The necessity of toughening of the backside for Coppers

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by sunoficarus, Mar 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mind how you go Sir, and mind those buttocks

15 March 2011 Last updated at 11:20
    Grampian Police officers receive pedal bike training

Grampian Police said training could prevent cycling injuries
    Lessons in how to get onto a bike and pedal are being given to officers from Grampian Police.

A one-day training course is accompanied by a 17-page booklet.

The document states that the safest and recommended method of starting off is to straddle the bicycle before pedalling.

A Grampian Police spokesman said the training was essential for force cyclists, particularly those involved in chases.

The manual explains: "Unless a person is a regular cyclist before commencing bike patrol duties, a conditioning process is inevitable.

"This process, which includes the re-training of muscles and the toughening of the backside, can cause discomfort.

"In most cases time on the bike is the only way to cure the problem. For some people, rear end toughening can take up to three weeks of daily cycling."

It adds: "A diet which relies heavily on junk food is neither appropriate or healthy."

The force spokesman said: "Cyclists are among the most vulnerable road users and as such it would be negligent of the force to fail to provide adequate training for officers.

"Police cyclists can be involved in pursuits and as such are given advanced training to ensure their safety."

BBC News - Grampian Police officers receive pedal bike training
  2. That has to be straight form a monty python sketch, well is this effect of the cuts? the police can't even afford the Pandas now.
  3. I think its the same in all forces back in the midlands i know a couple of cops and PCSO's who work for west mids and they all have to take a course before they can start to use one its madness but it covers the liability of the force i belive, if one were to fall off hurt them selves blame & claim would have a field say on how they werent properly trained and probably get the copper a few K in compensation so the top are just covering their own backsides probably a few quid now is less than a £10k claim latter.
    A better point is the bikes they use apparantly west mids use smith & wessons imported from the states at somewhere around a nice £1.2k each and last year they binned a load of them to save cash by not having to train as many cops to use them. paid some firm to throw them away not sold on if i knew where they were binning them i'd have borrowed a van and gone dumbster diving dozen or so expensive bikes would net you a couple of quid and got me a new bike in the process :)
  4. I guess with budgets tight they will have to do the blue light riding course afterwards?

They will need pursuit rules and experienced pursuit riders for any speed over 15mph.

These riders will be trained in the PIT manoevre to stop escaping mobility scooters, and teams of riders will be trained to perform the rolling block on those found drunk in charge of prams.

Television rights will already have been sold, for four hundred repeats of the same afternoon in Walsall.
  5. nice little scam by S&W buy giant mountain bikes get somebody to spray paint them bingo law enforcement bikes kerching 50% price rise .
    Thing is a recreational mountain bike costing £1000 is not really going to last very long if used 8 hours a day 5 days a week.
    buying bicycles off a gun maker is just dumb.
    In urban areas a bike has some serious advantages over car or a copper on foot but needs a bit of thought put into it.
  6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Well done BH, your posts now have a wee bit punctuation - sentences- paragraphs (almost) and are becoming a bit more readable. :)
  7. He's still struggling with capitals though.
  8. Not really, after all we bought Chinooks from a washing machine manufacturer. Same production line, different product.
  9. Anyone else reminded of the opening scenes from Hot Fuzz? :policecap:

Just me then...:-D
  10. sunoficarus, I hope that child has been properly training in the use of that thing !! and wheres his PPE ? I'd expect at least a helmet, eye protectors, gloves and knee & elbow pads !!
  11. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

BSA used to make bicycles as well as damned fine motorcycles, way back when...

12. Why can't Plod do what they did back in the day,Walk?

I still get misty eyed when I think of the nasty old copper,who could outrun anything on 2 legs,whilst blowing his whistle (Do they still get issued with a whistle?),walked his beat on his own.

His only means of communication was the Police Box Telephone(Yes,Dr Who fans they were used for something other than housing a Tardis) ,highly adept at Cape Kung Fu,didn't need a baton,had his trusty truncheon,knew all the local yobs.

Knew you were guilty just by looking at you,knew were he could go to have a sly ciggie so the Sarge wouldn't catch him.

Did the job in all weathers,and was respected by all. ;-)
  13. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Was Dixon of Dock Green ever a reality?