The new Land Rover Defender is go!

They could have been sold in the EU if Toyota had chosen to upgrade the engine. They chose not to. Presumably the market isn't there.
Not really its the emissions bit, especially for the 1HZ.
Its why most manufacturer have gone for a diesel 2.4l turbo something in compensation for the european market.
strong enough to think you can get anywhere, gutless enough to not let you out

Not a chance
The EU killed the previous Defender and anything like it.
The age of sensible basic utility vehicles is dead in Europe.
They could have been sold in the EU if Toyota had chosen to upgrade the engine. They chose not to. Presumably the market isn't there.
He is a bit of a pratt at the very beginning, but stay with it . . . . ;)

plus . . . .

Published by What Car?, on 05 September 2019.

"Ten off-road 4x4 SUVs. 5 price point battles. 2 days in a quarry. 1 winner. (And lots of jet washes afterwards...) With a new Land Rover Defender just around the corner, we’ve tested the current crop of off-roaders to their limits to pick the best in class".

Last edited:
Not something farmers would use for work I suspect -

It seems counter-intuitive to build a utility vehicle which has limited utility and is too expensive for many people who need a utility vehicle. I get that that market is of less interest to LR now but why limit the size of your market?

That’s another thing I don’t get, we are leaving the EU, why didn’t JLR just keep making the original defender?
Typically a vehicle development cycle lasts about at least 3 to 4...likely more like 5....so no, even if they wanted to, they couldn't anticipate that Brexit would've happened. Plus, JLR wanted to market the vehicle across the world, so all those "pesky" safety and compliance standards come into play. Every vehicle manufactured in the UK still has to follow by the rules if they want to sell a single one outside the UK.

He is a bit of a pratt at the very beginning, but stay with it . . . . ;)

plus . . . .

Published by What Car?, on 05 September 2019.

"Ten off-road 4x4 SUVs. 5 price point battles. 2 days in a quarry. 1 winner. (And lots of jet washes afterwards...) With a new Land Rover Defender just around the corner, we’ve tested the current crop of off-roaders to their limits to pick the best in class".

The new Jimny is just plain cool and if off roading is your thing, really can't go wrong with it for the price.

Typically a vehicle development cycle lasts about at least 3 to 4...likely more like 5....so no, even if they wanted to, they couldn't anticipate that Brexit would've happened. Plus, JLR wanted to market the vehicle across the world, so all those "pesky" safety and compliance standards come into play. Every vehicle manufactured in the UK still has to follow by the rules if they want to sell a single one outside the UK.
Now, your last sentence is ambiguous, because everyone keeps telling me that Landcruiser 70 can’t be sold in the EU for many different reasons other just emissions, and yet Toyota build (or built it) in Portugal for export to South America.
Unless, of course, you meant that “every vehicle manufactured in the UK still has to follow the rules if they want to sell a single one in the EU”.

Now, your last sentence is ambiguous, because everyone keeps telling me that Landcruiser 70 can’t be sold in the EU for many different reasons other just emissions, and yet Toyota build (or built it) in Portugal for export to South America.
Unless, of course, you meant that “every vehicle manufactured in the UK still has to follow the rules if they want to sell a single one in the EU”.
The ones built in Portugal were almost entirely purely for export to Africa and a few other nations. It was also very low production volume. The ones built there were never sold new in the EU.

You are correct, it depends on the country its destined for.
Land Rover built TDi defenders long after they were sold in the UK

ROW (rest of world) spec which could not be sold in the EU.

Forget Defenders, LR built ROW spec Evoque for Africa which had Euro 3 and 4 emission standards, brand new. Considering how new a vehicle it was, I was taken aback a bit.

You are correct, it depends on the country its destined for.
Land Rover built TDi defenders long after they were sold in the UK

ROW (rest of world) spec which could not be sold in the EU.
Now, something occurs to me. Is it not the case that the so-called Great Repeal Bill means that we simply transpose EU law into UK law, so for the foreseeable future, the applicable standards for motor vehicles will remain the same.
It also occurs to me that it would take a courageous (in the meaning of Sir Humphrey Appleby) Government to reduce safety standards.

With all those electronics, wonder how many times it will break down.

But JLR has officially moved out of the lower end game anyways, so shouldn't matter..

Guess the new one may not adapted to these roles anymore...

The new ones are for hofficers only.

Not something farmers would use for work I suspect -

I can see some farmers using this model. The Gentlemen farmers using this to see that the surfs are working in the fields. I encountered a Gentleman Farmer in his Range Rover with the Financial Times spread out on the passenger seat. I guess he was checking to see if his annual CAP subsidies were going to make six figures that year.

Seriously though, I wish this vehicle well. We need to boost our automotive output, and hopefully this will knock out the competition across the board.

Some good news for once.

Last edited:
I can see some farmers using this model. The Gentlemen farmers using this to see that the surfs are working in the fields. I encountered a Gentleman Farmer in his Range Rover with the Financial Times spread out on the passenger seat. I guess he was checking if his annual CAP subsidies were going to make six figures that year.

Seriously though, I wish this vehicle well. We need to boost our automotive output, and hopefully this will knock out the competition across the board.

Some good news for once.
How much British content is in it?

Latest Threads