The new Land Rover Defender is go!

Ive owned several of each brand , Jeep are not a tough 4x4 in their standard form , I guess thats why theres such a huge after sales market for upgrades , 70 Series Land Cruisers are owned by many Aussie farmers and construction workers who are capable of ******* up machinery nearly as good as Squaddies but the rarely they manage it with LC`s .
Can’t remember the manufacturer but there is one who turns Toyota LC into a very nice looking SF vehicle.

30 years ago you could use Land Rover spares as currency in North Africa/Sahara. Nowadays the locals all cut around in Toyota pick ups and laugh at Land Rovers.

TamH70

MIA
The comments on that video are brutal:

"So, for the first few seconds, he seems to be paying attention to heritage and considering Maurice Wilks' original Land Rover concept...then he says he's going to stop thinking about history as the idea of a new Defender is so exciting. Interestingly enough, that process is also how the new Defender was designed... "

"More tech, more problems, air suspension for the Aussie Outback, are you serious?"

"Well I must say that Land Rover has made their first Mom's Soccer / Rugby Van... What Hell where the LR designers thinking? Seriously.. "

I can't say I disagree. The new vehicle may be many things but it ain't a Landy. And there is no way in hell that MoDUK is going to buy thasands of 'em for green fleet use. I guess there's one bright spot though - as well as the classic Landy way of teaching their owners to be mechanics, this new thing will also teach them how to be computer engineers to cope with the inevitable system breakdowns.

Can’t remember the manufacturer but there is one who turns Toyota LC into a very nice looking SF vehicle.

30 years ago you could use Land Rover spares as currency in North Africa/Sahara. Nowadays the locals all cut around in Toyota pick ups and laugh at Land Rovers.
This one

I don't care what they call it, it's not a Defender. Maybe they should have focused all their attention in this new faux thing, binned the discovery completely and called the new thing the 'Discoverer'.

What is that plastic looking square on the rear side windows for? I doubt it's a sunblind.
One of the reviewers described it as "a signature design element" :( .

He added that it is removable, and that there is provision to store it/them (one an each side!!), somewhere inside the vehicle ?!

Old-Salt
I don't care what they call it, it's not a Defender. Maybe they should have focused all their attention in this new faux thing, binned the discovery completely and called the new thing the 'Discoverer'.
Discoverer? Maybe they should just rename the entire homogenised range along a single theme...
  • Hairdresser Trim (Discovery Sport)
  • Hairdresser Stylist (Discovery)
  • Hairdresser Tints (Evoque)
  • Hairdresser Highlights (Velar)
  • Hairdresser Skinfade (Range Rover Sport)
  • Hairdresser Blue Rinse (Range Rover)
  • Hairdresser Short Back and Sides (Defender)
No doubt there are other naming themes that reflect the current one look small medium or large line up.

I’m not feeling the love in the comments section on Auto Express.....

“This vehicle is certainly NOT a replacement for the Defender. Prices will start at a "very reasonable £40,000". What planet are these people from? The Land Rover started off as a utility go anywhere vehicle, loved by farmers & armies throughout the world and at a reasonable price. This is just another posh Chelsea Tractor. The only off roading this is likely to see is Sainsbury's car park. Will they be making a pick up version with a canvas tilt? I doubt it. JLR have completely lost the plot, the people who used to buy the Defender won't by & large be buying this, it won't be fit for their purpose. They'll be buying Japanese, which will do everything they want at less than half the price & probably more reliably. JLR are leaving the market the Defender filled & joining the market that they already cater for with the Range Rover, Discovery & Freelander. Completely clueless.”

Last edited:
It is meant to come in 12 variants in the future, would be interested in a 90 Pickup.

I am baffled as to why JLR would be so willing to abandon the iconic Land Rover design to make all their vehicles look like generic SUV's.
Because they needed to comply with NCAP (and similar) safety testing. Unfortunately AIUI, the existing Defender front end is very, very good at killing those test dummies (and it's not too great on the inside, either). And they can't expect the "we don't need a EuroNCAP safety test, because grandfather rights" to keep going forever...

You would have thought that Tata would have gone through the Landrover tech and design bin by now and started building a utility vehicle of their own in India.
My suggestion would be something based on the Discovery 2 chassis and non-air running gear with a modern engine.

Because they needed to comply with NCAP (and similar) safety testing. Unfortunately AIUI, the existing Defender front end is very, very good at killing those test dummies (and it's not too great on the inside, either). And they can't expect the "we don't need a EuroNCAP safety test, because grandfather rights" to keep going forever...
That is true, but you can still keep the look but necessarily the feel with good design, which is why I gave the nod to jeep.

That is true, but you can still keep the look but necessarily the feel with good design, which is why I gave the nod to jeep.
The Jeep comes with 1 star rating in EU NCAP testing. Even a Hyundai get a full 5 star rating.

Want to order a 90 with JLR but the lead time is not known yet.
On a long waiting list but could be 2021 before I see it.

Want to order a 90 with JLR but the lead time is not known yet.
On a long waiting list but could be 2021 before I see it.
If I were you, I wouldn't do it. The first year or two there will be a lot of bugs to iron out. Take it from me, never get the first MY cars, no matter which manufacturer. It's just the nature of industry, despite all the testing.

If I were you, I wouldn't do it. The first year or two there will be a lot of bugs to iron out. Take it from me, never get the first MY cars, no matter which manufacturer. It's just the nature of industry, despite all the testing.
Well if you are a Land Rover Owner you expect problems & know the Mondial Repair number on redial!

Latest Threads