The 'new' RA Central Mess

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by LAIT, Jan 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Edited.

2. msr

msr LE

Fewer rules. Not 'less'.

msr

3. Good to see that the priorities are there!

Seriously I hope the Mess is worth the effort. Aside from the accommodation (which needed doing) what else has been done? Was it complete gutting across the entire mess or a touch if paint here and a new lampshade there?

Also has all of the SLA been done on camp?

GBTD

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE
    Twitter: @goatbagthedruid

"When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table"

4. New roof (old was riddled with asbestos). New plumbing (old was riddled with lead and never worked). New carpets, fixtures and fittings. New changing facilites for provision of livers out PT...refurbished everywhere else and a reshuffle of room names (to reflect history and famous gunners).

BUT

£7m? I'd have thought not, but then I do get shocked when I fill up a car, so refurbing a 100+ room "house" including asbestos and other hazmat removal could hit that easy...

5. Note from Regt Col on refurb'ed Mess is humorous, pragmatic and moving with the times.

Public rooms look good; Snaffles Room will be bar-like. Am sure the accommodation will be top notch.

GBTD

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE
    Twitter: @goatbagthedruid

"When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table"

6. Goat Bag - it's the Charlie Payne Room (aka Snaffles).

Coffee machine will prove to be a hit.

7. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

...however the presumption that I would wear jeans to a dinner party in Fulham was bit much!

8. Quite right crusty, who would dare suggest such a thing? You're more of a burberry shell suit and back to front baseball cap kind of man. To think you would be seen dead in jeans, the cheek...

S_E