The new Land Rover Defender is go!

just take a regular series 3 and put a more fuel efficient engine in it.... air conditioning? just drop the windows and drive faster.

Too right - Its pointless why not just buy a Hi Lux - Its not as if theres an almost** direct competitor at similar pricing in Toyotas line up

Oh wait so there is
The Land Cruiser Commercial | New Cars | Toyota UK (Which appeared on the market following the Defenders demise almost as though Toyota sought to fill a niche)

Looked at this myself a while back as in case i decide the 300TDI is too hard to drive - think now id want to play it off against the Defender

So other than its British built and doesnt have a Toyota badge so is obviously absolute shit - Why exactly are Toyota rolling on the floor in hysterics.
Can you see a genuine problem or are you just on your brit = shit hobby horse again

**The shitty Defender being pointless crap offers higher towing weights and greater payload.
it does nothing established players already do.
the only thing ‘Land Rover’ about it is the badge.

seen in its future environment

C97C821D-B6C3-4032-A4FC-2B90E6607E69.jpeg

Last edited:
Too right - Its pointless why not just buy a Hi Lux - Its not as if theres an almost** direct competitor at similar pricing in Toyotas line up

Oh wait so there is
The Land Cruiser Commercial | New Cars | Toyota UK (Which appeared on the market following the Defenders demise almost as though Toyota sought to fill a niche)

Looked at this myself a while back as in case i decide the 300TDI is too hard to drive - think now id want to play it off against the Defender

So other than its British built and doesnt have a Toyota badge so is obviously absolute shit - Why exactly are Toyota rolling on the floor in hysterics.
Can you see a genuine problem or are you just on your brit = shit hobby horse again

**The shitty Defender being pointless crap offers higher towing weights and greater payload.
That Toyota is a modified Landcruiser Prado. Basically a thirty year old design that is slow, bouncy, not particularly reliable and drinks fuel. The entire Japanese 4x4 production (not twincabs) has been rendered obsolete by the Defender and they don’t really know how to respond.

None of them have a new car in development and none of them have a vehicle that offers 21st Century safety standards. The Australian mining industry have been looking for vehicles that offer better safety than their Toyotas.

I think JLR have a surefire hit on their hands. They’ll fly off the shelf in countries where people actually use their 4x4s.

Mine is ordered. It’s replacing a Prado that I’ve run for approaching 300000km and that goes off road nearly every week. I can guarantee you mine won’t be seen in a city!

it does nothing established players already do.
the only thing ‘Land Rover’ about it is the badge.

Ah right my mistake its shit because its closely matched to its competitors - silly me for thinking thats called competative

View attachment 486278
Because no other 4x4 ever finds itself purchased as a fashion statement - let me guess thats because they are popular - this is because its shit

That Toyota is a modified Landcruiser Prado. Basically a thirty year old design that is slow, bouncy, not particularly reliable and drinks fuel. The entire Japanese 4x4 production (not twincabs) has been rendered obsolete by the Defender and they don’t really know how to respond.

None of them have a new car in development and none of them have a vehicle that offers 21st Century safety standards. The Australian mining industry have been looking for vehicles that offer better safety than their Toyotas.

I think JLR have a surefire hit on their hands. They’ll fly off the shelf in countries where people actually use their 4x4s.

Mine is ordered. It’s replacing a Prado that I’ve run for approaching 300000km and that goes off road nearly every week. I can guarantee you mine won’t be seen in a city!
Its shit be told - Photex has already pronounced it a hairdresser mobile and thus crap it will be (until he changes his user name)

The new Defender comes with little cameras in the mirrors so you can watch the front wheels and not kerb them… says it all.
I don’t think you spend much time driving off road do you?

Cameras are a common after market fit on off-roaders; makes placing the wheels on an obstacle much easier. If it saves me ripping a sidewall out on a boulder run, it could save my life.

The new Defender comes with little cameras in the mirrors so you can watch the front wheels and not kerb them… says it all.
That gets you a dumb

The fact you have no idea how useful that can be says a lot about your contributions to the thread.

Im no off road driving god - theres people on here who im sure will laugh at how tame my driving is but do come visit me because within a half mile of my house theres a track with a drop one side and trees the other,

To negotiate this you take the steep climb and look left to memorise the camber and the hollow - you now turn left - the bonnet is now your entire view you need to keep far enough to the right so that the overhanging branches scrape the roof not block it - but far enough left that you dont roll down the drop

Youve now turned 90 degrees theres a slight hollow an increase of camber and the start of the right turn - the bonnet lower slightly so you can see a few tree tops so you can align your self you now take the right and swing left

Every bit of that is done blind - every bit of it is down to you knowing where your wheels are and every bit is your judgement before going in of where you need power where you need to turn and where you think the edge is.

But above all you need to be right - Its great fun but a camera so that you can see exactly where your wheels are, I can see how that could be a great aid to safety - even if it does remove some of the pucker factor -

Ill be kind I will go through 1st then you can

As an aside We can get a UMM round although as you finish if you turn wrong you are committed to going down hill where theres a sharp drop onto the lower track he scrapes hiss belly - im not sure a 110 would get round the lower bend

A million warlords steely men across the 3rd world won't be joining you.

The new Defender is vastly over specified for what it isn't. You want be fixing it as the side of a wadi any time soon.

Ah right my mistake its shit because its closely matched to its competitors - silly me for thinking thats called competative

Because no other 4x4 ever finds itself purchased as a fashion statement - let me guess thats because they are popular - this is because its shit
Oh for christ's sake - is Meerkatz now an expert on automotive design as well?

I don’t think you spend much time driving off road do you?

Cameras are a common after market fit on off-roaders; makes placing the wheels on an obstacle much easier. If it saves me ripping a sidewall out on a boulder run, it could save my life.

Nothing to do with the thing being properly, over 2m, wide?

Driving off road? I certainly do, but I find sticking my head out the window gives me all the view I need when stuff gets tight.

Driving off road? I certainly do, but I find sticking my head out the window gives me all the view I need when stuff gets tight.
How long is your neck to get it outside the passenger window?

Blogg

LE
Not in my world ....wouldn't even take it into a field and expect it to come out again
That's a soft roader but shows how Toyota UK have lost the plot when they bring that in and not the proper Landcruiser in any form .....
That's not what it is for. Article is crap because it suggests it sits "between" RAV4 and Land Cruiser, when it is actually a crossover SUV only between the two in terms of size. What actually sits between the RAV4 and the Land Cruiser is the 4Runner, which is built off the HiLux chassis & drivetrain

The Highlanders native soil is as a three row SUV for school runs, Waitrose car park and similar non challenging stuff which the new "Defender" will all too often get used for.

I

That's not what it is for. Article is crap because it suggests it sits "between" RAV4 and Land Cruiser, when it is actually a crossover SUV only between the two in terms of size. What actually sits between the RAV4 and the Land Cruiser is the 4Runner, which is built off the HiLux chassis & drivetrain

The Highlanders native soil is as a three row SUV for school runs, Waitrose car park and similar non challenging stuff which the new "Defender" will all too often get used for.

I
Agree ,
Toyota UK have no idea what" off road" is....... or even worse are following a PC route of big 4x4 = Bad .

Oh for christ's sake - is Meerkatz now an expert on automotive design as well?
Silence, Heretic! He is an Oracle and Fount of All Knowledge! Doubt him not, at the PERIL of your Immortal SOUL!

He need only borrow the keys of a Landrover ONCE, and in his Greatness will be EXPERT!

Feel free but be aware - In the UMM your head butting the hill face and trees
In the Defender your now leaning out over the down hill slope - theres also a tree or 2 - you probably could watch the right wheel but if the left bites the slope or skips on a root if it goes thats going to be unhealthy.

That gets you a dumb

The fact you have no idea how useful that can be says a lot about your contributions to the thread.

Im no off road driving god - theres people on here who im sure will laugh at how tame my driving is but do come visit me because within a half mile of my house theres a track with a drop one side and trees the other,

To negotiate this you take the steep climb and look left to memorise the camber and the hollow - you now turn left - the bonnet is now your entire view you need to keep far enough to the right so that the overhanging branches scrape the roof not block it - but far enough left that you dont roll down the drop

Youve now turned 90 degrees theres a slight hollow an increase of camber and the start of the right turn - the bonnet lower slightly so you can see a few tree tops so you can align your self you now take the right and swing left

Every bit of that is done blind - every bit of it is down to you knowing where your wheels are and every bit is your judgement before going in of where you need power where you need to turn and where you think the edge is.

But above all you need to be right - Its great fun but a camera so that you can see exactly where your wheels are, I can see how that could be a great aid to safety - even if it does remove some of the pucker factor -

Ill be kind I will go through 1st then you can

As an aside We can get a UMM round although as you finish if you turn wrong you are committed to going down hill where theres a sharp drop onto the lower track he scrapes hiss belly - im not sure a 110 would get round the lower bend
[DRIFT]

Tidy-up that a little bit; a few illustrative colour photos; plus a competent - if modest – web page; and you have yourself there . . . a pretty attractive "alternative-income-stream", nice-little-side-earner, of an “Off-Road Experience” business there!!

You could go for it full-on, and include a purpose built, dedicated wash/toilet/shower block, and invite folk to “bring your own tent” .

Do remember to organise a proper “Insurance waiver form”, for them to sign.

[/DRIFT]

Ive been on tracks on Wales where head out of window to spot wheel position = overhanging rock in kisser
There’s a boulder run in Wollemi National Park which takes about three hours to get through. Done at walking pace with a guide out front. In places there’s about a centimetre clearance on the wheels of a Prado; clip a rock and you’re likely changing a tyre. About 100km from the nearest road.