The new Land Rover Defender is go!

Maybe we will now see a flood of used "old" Defenders on the market at proper second-hand prices?
Oh yes, 1 dealer in Sussex had pre reg delivery miles only 90 Hard Top at £40k & 90 HT County at £45k until recently. Overfinch & Kahn group and others at £50k plus and these with up to £10k on clock, JLR stock non-existence now.

Want to order a 90 with JLR but the lead time is not known yet.
On a long waiting list but could be 2021 before I see it.
According to the mrs' cousin who works for them (runs the design team for brakes and hydraulics for the JLR range of vehicles), the 90 is 3 months behind the 110. I went into a dealership today and 110's wont be in until Feb and they are not expecting the 90 until a year later.

There is a rag top option. Allegedly....

According to the mrs' cousin - the 90 is the cool car but people will buy the 110 as its more versatile (you can fit things in it).

The Dealership said they had a play with the configuration tool which is now available to joe public on the land rover web site, and they quickly knocked up options taking a 110 to £85k. Leather sears are a £3k option!!!! The lad said price is not for the faint hearted....

Deposit of £5k on order required as they are worried people will not want them when they arrive - they had 40 orders today. People ordering from the video having obviously not seen or driven one in the flesh.

I did post some bits in the Land Rover horror stories on it, but the above pretty much summarises the intel I've got yesterday and today.

Yes, local dealer has no idea really, have a contact at JLR Special Vehicles who in the past has helped.
But the vehicle is so new & 90 not even out so will have to wait probably to 2021 when more available

I only want a basic 90 to go back to the old days, if I wanted all the off road gizmos I would go RR Sport 2nd hand.

Buy a write off defender and make your own. For a third of the price of a new one you could keep with the modular design of the original with all the benefits of new bits and untouched by the inbred monkeys in Solihull.
When it gets a bit tired treat it like Triggers broom.

Buy a write off defender and make your own. For a third of the price of a new one you could keep with the modular design of the original with all the benefits of new bits and untouched by the inbred monkeys in Solihull.
When it gets a bit tired treat it like Triggers broom.
All Defenders over 3 years old are like Triggers broom.

TamH70

MIA

WALT

War Hero
Meh. It's a discovery.

I can afford to be smug. I've got a 110. Note- "110." It never had that gay "defender" name applied to it. It's a Land Rover and that's all. It cheers me up when people ask me if it's a defender and I say, "no."
Ok, I probably need to rebuild it in the next few years, but, that's not a huge problem, a new chassis will set me back about 2 grand. Yep, that's right, a new chassis is a spare part. I can't see this being an option with the new Chelsea tractor.

MrMemory

War Hero
The number of Range Rovers in my neck of the Connecticut woods is astounding, mainly driven around by the horsey set, Wall Street types, a few old money Ivy League alumni and aspirants who watched Downton Abbey... being one of the few Brits in the area I use a 5.7L Toyota Sequoia Limited to haul my dogs around... same engine as the Land Cruiser, almost its equal in off road capabilities, much roomier... and more reliable than any LR... though without the social cachet !
Still... the new Defender looks interesting.
IMG_3771.JPG

Last edited:
What about this one? Seems to have decent reviews..

Nah - double cab = restricted load area.

The number of Range Rovers in my neck of the Connecticut woods is astounding, mainly driven around by the horsey set, Wall Street types, a few old money Ivy League alumni and aspirants who watched Downton Abbey... being one of the few Brits in the area I use a 5.7L Toyota Sequoia Limited to haul my dogs around... same engine as the Land Cruiser, almost its equal in off road capabilities, much roomier... and more reliable than any LR... though without the social cachet !
Still... the new Defender looks interesting.View attachment 416485
Wise choice We have loads of Land Cruisers, Prados and Hiluxes in Aus all very reliable

Because they needed to comply with NCAP (and similar) safety testing. Unfortunately AIUI, the existing Defender front end is very, very good at killing those test dummies (and it's not too great on the inside, either). And they can't expect the "we don't need a EuroNCAP safety test, because grandfather rights" to keep going forever...
When I was looking to replace my Disco 1 with a Defender I was sat in the works one one day and looked at the comprehensive safety features as I had a new baby.
I reached the conclusion that sheer mass and the seat belt could be improved slightly and stupidly didn't get the Defender.
Right now I'd like to get a rolling chassis for that all important VIN number and build myself a 'new' one as a daddy daughter project.
Somehow I doubt this thing will be able to offer that ability in the future - if indeed it has one?

Still... the new Defender looks interesting.View attachment 416485
Probably one of the last few remaining "body on frame" type SUVs.

Blogg

LE
They are crapping on about how "stiff" the body is. Hmm.

It's a monocoque like everything else. With reinforced suspension and as a "design element" a cast magnesium alloy strut.

What makes me a bit suspicious is that all the reviews I see so far are walk and talks around a static vehicle with cut aways to pretty stock footage.

Closest they get to driving is being driven around a test track by a JLR driver.

Which is odd, because with a launch of this magnitude you usually get to see hands on reviews.

When somebody then starts burbling about complex infotainment systems, having 85 ECU's, highly adaptive air suspension systems, etc etc etc I hear this voice whispering:

"You really don't want to pay heavily to be part of the Beta development programme for an urban wet dream, do you?"

Latest Threads