The new Land Rover Defender is go!

Forget Defenders, LR built ROW spec Evoque for Africa which had Euro 3 and 4 emission standards, brand new. Considering how new a vehicle it was, I was taken aback a bit.

Africa, its a bit different......

A fridge builder I know sold a refrigerated Mitsubishi Canter to a Somalian fish consortium.
It dropped a crank bearing so against his better advice they had a fresh engine shipped out to them. Turns out nobody in Somalia can code Mitsubishi injectors, last heard of being towed a thousand miles into Ethiopia to get the injectors sorted

He's just finished building them a 4x4 18 tonne Mercedes fridge lorry with mechanical injection.

Now, something occurs to me. Is it not the case that the so-called Great Repeal Bill means that we simply transpose EU law into UK law, so for the foreseeable future, the applicable standards for motor vehicles will remain the same.
It also occurs to me that it would take a courageous (in the meaning of Sir Humphrey Appleby) Government to reduce safety standards.
UK has already declared that for the foreseeable future all construction and use regs will mirror EU legislation.

If the landie doesn't meet EU regs then how come they could bring this beast out DEFENDER LIVES ON: LAND ROVER LAUNCHES V8 EDITION TO CELEBRATE 70TH ANNIVERSARY | Land Rover Media Newsroom
LR told us that it didn't meet emission targets not safety concerns (although if regarding pedestrians I would get it but wonder about many other vehicles). Safety wise I have been side swiped by a merc that didn't survive (LR 43yo merc2). dropped 3ft down a hole masked by grass and go out and who can forget the LR this;
lr train1.jpg
lr train 2.jpg
Train,pha!
I've seen several of these during development and was actually filmed with one in dazzle cam. LR owners are not the target buyers. LR want away from utility or at least the PR and style advisors see that as the way ahead.
Fairwell JLR. I have a couple of classic models that earn their keep plus a very special RR SV classic which is in the process of a sympathetic restoration.
I look forward to many more restorations

I guess that's called "taking back control."

It actually makes sense, to be sold in the EU they would have to comply with EU regs anyway.
At least in the short to medium term there is no sense in not maintaining that regulatory alignment

Any car we export to the USA has to comply with their regs, its just normal

And killed the Defender, but long before it killed it, it rendered it an evolutionary dead end.

I think most forget now how revolutionary the 90/110 was in the early 1980's
Far ahead of the competition in ability and comfort (coil sprung all round was pretty unusual in a utility), well braked and power steered
Combined with the 2.5NA diesel, LT77 box, LT230 transfer box and impressive axle articulation they really were the benchmark utility 4x4

Start of the real Rot in the European utility market was 2007 when the EU outright banned ‘Roo bars etc, and mandated soft pedestrian and cycle friendly fronts that b3nt if they hit a twig. You can still sell stuff that’s tree proof, but only if it’s sold as not for use on public roads.

It actually makes sense, to be sold in the EU they would have to comply with EU regs anyway.
At least in the short to medium term there is no sense in not maintaining that regulatory alignment

Any car we export to the USA has to comply with their regs, its just normal
And all the EU does is copy the UN global regulations and tweak them.

Krautman

War Hero
I guess that's called "taking back control."
No you didn't guess or think at all. It is called "If you want to sell a car in another country you have to fulfill the regulations of this country." If EU based companies want to sell cars in the US they have to apply US regulations and vice versa.
US regulations made the finest car ever built, the E-Type, to an ugly abomination.

Not a chance
The EU killed the previous Defender and anything like it.
The age of sensible basic utility vehicles is dead in europe.
They could have been sold in the EU if Toyota had chosen to upgrade the engine. They chose not to. Presumably the market isn't there.
Published by: Jim Holder, AUTOCAR magazine, on 10 September 2019

New Land Rover Defender: icon reborn as tough upmarket 4x4.

The new Defender is the most capable off-roader Land Rover has built, but it’s also far more premium in its appeal than the original and priced from £40k

"The Land Rover Defender has been reborn as a mainstream model for the global market, taking heavy design and capability cues from the iconic original, which was withdrawn from sale in 2016, and the 2009-2016 Land Rover Discovery 4.

In balancing the demands of hardcore enthusiasts and the need to give the car more widespread appeal, Land Rover has sought to build a viable business case for future generations of the Defender. By the time the previous model went off sale, fewer than 5000 Defenders a year were delivered to retail buyers, with bulk business purchases taking that to around 15,000 cars. In order to be sustainable, the new model must sell close to five times that figure, according to insiders, joining the Discovery in taking the firm’s newest plant in Nitra, Slovakia up to its 150,000 annual production capacity".

1568153324306.png

1568153277454.png

1568153241939.png

Theres only really one serious 4x4 on the world market however they cost about the same as the flimsy new Defender .

I'll stick with Isuzu - getting a shiny new one next year - crew cab rather than double for extra room in the load area. 2" rise, full skid plates & beefed up suspension, as I've dinged the bottom of this one a time or two when out stalking.

I'll stick with Isuzu - getting a shiny new one next year - crew cab rather than double for extra room in the load area. 2" rise, full skid plates & beefed up suspension, as I've dinged the bottom of this one a time or two when out stalking.
What about this one? Seems to have decent reviews..

Seems to be a rehashed Disco 3 or 4 .......
Won't be buying one ........... but then I can't buy a decent 4x4 from Toyota in the UK now either .
Gents I fear those of us that wan't a vehicle capable of towing 4 tons across a muddy field then up a rock strewn hill before a quick hoover out and take the Mrs in her posh frock to a Ball are a dying breed as far as the main stream car makers are concerned in the UK at least .
Happy to spend any amount on a full refurb on my Toyota Landcruiser 8o because quite simply it is probably the best 4x4 ever made available in the UK .

What about this one? Seems to have decent reviews..

Untill you look under it and see it's running gear is more suited to a car . May be OK as a on road pick up but not country side tough .

. . . in Slovakia ?! ;) .
That's actually the best sign yet, Solihull seems to have recurring problems with QC. Although a lot of that is down to stupid design like the Disco 3 and 4's "body off to do anything" problem.

If I wanted a Defender replacement for work, I'd be tempted to look at a 4x4 Iveco Daily/Merc Sprinter, that sort of thing. Surely more reliable, and cheaper.
Those things look awesome.....but shit me the are expensive

A Jeep Wrangler actually comes with a removable top, doors and windshield. From the factory. Comes in diesel, a 4 cylinder and a Pentastar V6 (which BTW is darn good).
And a driver with tight pants, loose wrist ligaments and a penchant for hi-energy disco

Latest Threads