The New Speaker..... god help us all

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Queensman, Jun 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Another unholy and undignifed scramble to get various greedy noses in this particular cushy trough is about to get under way:

Ding ding, Round One - in the Red Corner, the unspeakable Mrs Fcuking Beckett, Caravaner extrordinaire, the worst Home Secretary in memory and the complete twot responsible for the introduction of the Single Farm Payment scheme for farmers.
  2. They need someone to sort out problems, not add to them.

Mrs Beckett will want to line to oblivion, thats down the hall.
  3. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Christ almighty!

Is it obligatory for the speaker to be a superannuated mediocrity?
  4. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

Where is Betty Boothroyd when we need her?
  5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The idea that a former minister of the current government thinks that it is appropriate for her to put herself forward as a potential speaker just shows how unsuitable she is.
  6. I thought they were all destined to become Euro Commissioners.
  7. Just another excuse to get her snout in the trough before they all get kicked out next May or if they're lucky kicked upstairs to the Lords
  8. I'll be the new speaker.

My opening gambit would start with "Right, you bunch of cunts, listen in............."
  9. Dingerr,
    Go no further - You've got the job!
  10. Unbelievable! Well it would have been until recently! And, we are supposed to accept that she will “clean-up” the system !!

Same comment as above . . . we are supposed to believe that he will “clean-up” the system !!

I don’t think it is obligatory, and the article does not mention it, but I thought successive Speakers had to be provided alternately by/from the two main parties ?!

Probably the best person for the job.
  11. Alas in the House of Lords.

Beckett is obviously a Brownist nomination in the hope of tying up the post for the next Parliament when the Stalinists are sat on the front benchs - obviously a nomination sorted out in the margins of the PLP meeting that offered its backing to Brown the other day (that or have their legs broken by Lord Mandy) :x
  12. Look, they simply have to choose someone, anyone and quick. Why?

Because :puker: Ann Widdecombe :pukel: has offered to do it on an interim basis.
  13. Arent the gargoyles supposed to be built into the upper parts of the building, not sat in the fkn speakers chair?

She will go down not only as possibly the worst speaker, but certainly the most ugly to occupy the position. Why cant Caroline Flint do the job if it has to come from the Labour side.
  14. RCT (V)

....that was the way before this lot of snot-gobblers came in and imposed that Glasgwegian cnut on us....totally against convention
  15. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

"I don’t think it is obligatory, and the article does not mention it, but I thought successive Speakers had to be provided alternately by/from the two main parties ?!"

It used to be the practice that an opposition MP was elected to the post of Speaker. Betty was a Labour MP as was her predecessor under Maggie.

I thought it was scandalous when ZaNU Labour stuffed a very partisan member of their party into the chair, although I have heard it said that the opposition parties did not want to lose an MP due to the governments overwhelming majority