The new France under Sarkozy - beyond the borders

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Alsacien, May 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6631001.stm

The French have a new president who has already been likened to Mrs Thatcher, is dynamic and driven, pro anglo-saxon, cool regarding the EU and does not mind ruffling feathers.

Not many French seem to like him, but many feel they need him - so what does this mean beyond French borders? What changes to foreign policy will he implement?

2. He is already (indeed, for some time) flagged as a potential Bush poodle, and - on the French domestic front - a smoother, more digestible version of J.M. Le Pen.

All of which - if correct - adds up to no good at all for France or the UK.

If, as he intends, he seeks actively to shake the French out of their 35 hrs/week lethargy, we will see riots on French streets well before Christmas.

Or, I should have said, more riots. There were several last night.

Rock on . . . . 8) :roll:

3. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Not that I know much about the socio-economic situation on the ground in France, but I do watch programme after programme and see article after article saying that France needs economic reform á la Maggie. This will no doubt change the base structure of French society, but post Thatcher Britain isn't in such a weak economic position, tho' we could all go on for hours about the state of our society; hopefully France will be able to use Britain's model as a way to negotiate the straits between competitive economics and labour and social responsibility.

As to leaning toward the Anglo-Saxons, the Last thing that France needs is to mimic the UK let alone the US; there are plenty of people that can teach them about the Weberian concept of the 'protestant work ethic' on the mainland.

5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Cannot see him being anyones poodle - even if Hilary gets in and there is a Reagan/Thatcher situation.

I see some pain in front, riots yes, face-off(s) with the unions (lets see how he stacks up against Maggie then!!), but the feeling is he will be good for France and that people are prepared to back him even if it hurts.

But is a strong pro-anglo-saxon France good for UK? That's the interesting question no-one I have spoken to seems to know......

6. Nicolas Sarkozy said “I'll object to Turkey's EU membership if I become president”

"Turkey is not on the European continent and is an Asia Minor country, muslim dominated," reiterating his stance suggesting that Turkey didn't belong to European civilization."

The clash of civilizations has started

Source: http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/detaylar.do?load=detay&link=110274

7. France has suffered terrible youth unemployment for many years and this is a large reason why there are so many young French people starting new lives in the UK.

Any French leader that is willing to tackle the ridiculous labour laws in France will be a good thing for France.
    In terms of becoming a Bush poodle, no-one in France would allow such a thing to happen! Part of the French identity is not doing what the Anglo-Saxon world expects NATO partners should do.

Of course, there will be more riots because of this election result but there would've been anyway. The French love a riot.

8. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I think both the Dutch and the Germans sufficiently demonstrate the work ethic, and Weber was writing about them when he coined the phrase. I have worked with both Dutch and German colleagues and they do seem diligent in their work ethic. I was not referring to mainland Europe (gave my political position away there didn’t I ;) ) as a model for economic reform, I think as everyone agrees that will be á la Maggie. Mind you despite the problems Germany has (and again noting the fact I’m not an economist) they seem to have assimilated the East better than worst case scenarios painted.

10. Eh? You must of daydreamed through history class my friend... the clash began a millenium ago and did not end before the gates of Vienna by any means.

11. Given the rabid anti-Islamism within the Turkish elite and military, the use of the Latin alphabet, membership of NATO etc I would dispute the notion that "all her leanings are eastwards". I would venture that in may cases they are not so very different to the Greeks.

Clearly most of the land mass is in Asia (wasn't much of our own Empire's...) but I don't see this necessarily need exclude them from Club Europe. The question is whether or not it would be advantageous to us. I think it possibly would.

I trust you have already launched the protest to remove Israel from Eurovision on the same grounds?

12. why do we care about the french elections?? what are they going to grow some balls now??

13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Turkish EU membership is a whole new topic, but I understand Sarkozy favours a "special status" regarding the Turkish EU position, not full membership. In this he reflects the majority view of the French populace, so its a no-brainer.

14. LOL, Insanity.

Europe, Asia, America, Africa, don't they usuallly mean geographical areas, not empires or countries.

So the logic would be you couldn't call South Africa part of South America, just as you could not call New Zealand part of Africa, just as you can not call a country, Turkey European as it is in Asia.

Education Education Education, Blair failure...

15. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Even with the important precedent of the Eurovision Song Contest - I would have to agree.

However the current EU thinking is more about "European'ness" and aspirations towards, rather than geography - which is why the ball is in court.............