The new Speaker?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by mercurydancer, May 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

Although I would have preferred Speaker Martin to have gone immediately he is going to take the long walk.

Like the press today, I'm interested in the next imcumbent.

My preference is really quite clear. Alan Beith. He has enough parliament time in to know what are the real matters and commands respect over all the parties. As an MP he has distinguished himself and particualrly important in a Speaker, he isnt afraid to challenge matters. His manner is non-confrontational too.
  2. John Stonehouse.
  3. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

I,d like to start a Book, I,ll put £100 in to H4Hols if jack straw gets in
  4. Well,

He is touch with the common man - even his son is alleged to be a druggy.
  5. msr

msr LE

To a peerage and £80,000 pension.

I think I am going to be sick.

6. Shurely you mean Jeffrey Archer as he would fit in well with the other "honourable" members? Anyway from what I remember Mr Stonehouse went missing whilt going for a swim in Miami.
  7. Stonehouse did go missing, but was found, extradited and detained for some time at the pleasure of HMQ...
  8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I don't want someone who is an ex "common man".
    I want someone who has, since his balls dropped, shown exceptional ability. Ability that has been tested and proven.
  9. According to tonight's (19 May) Newsnight, Mr Martin may remain in the Commons as an Independent until the general election. He can then let his son take up the canditature for his Glasgow seat. So where is this clean up of the "Spanish practices" that were supposed to be sorted out??? Anyway as he was elected as Mr Speaker and therefore was elected unopposed in the last general election and he then resigns, he should quit the House.
    There was outcry after the banks' debacle that the bosses were rewarded for failure - so why should Mr Martin be rewarded by a peerage?
  10. Shurely that was Reginald Iolanthe Perrin?
  11. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I'd like to know the odds on that happening. I know it has been traditional but, and its a big but, he is the first Speaker to get "removed" from office since 1695. I suppose it can be argued that he has resigned (as others have before him) and therefore left post under his own steam but we all know the circumstances.

If there is to be a peerage, I would suggest that the only time Brown would dare to do it would be on his way out after the loss of the next election.

Can you imagine the fallout otherwise?
  12. msr

msr LE

13. the Rt Hon Sir Bobby Spour :wink:
  14. Stonehouse was captured in Australia. The Private Eye front page had him stepping off the plane at Thiefrow with the caption, 'Which way to the beach'?
  15. I quite like Richard Shepherd(C) who seems like one of the good old fashioned types and is pretty untainted by any type of sleeze. Fundamentally a decent man who votes according to his conscience and has ignored many a three line whip (in Government and out of it), so a true independent spirit which would be correct for Mr Speaker. If he can keep his emotional personality in check he would be ideal.

Conversely, Frank Field(L) because I like the way he stands up to his own party and the Government if he has a bee in his bonnet. He is neither 'Old' or 'New' Labour and has always been his own man.
    Frank also hates both Broon and Harperson and they hate him.
    The Tories love him.
    He is pretty well qualified in my opinion.

Either of these would be good but I reckon that political expediency will dictate the next Speaker will probably be a Tory.