• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

The National Anthem

Okay, so I've got the rugby on, can hear "God Save the Queen"...

And then the Scots start singing something else?!?

Is "God Save the Queen" now the English National Anthem? Did I miss a meeting?

Mr_Relaxed said:
Okay, so I've got the rugby on, can hear "God Save the Queen"...

And then the Scots start singing something else?!?

Is "God Save the Queen" now the English National Anthem? Did I miss a meeting?
Why what did you think it was?

Personally I think it's ridiculous the English team sing the British national anthem... but then the English and the rest of the world seem to think British = English; "No I'm from Northern Ireland... not England (thankfully)" :D

There is a little bit of a problem with the full national anthem, where

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the King.

A verse that was added after BonnyPrince Charlie was attempting to invade England. The verse isnormally ommitted, but exists. Flower of Scotland was adopted as the unofficial anthem.

Wha_Dar said:
There is a little bit of a problem with the full national anthem, where

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the King.

A verse that was added after BonnyPrince Charlie was attempting to invade England. The verse isnormally ommitted, but exists. Flower of Scotland was adopted as the unofficial anthem.
Myth. The "Marshal Wade" words were added by someone to what was then an unofficial song, and in a time of national crisis. That is the way political and patriotic songs worked in the 18th century. Note it refers to crushing REBELLIOUS Scots - not ALL Scots - after all the Scottish nation was not in rebellion against the British government, either in 1715 or in 1745-46.

Although the Scotsman newspaper prints a letter roughly ever six months suggesting that they were, in fact the 'offending' words have never been part of the British national anthem.

I agree that it seems a bit strange that the English team sing the UK national anthem but the rest of the nations don't. Last year The english team tried to install Land of Hope and Glory as their anthem and I'm pretty sure Jerusalem is played as the unofficial anthem at Twickers after the anthems have finished.

God Save The Queen is played as the national anthem in this country by convention only, it is a principally a royal anthem. It is also played in Australia, Canada, etc., in the presence of the Queen or a member of the Royal Family.

There is no law or royal proclamation that designates GSTQ as the national anthem, and there are consequently no 'official' lyrics.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Surely the Engerlisch anthem is (especially after today, and probably after the forthcoming World Cup)

ALWAYS LOOK ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF LIFE Ha-ha, ha-ha. ha,ha, ah,ah :oops:

manchestercop said:
Well I could hardly agree and upset sensitive souls like bugsy7 could i :wink:

twa.t :D
I wouldn't upset me, manchestercop!

What would upset me, though, is all the bum notes you'd hit.:D :D :D

MsG

Yes, the words of the National Anthem are only a matter of tradition - but have not changed in more than 200 years.

Bear in mind it WAS the national anthem in Australia, Canada etc just as much as here - not just for royal occasions.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page317.asp[hr]
PS: QRs clearly have official force and while they do not specify the words (or the tune), they contain several references to "the National Anthem", and not only in the context of Royal Salutes.

I like the verse that goes

Arise O Lord our God
Scatter Her enemies
And make them fall
Counfound their politics
Frustrate their knavish tricks
On Thee our hopes we fix
God save us all!

Doesn't this just create un-needed "anti-Royalism", if England had a different "anthem" we could keep GSTQ for truly UK events or sing it at everything.

I thought Billy Connelly said"Nobody's Child" sung by Scotland's number one Country and Western group, the Alexander Brothers was the
offical national anthem. As soon as Scots have slurred their way through "Nobody's Child" they then proceed to slaughter "Flower of Scotland".

I am positive that they invented bagpipes to prevent the Jockenese singing!

hammockhead said:
God Save The Queen is played as the national anthem in this country by convention only, it is a principally a royal anthem. It is also played in Australia, Canada, etc., in the presence of the Queen or a member of the Royal Family..............
Not this time.

Queen's Anthem Snubbed

26feb06

THE QUEEN is at the centre of a Commonwealth Games controversy over a decision not to play the royal anthem at the opening ceremony.

M2006 says God Save the Queen will not be played at the MCG despite the Queen launching the Games.
But the move has been slammed as an unconstitutional snub. And it appears to contradict the Federal Government's website, which says the royal anthem should be played at public engagements attended by Her Majesty.

An M2006 spokeswoman said this week: "We are not required to play the English national anthem at the opening ceremony and we shall not be playing the English national anthem at the opening ceremony."

But staunch monarchist Prof David Flint said it was "a snub".

"It seems ungracious, not so much even to the Queen, but to people at the ceremony and those watching," said Prof Flint, of Australians for a Constitutional Monarchy.

"It would seem appropriate at some stage during the opening ceremony to play the royal anthem. I think most people would be pleased to hear it in the presence of The Queen. It is, after all, her 80th year."

A Buckingham Palace spokeswoman was diplomatic over the issue.

"The Queen is a guest, she is opening the Games, but M2006 is the host. If that is what they have deemed appropriate then we will go by that," she said. Our royal games.

Source: Herald Sun Australia

manchestercop said:
Personally I think it's ridiculous the English team sing the British national anthem... but then the English and the rest of the world seem to think British = English; "No I'm from Northern Ireland... not England (thankfully)" :D
my family is from NI and our anthem is the British National Anthem. it serves to unify the United Kingdom.

i have never understood why the National Anthem becomes the sole property of the English during events like these. it should be kept separate in my view and if adopted as it is now, by just one of the kingdoms it could sow the seeds of disunity and discord and eventually belittle the very thing it stands for.

i think it is time for the English to find their own national song. What would it be i wonder..oh the choices the choices :p