THE 'NEW' ARMY

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by bluelight_01, May 25, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it me or has a totally new army snuck in since the millenium?
    It seems there are now only three ranks:

1.  Officer
    2.  Warrant Officer
    3.  Everyone else

This simplification of ranks seems to invite private soldiers to call you 'mate' despite being a Sgt or SSgt, or if they're female privates, not to call you anything at all!

It's also a less formal army, as you will find when asking the name of a female Lance Corporal, as she will reply "Julie".

It also seems that Officers only have to reach puberty before attaining the rank of Major and thus Command a Squadron or Company of their own.

Health and Safety has replaced broken limbs or bullet wounds to become the number one excuse for not doing work.  Such as:

"Corporal Smith, help me move this locker"

Reply : "Sorry Staff, Health & Safety - I haven't done a course in locker removal."

The old army seems to have disappeared completely.  The one where Seniors didn't have to do BFTs at all.  Now we're the only ones that pass them.  You weren't a real man unless you were breathing in Makralon dust as you sawed through it, whilst slapping carcinogenous IRR paint all over a landrover and yourself.  If you were charged, only the evidence of the senior person was taken into consideration.  In fact, the fact you were in Number 2s without belt and beret was a sure sign of guilt.  The CQMS was a mythical creature - like a dragon or a unicorn and could never be found (especially after lunch).
    Finally, the good looking girls did a year's service, got married and left to have babies and work in the NAAFI.  Now they're nearly all gorgeous and the really clever ones act thick and helpless and get promoted!!

Is it me?  Or is it that I'm just an old bugger..................    

2. All the females are gorgeous?  What unit are you with?  We've got one or two 'operationally pretty' lasses, who for the sake of not upsetting anyone, I'll say they have no problem scoring in places like Germany.......or, the Falklands :D, where they are favoured over the hairy non English speaking Germans or the wooly non speaking sheep!

As for the clever ones playing up as thick.........all of ours do that.  Sure fire way of getting some other bugger to do your job.  Mind you, it's not just the ladies who get up to that game.  

I know of one, who is a good looking lass, who gets things done for her by the 'silly fauning brigade' just by talking to them.  Is she being clever or are they being stupid.........as none of them will ever bang it, the sad f*cks.  

Another clever move is the 'pregnany test'.......I'm up the duff so I can't work Sir.  You couldn't work before you were pregnant dear!   Lots of bosses on the back foot on that one because they don't read the regulations concerning pregnant soldiers, are so afraid of getting into trouble as the pregnant soldier seems to know her rights........and therefore let her get away with it all, much to the upset of the remaining troops.  If only they would read the Regs!

It gets really cute when there's a female in charge and you've got female ORs.  Do they get away with murder playing the 'girly thing' or what?  

So blue light 01, it's not you, it's just the silly gutless twats who let them all get away with it, as they are so afraid of upsetting certain people.........forgetting completely, that the majority will suffer and it is they who will be upset, as it is they who will have to graft.

ARMY...............a job for men!!...............allegedly ;D

3. Feeking right.  What else do we pass cadres, etc, etc for??  When you get your third, relaxation becomes a secondary word.

4. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I think the Old Army was replaced by the New Army in about 1992-93 when the first influx of girls joined a specific Corps and not just the WRAC. Bit like the BEF in 1914- wiped out and replaced by the militia!

Post Falklands the only Sgt, I ever saw was when the Cpl had dropped a bollok and was beating him up- prior to the Cpl beating us! Also WO2's- Forget it, they spent the afternoon playing snooker in the Mess- checking the property book! Pity the Pte who had to go and get the RQMS for the QM! We didn't know what to do when we entered the Sgts Mess in those days! Beret on? Beret off? Who to see the Manager or the SSgt cook? Excellent fun!

Now as stated H&S rule the roost and for a girl to be pregnant- get in the Trg Wing and amend Pam 6!

PLus I agree the 'Pretty girls definately play the game- not the Game- I only ever saw the 'facially challenged' girls grafting whilst the 'pretty one' would be making the Cpl's tea!

5. Have to agree with all that Ma wrote.  But from what I can see this will never change being as there are only 2 sexes.   ???

Unfortunately the female shirkers will always give those that get on and do the job a bad name but as long as (and I am sorry to say this but its usually only them) the men let them get away with it things will never improve.  H&S has far too much say these days in the modern workplace be that military or civilian and Brussels even more so  :mad: and obviously there is little that can be done about that.

For what its worth when I was in the females got away with nothing with me and from experience I know that was the case with other female senior ranks too towards those who were trying to pull the wool.  Its also an arguement I always had with the guys whose complaints usuallly were "She came crying to me saying Staff I cant get the tyre off this landrover" and bitterly complaining that she had the same training as everyone else so she should be able to do it.  When I asked what his reaction to her whinging was he replied "Did it myself or got someone else to do it"  So who is the fool here?  ???  Come on guys change it around and dont let them get away with it.   ;D

6. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Miss N, you have more chance Yasser Afafat becoming Jewish. Blokes won't change and as long as the 'eye flutter' works then the girl will use it.

When a Sgt does stand up and be counted he finds himself infront of his OC for various 'crimes against the poor Ptes' The Sgt isn't backed up and the vicious circle continues!

But as posts in and around ARSSE, there are good females and $hit blokes, but that is the case in every walk of life! Unfortunatley when Pte X (Female) can't cut it a bloke will have to her job and his own. Never the other way around! I have served with several excellent women who put the lads to shame, but they soon see the light and get out as they are pushing water uphill with a pointed stick!

But back to the new Army original thread- I agree with the points, I am sure when I joined up just before the 1980's, all my intake were to$$ers and not worth training. Just a bit concerned where the Army will end up- an armed cub scout group!

7. Boys and Girls,

I understand that perhaps you lot, Sorry Staff and Sgt, are a wee bit outdated but get with the beat baby, this is 2003!

Pissed as ever

WR

8. Didn't notice your feet together during that last post, weinercrack

:D

9. Bluelight

That was one of the best articles I have seen on Arrse.

Brill :D

10. many a good point made, but most only have themselves to blame.
    All should be treated as soldiers first and gender is second.

H&S is a good thing if looked at sensibly, most is just common sense.

So it time to bit the bullet and get on with what all soldiers do best
    adapt and work the system!

happy days!

11. Boys' Boys, Boys you have it all wrong!!!!!!!!

There was I admit a rather strange turn of events over the last 10 years or so that saw the young Pte taking charge (irrelevant of sex). But those times they are a changin'. The young scrotes turning up today from the depot have the IQ of a pair of Iraqi gunboat mechanics coveralls.

You need to actively retake control and join me and the lads in the mess for T+T at 1000hrs.

H&S - Don't worry there are plenty of valuable courses out there to help eg: Tyre changing instructor and calm operator, taught I believe at DST.

Don't become swamped with the day to day running of the Gaff, leave it to the Cpl's who have been warned about lack of personal capabilities and the resulting three month warning order.

For the Pte with everything but respect for rank allow him or her to experience rank on a daily basis checking car passes in and out of camp. They'll either become everything you want or sign off ........... No staying power you see.

Seize control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. How come you've got six medals with only ten posts?

13. That's bo11ocks. If you do complain that a girl isn't doing what every other soldier of their rank is supposed to do, and I have done, you get called sexist and told to shut up.

I've always said sexual equality should be just that, equality. Not an option for them to get away with 'murder' by taking advantage of some sad individuals.

In my day.......

14. Was in a position earlier this year to view ther modern army in action , the thing that struck me most was , a sigs unit erecting tents and masts, 3 pte "girlys" and 2 pte guys and 1 L/cpl (not quite sure who was the most girlyish though) anyway the 6 mentioned here were stood around laughing joking smoking whilst 2 yes 2 sgts were erecting a tent...............I despair :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: