The new Land Rover Defender is go!

What JLR has done with the Defender seems barking.

Evoque, Freelander etc - Silly little road cars driven on the school run - crowded market, but fine, some people will buy those.

New Discovery - Gone from farmers car to Chelsea tractor - annoying, and self limited to people with serious cash to burn.

New Defender - Gone from working car to Chelsea tractor - Why?! The Disco already had this covered. LR now don't have a proper working car, unless your name is Tarquin, and by working, you mean driving 50m down a potholed road to pick some pre-gutted pheasants up off your man.
Disagree. The Discovery has gone where the market is. Beneath it they’ve put a working car, the Defender. Lots of Discoveries are used as working cars. Ours has, on occasion, gone 500km without hitting a road. And that’s before we consider snow belt markets.

If you start from the position that a twincab is not a car, then working car market is small. Most of the players still in I are selling designs that are basically 30 plus years old. They aren’t replacing them because they can’t see a business case to do so. There will not be another Pajero / Shogun and Toyota have no idea how to replace the Landcruiser or Prado.

JLR have jumped two, maybe three generations with the new Defender. Some of the biggest buyers of working 4x4 cars in the world are seriously looking at it as a potential replacement for their Toyota fleets because it is in a different league in terms of emissions and safety. I think we’ll see all of Australia’s mining companies buying Defenders to replace their Prados.

TamH70

MIA
I’m not in the queue. They are a quite horrible drive, both on and off the road. Slow, uncomfortable and no way would you want to crash one.

I’m also pretty sure that any current Landrover product would wipe its arrse off-road. Including the Evoque.
Ooh dunno. I had a drive in one in Oz and quite enjoyed it. Wasn't mine so didn't trash it. Yes it was slow with a normally aspirated diesel but didn't seem uncomfortable. The steering was quite manual, but no more than some wretched landys I've driven for HMG. It was slow and simple, but that's 1960s for you. It certainly got up some very interesting trails that I was quite happy to let the owner take care of!

Yarra

Old-Salt
Disagree. The Discovery has gone where the market is. Beneath it they’ve put a working car, the Defender. Lots of Discoveries are used as working cars. Ours has, on occasion, gone 500km without hitting a road. And that’s before we consider snow belt markets.

If you start from the position that a twincab is not a car, then working car market is small. Most of the players still in I are selling designs that are basically 30 plus years old. They aren’t replacing them because they can’t see a business case to do so. There will not be another Pajero / Shogun and Toyota have no idea how to replace the Landcruiser or Prado.

JLR have jumped two, maybe three generations with the new Defender. Some of the biggest buyers of working 4x4 cars in the world are seriously looking at it as a potential replacement for their Toyota fleets because it is in a different league in terms of emissions and safety. I think we’ll see all of Australia’s mining companies buying Defenders to replace their Prados.
Interestingly, every time I go back to PRV, I notice ever more JLR products on the road. There was a period about 20 years ago, when the only Pom cars still on the roads in Vic were the odd Rover.

If, as you say, the new Defender can finally usurp the ubiquitous Vic paddock Landcruiser, then the tables will have finally been turned!

Good luck to JLR. ..and I say that as a proud owner of a 40 yo S3; great for 'days out', but ferk all use day to day out in the real world. I still think the Grenadier could be an interesting 'disruptor' tho'.

Last edited:

RE-DSO

Old-Salt
Interestingly, every time I go back to PPV, I notice ever more JLR products on the road. There was a period about 20 years ago, when the only Pom cars still on the roads in Vic were the odd Rover.

If, as you say, the new Defender can finally usurp the ubiquitous Vic paddock Landcruiser, then the tables will have finally been turned!

Good luck to JLR. ..and I say that as a proud owner of a 40 yo S3; great for 'days out', but ferk all use day to day out in the real world. I still think the Grenadier could be an interesting 'disruptor' tho'.
I think the Genadier is trying to hard to be like the old Defender. I do know that it is being built with a nice winch in mind. And it's not WARN. But a UK designed and built winch. And I don't think the winch costs will be the same as the new Defender, If you want it fitted from the factory, that'll be £5K please. £3K for the winch and £2K for the mounting system

Yarra

Old-Salt
I think the Genadier is trying (too hard) to be like the old Defender. I do know that it is being built with a nice winch in mind. And it's not WARN. But a UK designed and built winch. And I don't think the winch costs will be the same as the new Defender, If you want it fitted from the factory, that'll be £5K please. £3K for the winch and £2K for the mounting system
I think that is entirely the point. It absolutely aspires to be THE 21C Defender; sans reliability, safety, emissions, profitability, ergonomic and reputational issues?

" . . optional COIL springs . . . " !!

Last edited:
[DRIFT]

Land Rover Discovery - 25 Years of Discovery

Originally posted/dated 14 November 2014.

[/DRIFT]

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Yea, all very good. But it doesn't have a BV in the crew compartment does it...
Well there's an optional inverter & 230V socket outlet so.....

I have only JUST learnt of this optional feature . . . .

At 4:32 . . .

". . . . such as the optional coil spring suspension system . . . "