The new Land Rover Defender is go!

I`d call BS on that , in Germany used German premium cars are some of the cheapest in Europe.
I am talking about brand new cars.

As an example, a brand new BMW M2 COUPE costs about 70k USD in euro terms, while the same vehicle costs about 58k USD in the U.S.

I am talking about brand new cars.

As an example, a brand new BMW M2 COUPE costs about 70k USD in euro terms, while the same vehicle costs about 58k USD in the U.S.
So am I, $58k plus shipping, plus 8.25% import duty, plus Vat @21% , plus EU approval testing would make them far more expensive than a German show room, so your tale is BS.
edit , also note tyres and head lights have to be changed if not EU marked , so another £2-3 k.
I used to import vehicles from the US as a business.

You say that Land Rover's aren't reliable but I have only ever failed to get home in them twice

Once this year when the clutch fork went on my TD5 and once about 15 years ago when I had a Vogue dump its oil at speed and sieze, both times on vehicles pushing 20 years old.

I've had lots of faults and breakages due to hooliganism but they've pretty much always got me home. I've no complaints about them really
Seconded.

While I know the natural habitat is the back of a low loader, when I think about it even with bits dropping off my old Disco always got me home......mostly.

The exceptions being:
A flat battery after rolling it, I was preoccupied and didnt turn off the lights and the key fob battery died at the same time.
Anti sway bar snapping.
Wheel bearing turning to dust.
Clutch fork punching though, handily it did it just as I was about to go home from work so I could abandon it in the carpark.

The TD5 though just kept on trucking and would chew any amount of veg oil I stuck through it provided I kept her topped up with electrickery and warmed the filter in the winter.

Granted my regular servicing jobs were a bit more than on the wifes' Focus, but parts are relatively cheap and the knowledge base and amount of how to videos out there is huge.

Somehow I cant see the same level of inside knowledge developing on the new one. My go to LR forum has a model section for the hairdressers Land Rover Evoke. There are about three posts there; now it could be that they are new and super reliable or, more likely, the people who buy them wont fix em and will happily trundle off to the local Garage and chuck huge amounts of cash at them to try to fix things.

The new Defender seems to be aimed at Evoque drivers who want to park on a grass verge.
Sounds about right. My Mrs has just put a grand deposit down for a 90 and she drives an evoque..... hates the 110 with a passion but will bomb around in the stripped down lightweight quite happily in the summer

Sounds about right. My Mrs has just put a grand deposit down for a 90 and she drives an evoque..... hates the 110 with a passion but will bomb around in the stripped down lightweight quite happily in the summer
My OH drives a Discovery Sport. My first impression was that it was perfectly set up for parking on the verge. Now, after spending a couple of weekends in the bush, I have to say I’m mighty impressed.

Sure, it won’t go places where my Landcruiser goes, but that’s partly because It’s a new car that we care about whereas the Prado bears plenty of battle scars.

We’ve got a day booked at Landrover World; I’m really looking forward to seeing how well it works properly off road.

Still not convinced. I'll stick with the Scottish verdict of "Not Proven" for now.

Same goes for this lot, but the design proposition and target market is clear:

When Ineos build their first Grenadier I’ll believe the hype. There are plenty of multi-billionaires who have attempted motor industry startups and failed. And very few who have succeeded, Musk being the only one I can think of (if, indeed, he has succeeded).

Blogg

LE
When Ineos build their first Grenadier I’ll believe the hype. There are plenty of multi-billionaires who have attempted motor industry startups and failed. And very few who have succeeded, Musk being the only one I can think of (if, indeed, he has succeeded).
True. They are buying in engines from BMW and other key components from established makers which helps, but that doesn't mean the end product won't suck.

So in meantime I'll just keep my Land Cruiser going. Needs new rotors and pads, couple of suspension bushes are getting a bit tired, ATF needs changing again but that is it on a 2004 vehicle.

Albeit electric cars but James Dyson has just given up due to lack of commercial viability.

That this thread exists and that the last lot of defenders were going for £45k suggests there are plenty of idiots around who would spend lots of money to get and run a grenadier.

True. They are buying in engines from BMW and other key components from established makers which helps, but that doesn't mean the end product won't suck.

So in meantime I'll just keep my Land Cruiser going. Needs new rotors and pads, couple of suspension bushes are getting a bit tired, ATF needs changing again but that is it on a 2004 vehicle.
Mine’s 2001 and just shy of 450000km. It’s suspension was rebuilt 200000km ago and needs the same again. Other than that, it needs a new drivers seat. That’s it.

I’m still seriously going to look at the new Defender.

Mine’s 2001 and just shy of 450000km. It’s suspension was rebuilt 200000km ago and needs the same again. Other than that, it needs a new drivers seat. That’s it.

I’m still seriously going to look at the new Defender.
Even if I could afford one, the Defender JLR are pushing leaves me cold. It’s over priced and over complicated. It’s not versatile enough.
Should I be in a position to be able to afford one, I’d hold out for a Grenadier and if it turned out to be crap, all that money will purchase a really good ground up rebuilt Defender.

Even if I could afford one, the Defender JLR are pushing leaves me cold. It’s over priced and over complicated. It’s not versatile enough.
Should I be in a position to be able to afford one, I’d hold out for a Grenadier and if it turned out to be crap, all that money will purchase a really good ground up rebuilt Defender.

You are going to get complicated regardless of price. It can't be any other way than that now.
As for versatile, I guess we'll see when they are out on the roads

I did see one of the new 110's a week or so ago and they look better in the flesh. Didn't see it up close though

Jeep have a terrible reputation for reliability in Aus
Here in't US they are used for off roading and posing. The wannabe rufty tufty types stick on big wheels and tyres, jack up the suspension, stick on a winch and then drive around town. The newest aftermarket thing is kevlar infused paintwork to prevent scratches and dings - it looks a bit like that wrinkle finish paint because of all the micro threads of kevlar in the paint and it is also applied at about 2mm thickness.

Due to the poseur value of a Jeep Wrangler type vehicle they hold their secondhand value extremely well. I have seen ones for sale with approaching 100K miles being offered for approaching 2/3 new price. Here ===> https://www.carmax.com/cars/jeep

Personally I don't see what all the fuss is about as I think they are like a 4 wheeled biscuit tin sporting an overly thirsty power plant. I always thought they looked cool and considered buying one back in the late 80's in BAOR. As I used to get down to Frankfurt and Mainz regularly I decided to have poke and prod along with a test drive at the on base dealership down there. Yup, biscuit tin, cheap and nasty interior trim from the controls to the seating and worth nothing like the money being asked. Absolute tat.

Last edited: