The New Effects Map

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by milsum, May 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Perhaps this belongs in an Officer thread (TA), but it's a training question.

According to reports from Sandhurst, the 'new' effects map must not have a map sketched on it.

The consensus in my unit seems to be that using the (cumbersome, repetitive) Nyrex this may work, but surely the best way to go through the first 3 of the 7 questions is with the old-style effects map.

Is there a way to find out exactly what the requirement is at Sandhurst? Different RTCs seem to do things so wildly differently, what's the authoratitive answer for the requirement at Sandhurst?

2. I thought that the effects map was for questions 3 - 6 or am I wrong? :?

3. This question is being asked on behalf of a fellow PO who recently attended a mod 2 concentrated course. They are very confused, and now I am too. I think the question is, will they get a ticking off if they go drawing maps, and which version should they be practising? Our DS as yet are unsure. I've never used a nyrex in my life and am slightly worried I'll turn up and look like a tit (unavoidable perhaps!)

4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

milsum,

As long as you understand the concept, and can use the 7Qs as a decision making aid then you will be on the right track.

Someone else may be able to give more detail, but I am confident that RMAS will show you exactly how they want it done once you get there in order to iron out any inconsistencies.

Duke

5. msr

msr LE

RMAS should be having a big input into the RTC PO trg standards.

I am disappointed to hear that not one of the DS could be bothered to phone them and ask for clarification.

No doubt they will put you right when you get there, but the course should really be the 'icing on the cake', not a retraining session.

msr

6. Thanks, that makes sense.

7. Agreed msr.

I also believe that the PO training regime should not be about learning-to-pass-tests but becoming a leader : I'm a PQO so can't claim the full 48 weeks knowledge of the Factory but the idea of RTC PO trg being based simply on "lets just get you through" is demoralising to say the very least.

Milsum - I'd recommend getting back to the DS at your training regiment and using the influencing skills that you as an officer should have to motivate them to get the answers for you.

8. Last time this question got asked there the answer was that they were told to continue teaching the old method, that the new method would be taught on arrival at Sandhurst, and it didn't really matter anyway as the skills required are the same.