, etc.

All that said, As I said at the start, I don't really want to get into this discussion, because IMHO it is a waste of bandwidth, because of the differences in our history, culture and laws. :wink:

I am not a supporter of a more relaxed firearms policy in this country, but the Swiss seemed to have armed their citizens to the teeth, and have low gun crime, figure that out? LOL

Flying Felix said:
Henry,

Trip_Wire hasn't asked us how many people we have killed / shot in the line of duty, so why should you ask him?

I feel you are just fishing for an argument! :evil:
I do apologise!
I have to admit to feeling slightly envious that Trip_Wire can blow away the local chavs if they cause a problem; and all I can do is to write a note and post it in the village shop, in the box provided for our local constable to deal with at his leisure!

Sometimes life doesn't seeem fair. :(

Henry_Tombs:

In my 34 years as a Police Officer, yes I have had many 'exciting' times during that career. In that time I was a Rescue SCUBA diver (200 body recoveries and evidence finds.) Motorcycle Sgt., Bomb Disposal Technician, SWAT Officer and Team Leader as well as a Police supervisor at the level of SGT, LT. & Captain.

Did I shoot or kill anybody? No I did not. As I recall, I took part in at least two SWAT operations where the suspect was killed by-our team sniper.

In that career. I fired my pistol at a fleeing felon, suspect twice and missed both times. (Actually I shot high on purpose, which resulted in an 'after-burner' reaction on the part of the suspect,) :roll:

Actually, one doesn't use or display their firearm very often, unless they intend to use it. An exception, might be where a firearm is being used or as a preventive measure on responding to a crime in progress on arrival, where a firearm is being used or in searches of buildings, etc. (Burglary in progress, etc.)

In my military service, I fought as an Infantryman in Korea '51 — '52 and spent a total of over 34 years in Active and reserve units of the Air Force and Army, mostly in American Army Ranger (Korean War era) & Army Special Forces as an 18C. (Engineer Sgt.)

During my time in combat, in Korea, I did shoot at and kill and/or wound people as part of my job as a combat infantryman and soldier. I didn't keep any count nor did I particularly enjoy the job.

BTW: I wouldn't as a retired Police Officer use my pistol, unless it was a life threatening situation. I would not take any routine law enforcement action or stick my nose into crimes in progress, unless they were life threatening situations where a family member, myself or innocent citizen was involved.

Hope that answers your question!

trip_wire said:
In my 34 years as a Police Officer,
and

trip_wire said:
In my military service, I fought as an Infantryman in Korea '51 — '52 and spent a total of over 34 years in Active and reserve units of the Air Force and Army, mostly in American Army Ranger (Korean War era) & Army
Not seeking an argument trip. but have you really spent 68 years in uniform!!!!! Both as a cop and in service?......If so major hats off sir :salut:

northern_warrior said:
trip_wire said:
In my 34 years as a Police Officer,
and

trip_wire said:
In my military service, I fought as an Infantryman in Korea '51 — '52 and spent a total of over 34 years in Active and reserve units of the Air Force and Army, mostly in American Army Ranger (Korean War era) & Army
Not seeking an argument trip. but have you really spent 68 years in uniform!!!!! Both as a cop and in service?......If so major hats off sir :salut:
Actually, I spent 8 and 1/2 years on active duty in the US Army, the rest in the US Air Force Reserve, Air National Guard and US Army Reserve. for over 30 years of service. Of course, there were other active duty time for schools and a few voluntery short tours, while in the SF. I am also retired from the Army reserve as a MSG. So the time was served concurrently.

Most of the larger Police agencies, here in the USA, allow people in our armed forces reserve/National Guard to attend training and will grant leave of absence periods, when more time is required. Schools, Short tours of duty, etc. ( I did some volunteer short tours in South America with an SF ODA.) Of course you are on Army pay and allowences for this time period period.

It would seem, that this thread on a new HK pistol is getting hijacked just a little. :roll:

Thanks for the reply trip. I wasn't questioning your service in any way, shape or form. It would appear i got confused with your post or you did not write it succinctly enough :D

If you had done 68 years in uniform it would mean you were pushing nearly 90 years old mate. Thats what made me question the post.

Sorry for taking your thread off tangent.