The new Land Rover Defender is go!

I stand corrected!
The new 70 series is a fantastic workhorse. They did something approaching what Merc did with the G-Wagen; re-engineering it but keeping the same look. I don’t believe either have a long future though, but their volumes made it viable to build with a relatively short life span.

I don’t think LR had that choice with the Defender, either physically or commercially.

Personally I still think a non anti roll bar early Range Rover takes a lot of beating off road.
Fully agree , I had several when younger and put a 200 TDI in one and a 300TDI in a really nice 3.9 Vougue SE I got hold of when the 3.9 went porous and the guy just wanted rid ....... as most young farmer types we grew up with LR products .......first Landcruiser 80 was a revelation though ..... interior trim didn't fall off , it was just so much better built ....I wish LR has kept up and tried to make decent reliable vehicles .....they never did and still don't but that doesn't stop them selling !!

Fully agree , I had several when younger and put a 200 TDI in one and a 300TDI in a really nice 3.9 Vougue SE I got hold of when the 3.9 went porous and the guy just wanted rid ....... as most young farmer types we grew up with LR products .......first Landcruiser 80 was a revelation though ..... interior trim didn't fall off , it was just so much better built ....I wish LR has kept up and tried to make decent reliable vehicles .....they never did and still don't but that doesn't stop them selling !!

You say that Land Rover's aren't reliable but I have only ever failed to get home in them twice

Once this year when the clutch fork went on my TD5 and once about 15 years ago when I had a Vogue dump its oil at speed and sieze, both times on vehicles pushing 20 years old.

I've had lots of faults and breakages due to hooliganism but they've pretty much always got me home. I've no complaints about them really

You say that Land Rover's aren't reliable but I have only ever failed to get home in them twice

Once this year when the clutch fork went on my TD5 and once about 15 years ago when I had a Vogue dump its oil at speed and sieze, both times on vehicles pushing 20 years old.

I've had lots of faults and breakages due to hooliganism but they've pretty much always got me home. I've no complaints about them really
You don't own one of the current range of JLR products then ? most issues to be fair apart from V6 crankshafts are not with the oily bits but having repeated software updates , doors not closing , flat battery's , screens going blank or just not booting up , random glitches with radio or nav don't inspire confidence and are reliability issues .
One friend just sold her 18 plate R Rover because she didn't trust it to work after having been stuck in various car parks and towns waiting for Landrover Assist to come and sort it out.....her husbands 19 plate one is no better , they are on first name terms with the service manager of the dealer .

You don't own one of the current range of JLR products then ? most issues to be fair apart from V6 crankshafts are not with the oily bits but having repeated software updates , doors not closing , flat battery's , screens going blank or just not booting up , random glitches with radio or nav don't inspire confidence and are reliability issues .
One friend just sold her 18 plate R Rover because she didn't trust it to work after having been stuck in various car parks and towns waiting for Landrover Assist to come and sort it out.....her husbands 19 plate one is no better , they are on first name terms with the service manager of the dealer .

I run a fleet of commercial vehicle for a living, trust me when I say Land Rover aren't any worse than half the big volume manufacturers out there.

I had a driver walk in and tell me he had a light out on a Sprinter the other day, I asked him which one and he walked off chortling to himself and said the Engine Management Light,
It was the first time in ages he's been in a Sprinter that didn't flash up an EML at least once in the day. Proper giggling at is own joke he was too.

All modern motors are the same, over reliant on electronics and adblue, small engines with big power outputs and fantasy emissions claims.
Capable of massive mileages, they just cost a shitload of money to maintain and when they die they do so at massive expense.

And no, my current LR is a TD5 Discovery bit I have also run a Jaguar XF TDV6 for nearly 6 years now and other than service items its never had a spanner on it. Its 9 years old, goes like shit off a stick and I currently have no intention of parting with it.
Unlike my wife's DS4 which is just out of warranty and giving lots of Adblue related grief every time it rains.

All modern motors are the same, over reliant on electronics and adblue, small engines with big power outputs and fantasy emissions claims.
Capable of massive mileages, they just cost a shitload of money to maintain and when they die they do so at massive expense.
I recently spoke to the head mechanic of the Haulage company I worked for, for many years. He tells me that they won't be keeping tractor units anywhere as long anymore.
Before they'd keep a wagon up to 6 years, now with Euro5/6 and pigpi55... sorry Adblu no more than 3. Anything after that, your on borrowed time.
He says, even huge truck manufacturers like Volvo, their reliability and resale values have just dropped off.

The new Jeep pickup looks like it might be a successor to the Defender of yore, certainly in basic spec. Have any transatlantic Arrsers encountered one?

Over here next year for the civvy market , no doubt it will over priced and over rated in the media.
Just like a lot of cars are. You want to see eye watering prices? Go to OZ - 30 to 40% more than European prices for the same car. Sometimes even more for premium brands.

And I thought the UK was expensive.

Just like a lot of cars are. You want to see eye watering prices? Go to OZ - 30 to 40% more than European prices for the same car. Sometimes even more for premium brands.

And I thought the UK was expensive.
The US being one of the cheapest places to buy cars ( US built)

The US being one of the cheapest places to buy cars ( US built)
You might be surprised.

Most/ all European built cars are cheaper to buy in the U.S. A few of my ex-German colleagues (working in the U.S) actually bought some German built BMW M3s and M5s and shipped them over back to Germany and it was still quite a bit cheaper than buying them in Germany where they were made, including shipping charges! I was surprised myself as well.

The one thing which varies is that second hand car prices are much higher in the U.S. compared to the UK, so you might as well buy a new one in the U.S.

You might be surprised.

Most/ all European built cars are cheaper to buy in the U.S. A few of my ex-German colleagues (working in the U.S) actually bought some German built BMW M3s and M5s and shipped them over back to Germany and it was still quite a bit cheaper than buying them in Germany where they were made, including shipping charges! I was surprised myself as well.

The one thing which varies is that second hand car prices are much higher in the U.S. compared to the UK, so you might as well buy a new one in the U.S.
Doesnt figure with the BMW`s , import duty and tax would have to paid on both legs of the journey then they would have to pass EU spec approval to get registered in Germany , shipping can easily be over £1k .

Doesnt figure with the BMW`s , import duty and tax would have to paid on both legs of the journey then they would have to pass EU spec approval to get registered in Germany , shipping can easily be over £1k .
I dunno - just telling what they told me. I don't know the various intricacies of German laws.

I dunno - just telling what they told me. I don't know the various intricacies of German laws.
I`d call BS on that , in Germany used German premium cars are some of the cheapest in Europe.

Latest Threads