The National Army Museum.

Who is running the newly refurbished Army Museum? This reporter is not too impressed by it.

If various other museums are anything to go by, some lefty with a fine arts degree. Had a quick look at their website for the forthcoming events and there were three: A talk on the Indian Mutiny, causes, effects, etc etc - by someone who from his name, I take to be a Sikh. A talk on feminism and the army. A talk on diversity and the army. Whoop de doo!

It says a lot really that it chose to close and have its major refurb during half the period of the centenary of WWI.

edited for stupidity

Durandal1

Old-Salt
The museum was going down hill for years.
I plan to visit it the next time I'm over in London to see the new job.
If you're not impressed with it take the opportunity to lambaste the place regularly on online review sites, criticism offered directly to management will not listened to.

I finally went there the other week. It was disappointing. Whereas before it was all based on different periods, with good Napoleonic and First World War sections, now it's more about concepts. It's disjointed, confused and they got rid of some of a lot of the better displays. I used to really like it, but now it's like the IWM.

Which is also rubbish since its refurbishment, if anyone wasn't sure.

I finally went there the other week. It was disappointing. Whereas before it was all based on different periods, with good Napoleonic and First World War sections, now it's more about concepts. It's disjointed, confused and they got rid of some of a lot of the better displays. I used to really like it, but now it's like the IWM.

Which is also rubbish since its refurbishment, if anyone wasn't sure.
I expect that both establishments are run by professional administrators with no particular connection or interest in the military.

I used to have a ticket for the reading room at the NAM.

A talk on the Indian Mutiny, causes, effects, etc etc - by someone who from his name, I take to be a Sikh.
Who in the main stayed loyal to the Sirkar.

We went last Thursday and were also disappointed. Much stuff now not on display and some of it that was on display was pants (SA80 with broken buttplate for example). It's aimed at kids with 'interactive' things (most of which were broken already). I guess that reflects today's army quite well though.

Only good bit (for me) was the Colour from the Battle of Albuhera which I had not seen on previous visits. I am wondering if it is a temporary display as it was in the temporary display area?

The bits of the Berlin Wall are no longer displayed (no big guns at the front either).
I would have been very annoyed if I had needed to pay to get in.

oldnotbold

War Hero
There's a thread already open on this - but the verdicts are pretty consistent.

The main question from my mates in the "Friends" is whether the director will get her ill-deserved damehood out of the refurb. Presumably the citation will read "for not being quite as pump as the IWM North"

oldnotbold

War Hero
We went last Thursday and were also disappointed. Much stuff now not on display and some of it that was on display was pants (SA80 with broken buttplate for example). It's aimed at kids with 'interactive' things (most of which were broken already). I guess that reflects today's army quite well though.

Only good bit (for me) was the Colour from the Battle of Albuhera which I had not seen on previous visits. I am wondering if it is a temporary display as it was in the temporary display area?

The bits of the Berlin Wall are no longer displayed (no big guns at the front either).
I would have been very annoyed if I had needed to pay to get in.
Oh, but you did...the £23.75 million came from taxes and lottery tickets

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
a coach load from SSAFA lunch club went the other week. They were not impressed thought it had been set up for the benefit of five year olds .

a coah loads from SSAFA lunch club went the other week. Thet were not impressed thought it had been set up for the benefit of five year olds .
That does seem to be the moderm museum way of thinking. Instead of developing the child, infantilise everything and everybody. Everything has to offer instant gratification and a minimum requirement of comprehension.

Spent some time there a couple of weeks ago and thought it was very poor. It seemed confused in terms of the layout with no real logical flow. What exhibits there were seemed to me very hard to identify against the written explanations. The exhibits on display only seemed to play a supporting role against walls of text and interactive activities, which to a simpleton like me defeats the object of a museum.

a coach load from SSAFA lunch club went the other week. They were not impressed thought it had been set up for the benefit of five year olds .
I felt the same way about the Science Museum having visited for the first time in several years and have heard that the IWM has gone the same way. It would appear to be a recurring theme, sadly.

I felt the same way about the Science Museum having visited for the first time in several years and have heard that the IWM has gone the same way. It would appear to be a recurring theme, sadly.

Not museums now dear boy, 'experience centres'.

1967 - look at this magnificent mill steam engine

2017 - imagine how you would have felt working in a dark satanic mill.

Not museums now dear boy, 'experience centres'.

1967 - look at this magnificent mill steam engine

2017 - imagine how you would have felt working in a dark satanic mill.
Very true; and as the son of a bloke who made working models of 'magnificent mill steam engines' and lots of other industrial stuff for places including the Science Museum I lament the change in emphasis. I think both approaches should be done concurrently though, not one to the exclusion of the other. It's all got a bit out of kilter.

Very true; and as the son of a bloke who made working models of 'magnificent mill steam engines' and lots of other industrial stuff for places including the Science Museum I lament the change in emphasis. I think both approaches should be done concurrently though, not one to the exclusion of the other. It's all got a bit out of kilter.

Trendies reimagine history through a modern looking glass.

For a farm hand in the 1800's, life on the land was not a soft focus bucolic paradise, it was a brutal and short life of grinding poverty, back breaking toil and usually death by consumption by 30.

The reasons millions flocked to the dark satanic mills was it was paradise compared with life on the land.

Latest Threads