The new Speaker?

My Masterplan is that Joanna Lumley can become the Speaker after she has stood against (and obviously ousted) that ginger witch Blears.

The only minor flaw in my otherwise perfect plan is that it is unlikely that the lovely Ms Lumley would ever want to become the MP for Salford (and who can blame her?). Damn. :evil:

Attachments

Plastic Yank said:
agree - Frank Field. very honest debater, not beholden to the labour party and intelligent enough to make a difference.
I'd certainly have no issue with Field - he's perhaps one of a handful of remaining Labour MPs who still remember and honour the public service job spec.

PY said:
Like the idea of Vince Cable, but he is too important and too vocal on other issues to be sent to the chair!! he needs to be on the benches ripping apart this current gov't and keeping the next one accountable.
Fair comment mate - probably be wasted on the commode - and is one of the few MPs (front bench or otherwise) who's actually an economist; so can bat his corner in the debates on how badly the, ahem, 'Iron Chancellor' (prior to becoming PM) fukked-up the economy in the first place.

Odo_de_StAmand said:
Archimedes said:
LancePrivateJones said:
I quite like Richard Shepherd(C) who seems like one of the good old fashioned types and is pretty untainted by any type of sleeze. Fundamentally a decent man who votes according to his conscience and has ignored many a three line whip (in Government and out of it), so a true independent spirit which would be correct for Mr Speaker. If he can keep his emotional personality in check he would be ideal.

Conversely, Frank Field(L) because I like the way he stands up to his own party and the Government if he has a bee in his bonnet. He is neither 'Old' or 'New' Labour and has always been his own man.
Frank also hates both Broon and Harperson and they hate him.
The Tories love him.
He is pretty well qualified in my opinion.

Either of these would be good but I reckon that political expediency will dictate the next Speaker will probably be a Tory.
Gordon Brown would love Field to be Speaker, since this would prevent him from criticising the multiple failings of Brown's welfare policy. While I'm sure he'd be a very good speaker, he probably offers most value to the country by being a back-bencher challenging some of the complacency about the welfare state in a way which Tories can't.

Shepherd would be very good, as would Sir George Young. Young probably should've been Speaker after Boothroyd, but Brown's manoeuvrings and Ted Heath's farcical mishandling of the selection/election debate meant that Martin was chosen. The problem facing the Tories is that the Lib Dems probably deserve a shot at the Speaker's job after an 80-year gap and there are enough Labour MPs who would refuse to vote for a speaker who's a Tory as there are a few who have said or inimtated that Martin's been nobbled by a plot by Tory snobs...(e.g. Austin Mitchell).
Agree 100% about Frank Field, as I am sure he would make an excellent Speaker, but I would hate to lose his ability to comment on all other issues - better he remain the honest, hard-working, intelligent and highly-vocal MP he is.

Although I will vote Tory, Frank Field is an excellent MP, shame on Bliar for getting rid of him when asked to "think the unthinkable"

Odo
He's far too far up himself. I think we need someone a bit more humble.

And it's true he was asked to think the unthinkable. The trouble was that he came up with the undoable.

What exactly is - 'A TORY SNOB'?

Is it the same as an - 'INVERTED LABOUR SNOB'?

What about a 'fence-sitting, hand-wringing, Utopia living' 'LIBERAL SNOB'?

I reckon all that this failed, disgraced and dishonest government has left in it's so-called 'armoury of argument', is a pathetic attempt to ignite a 'class war'.

They really are a bunch of 'no-hopers', led by the unelectable, supported by the indefensible, and encouraged by the 'brain-dead' = 'ashie'.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
This is supposed to be a time of 'Great reorganisation' in the HoC so why don't we do some real out-of-the-box thinking.

The whole mess has been concocted by MPs, exploited by MPs and governed by MPs so why should we have an MP as Speaker? If they want true independance why not appoint someone with no party connections of any sort, is not an MP and 'one of the boys'.

Advertise the job just as any other and the interview panel can be made up of a couple of MPs, senior civil servant and some people from the business world.

As I say, why have just MPs in for the job?

lsquared said:
What exactly is - 'A TORY SNOB'?

Is it the same as an - 'INVERTED LABOUR SNOB'?

What about a 'fence-sitting, hand-wringing, Utopia living' 'LIBERAL SNOB'?

I reckon all that this failed, disgraced and dishonest government has left in it's so-called 'armoury of argument', is a pathetic attempt to ignite a 'class war'.

They really are a bunch of 'no-hopers', led by the unelectable, supported by the indefensible, and encouraged by the 'brain-dead' = 'ashie'.
Brain deadable, surely. Did you run out of "ble"s?

Auld-Yin said:
This is supposed to be a time of 'Great reorganisation' in the HoC so why don't we do some real out-of-the-box thinking.

The whole mess has been concocted by MPs, exploited by MPs and governed by MPs so why should we have an MP as Speaker? If they want true independance why not appoint someone with no party connections of any sort, is not an MP and 'one of the boys'.

Advertise the job just as any other and the interview panel can be made up of a couple of MPs, senior civil servant and some people from the business world.

That is a brilliant idea.

A good high court Judge (They do exist) or a senior silk would be ideal.

How this could be facilitated God only knows but it would truly remove any question of partiality from the Speakers chair.

I propose Mike Mansfield QC who would take no bloody nonsense.

LancePrivateJones said:
Auld-Yin said:

How this could be facilitated God only knows but it would truly remove any question of partiality from the Speakers chair.

Cherie Blair?

ashie said:
LancePrivateJones said:
Auld-Yin said:

Cherie Blair?
No, her father will do.

ashie said:
LancePrivateJones said:
Auld-Yin said:

Cherie Blair?
I was talking about somebody 'Impartial' Ashie not a NuLabour Apparatchik.
I think we have seen enough of that type.

ashie said:
He's far too far up himself. I think we need someone a bit more humble.
"Hullo Kettle, this-is-Pot. Send Colour-Stat? Over."

msr said:
in_the_cheapseats said:
I'd like to know the odds on that happening.
As Speaker, 63-year-old Mr Martin is entitled to an annual pension of around £38,000. When his MP's pension kicks in at 65, the former sheet metal worker will be receiving around £80,000 from taxpayer-funded pension pots worth £1.4million.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...m-pension-shamed-Speaker-quit-34-seconds.html

msr
Errrr, just an update on the MP pension entitelmento.

they can now claim a full pension after 32 years service. = last day pension scheme.

the clever bit is they can claim from the day they leave as an MP.
If thye only do 4years they ase entiteled to 4/32 seconds.
1/32 = £2000.
so 4/32 = £8000 per annum.

Not bad you may say.

HOWEVER THE BITCH IS its NON taxable and they dont have to declare ANY income from this pension. In fact they dont even have to declare this income to the TAX MAN> Its completely invisable.

They dont have to tell the DWP or the local council that they recieve a MP's pension.
They can clain housing benefit, council tax rebate AND UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFIT?????

even the newspoopers cant get it.

30/32 = £120,000 pension. thats waht the speaker gets as a final salary wage = pension.
TAX FREE.

TAX FREE.

TAX FREE>

if the fcukwit is promoted as all **** orrifers are these days to the House of Lords, any earnings he recieves will be taxed at the minimum. His MP pension is invisable to HMRC. And has not to be declared.......

LancePrivateJones said:
Auld-Yin said:

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

To misquote The King

"But if there's one thing that we don't need
Its' another fecking hungry mouth to feed
In the Commmmmmmmmmmmons"

The place is stuffed with legal eagles of all shape and sizes.

Do Labour still have this within their gift (overwhelming majority and a culture of strict obedience to Whips) to put in another Labour placeman, who may be even worse than gorbals Mick?????? They know that they will lose the next election, but what a "dying mans last shot" to put in another thorn in the side of whomever wins!!!!! (If they,d had the bottle they could have kept Gorbals in place until he died and said " to hell with you all"), does anyone think that the Queen would have done anything about it??? does anyone think that all the other money grubbers in the house would have resigned??? Does anyone think that if Gordon declared a state of emergency that any of the Chief constables or the general staff would tell him to "go **** himself". The only thing in our favour at the moment is that Gordon is a coward.

rickshaw-major said:
Post deleted for foaming at the mouth repetition :twisted:
Calm down Major old chap, 'twas only a suggestion.

I agree that there are far too many members of the legal profession on the benches of the HoC, just the one sitting in the Speakers seat will suffice for me.
Then they could get rid of those Clerks that sit in front of the Speaker doing naff all whilst being paid a fortune.

Somebody truly 'Independent' would be good though.

rickshaw-major said:
The place is stuffed with legal eagles of all shape and sizes.
Most of whom are obviously utterly incompetent because if they had any knowledge of the law, they’d ensure that the laws they passed were water-tight with no wriggle-room for the European Court or any other to deem their own policies illegal! :pissedoff: :roll:

My favoured candidates for Speaker are Sir Alan Beith or Sir George Young, though as has been pointed out by a few commentators, Ann Widdecombe will be standing down as an MP at the next election, so she could be a good caretaker Speaker till the next Parliament is formed.

oldgoat said:
msr said:
in_the_cheapseats said:
I'd like to know the odds on that happening.
As Speaker, 63-year-old Mr Martin is entitled to an annual pension of around £38,000. When his MP's pension kicks in at 65, the former sheet metal worker will be receiving around £80,000 from taxpayer-funded pension pots worth £1.4million.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...m-pension-shamed-Speaker-quit-34-seconds.html

msr
Errrr, just an update on the MP pension entitelmento.

they can now claim a full pension after 32 years service. = last day pension scheme.

the clever bit is they can claim from the day they leave as an MP.
If thye only do 4years they ase entiteled to 4/32 seconds.
1/32 = £2000.
so 4/32 = £8000 per annum.

Not bad you may say.

HOWEVER THE BITCH IS its NON taxable and they dont have to declare ANY income from this pension. In fact they dont even have to declare this income to the TAX MAN> Its completely invisable.

They dont have to tell the DWP or the local council that they recieve a MP's pension.
They can clain housing benefit, council tax rebate AND UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFIT?????

even the newspoopers cant get it.

30/32 = £120,000 pension. thats waht the speaker gets as a final salary wage = pension.
TAX FREE.

TAX FREE.

TAX FREE>

if the fcukwit is promoted as all * orrifers are these days to the House of Lords, any earnings he recieves will be taxed at the minimum. His MP pension is invisable to HMRC. And has not to be declared.......
Is this really true????

Even the Queen pays tax these days.......

Odo

Ethel_the_Aardvark said:
My Masterplan is that Joanna Lumley can become the Speaker after she has stood against (and obviously ousted) that ginger witch Blears.
I think that Blears has less in common with the mini Krankee than she does with Count Dracula!

DozyBint said:
Ethel_the_Aardvark said:
I think that Blears has less in common with the mini Krankee than she does with Count Dracula!

Hmmmmm you may have a point. Although obviously Dracula has far more charm and personality.