The National Anthem

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mr_Relaxed, Feb 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Okay, so I've got the rugby on, can hear "God Save the Queen"...

And then the Scots start singing something else?!?

Is "God Save the Queen" now the English National Anthem? Did I miss a meeting?
  2. God save the Queen has always been the English National Anthem, Jocks sing Flower of Scotland and the Welsh sing Land of my Fathers!

3. Why what did you think it was?
  4. Personally I think it's ridiculous the English team sing the British national anthem... but then the English and the rest of the world seem to think British = English; "No I'm from Northern Ireland... not England (thankfully)" :D
  5. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

'The Sash My Father Wore', then...
  6. :roll:

Funny and bigoted, I'm impressed.
  7. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

8. Well I could hardly agree and upset sensitive souls like bugsy7 could i :wink:

twa.t :D
  9. There is a little bit of a problem with the full national anthem, where

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
    May by thy mighty aid,
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to crush,
    God save the King.

A verse that was added after BonnyPrince Charlie was attempting to invade England. The verse isnormally ommitted, but exists. Flower of Scotland was adopted as the unofficial anthem.
  10. Myth. The "Marshal Wade" words were added by someone to what was then an unofficial song, and in a time of national crisis. That is the way political and patriotic songs worked in the 18th century. Note it refers to crushing REBELLIOUS Scots - not ALL Scots - after all the Scottish nation was not in rebellion against the British government, either in 1715 or in 1745-46.

Although the Scotsman newspaper prints a letter roughly ever six months suggesting that they were, in fact the 'offending' words have never been part of the British national anthem.
  11. I agree that it seems a bit strange that the English team sing the UK national anthem but the rest of the nations don't. Last year The english team tried to install Land of Hope and Glory as their anthem and I'm pretty sure Jerusalem is played as the unofficial anthem at Twickers after the anthems have finished.
  12. God Save The Queen is played as the national anthem in this country by convention only, it is a principally a royal anthem. It is also played in Australia, Canada, etc., in the presence of the Queen or a member of the Royal Family.

There is no law or royal proclamation that designates GSTQ as the national anthem, and there are consequently no 'official' lyrics.
  13. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Surely the Engerlisch anthem is (especially after today, and probably after the forthcoming World Cup)

ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE Ha-ha, ha-ha. ha,ha, ah,ah :oops:
  14. I wouldn't upset me, manchestercop!

What would upset me, though, is all the bum notes you'd hit.:D :D :D

15. Yes, the words of the National Anthem are only a matter of tradition - but have not changed in more than 200 years.

Bear in mind it WAS the national anthem in Australia, Canada etc just as much as here - not just for royal occasions.[hr]
    PS: QRs clearly have official force and while they do not specify the words (or the tune), they contain several references to "the National Anthem", and not only in the context of Royal Salutes.