The Nation Rejoices

Bob Upndown

War Hero
Only if you drink Stella Artois
It was once explained to me thus:

Stella - Wife beater
Kronenbourg 1664 - Child beater

No panic buying of booze in Wales, everyone's sourcing it from England to get round the minimum price laws
Only the Harold Ramps and Turps Nudgers who drying white cider. If you drink anything better than drain cleaner the price hasn’t changed.

IIRC one of my colleagues in the dusty parts of the old Empire took significant risks in providing us with 1 L bottle of mouthwash ( flavoured Vodka) and never was a word leaked out -- we were trained how to turn this all into urine!
SWMBO worked out in the UAE for a while.
There were several dodges including Vodka coloured with food dye in mouthwash bottles.
One particularly smart cookie had Vodka and Gin shipped out in bottles labelled variously

ethyl hydrate
ethyl hydroxide
hydroxyethane
methylcarbinol

All of which are names for alcohol.

kimmi851

Old-Salt
I am in disgrace with my colleague for buying her a "make your own beer" kit for a joke - apparently now its wasteful if she doesn't make the beer - so that is her bath being used as the only possible container. That is her reasoning anyway.

Only the Harold Ramps and Turps Nudgers who drying white cider. If you drink anything better than drain cleaner the price hasn’t changed.
Exactly hence the panic buying over the border

For example Aldi cider (made by Westons) is I think suddenly £1.25 a bottle dearer, in my local Spar bottles of there own brand cider have doubled in price from £2.50 to £5 a bottle

The real chav stuff is suddenly £11.25 for a 2 litre bottle, not much fun for the village oiks suddenly

People notice that kind of increase, but order from England and carry on normal jogging...

Last edited:
we are in almost total lockdown now but life goes on. The kitchens are functioning albeit with limited staff. Our Croatian body guards baked an excellent huge loaf of Italian style bread last night and I have enough raw materials to make another 60 litres of red wine. Now, if only we had a block of good strong cheddar life would be almost normal
I can make pretty basic, if rather grim, home-brew beer. How do you manage making red wine in abstemious lands? That must involve carrying some serious kit in your luggage. I know Amazon don't deliver the kit out where I am.

I can make pretty basic, if rather grim, home-brew beer. How do you manage making red wine in abstemious lands? That must involve carrying some serious kit in your luggage. I know Amazon don't deliver the kit out where I am.
Two methods for grape wine:
1. Bring kits in from UK. The Solomon Grundy 7 day kits make quite a decent brew if you leave them a bit longer than 7 days.
2. Buy red grape juice from local shops. Make sure it has no preservatives or added sugar. Add a mug of very strong black tea to the brew as grape juice from the shops doesn’t have enough tannin.

I brew the wine in 20 litre water containers using very basic kit and it turns out some pretty decent stuff.

Any progress with the book?

Red wine recipes in arduous conditions and photos of your LECs (not the deminers - the other ones ) for the special edition.
Actually that’s not a bad idea

1. Bring kits in from UK. The Solomon Grundy 7 day kits make quite a decent brew if you leave them a bit longer than 7 days.
2. Buy red grape juice from local shops. Make sure it has no preservatives or added sugar. Add a mug of very strong black tea to the brew as grape juice from the shops doesn’t have enough tannin.

I brew the wine in 20 litre water containers using very basic kit and it turns out some pretty decent stuff.
A naive, domestic little wine from the south side of the Kampong but we'd be amused at its presumption no doubt.

SWMBO worked out in the UAE for a while.
There were several dodges including Vodka coloured with food dye in mouthwash bottles.
One particularly smart cookie had Vodka and Gin shipped out in bottles labelled variously

ethyl hydrate
ethyl hydroxide
hydroxyethane
methylcarbinol

All of which are names for alcohol.
Having mentioned in the Pussers Rum thread about convincing folk that Bacardi 151 was Coleman fuel we were drinking...
How about keeping Coleman fuel* in a vodka bottle in KSA for if the religious police have a test swig?

*Or Ipecac

Any useful links so I can get

Option 1 doesn't work out for me.

Any useful internet links you can recommend so that I can get Chateau Nasi Goreng up and running?

I am in disgrace with my colleague for buying her a "make your own beer" kit for a joke - apparently now its wasteful if she doesn't make the beer - so that is her bath being used as the only possible container. That is her reasoning anyway.
Hygiene and carbonation are going to be problematic. Your friend should have stuck to meths.

Having mentioned in the Pussers Rum thread about convincing folk that Bacardi 151 was Coleman fuel we were drinking...
How about keeping Coleman fuel* in a vodka bottle in KSA for if the religious police have a test swig?

*Or Ipecac
During one's misspent youth, Bacardi in a plastic meths bottle with a few drops of food colouring was a bit of a party trick. If you haven't smelled meths in the last few minutes, the smell is strong enough to convince you it's really tramp fuel.

If you can access those sealed lids to cap the bottles, it may be a good way to get it in as cleaning fluids along with some kit that looks like it may need regular cleaning.

A mate's dad used to bring whisky into Mozambique in 20 litre containers among the 2 stroke fuel in the RIB he was towing behind the Land Cruiser.

During one's misspent youth, Bacardi in a plastic meths bottle with a few drops of food colouring was a bit of a party trick. If you haven't smelled meths in the last few minutes, the smell is strong enough to convince you it's really tramp fuel.

If you can access those sealed lids to cap the bottles, it may be a good way to get it in as cleaning fluids along with some kit that looks like it may need regular cleaning.

A mate's dad used to bring whisky into Mozambique in 20 litre containers among the 2 stroke fuel in the RIB he was towing behind the Land Cruiser.
I see Sir is an Epicurean.
May I recommend the liqueur, Parfait Amour, for the discerning palate?

None of your ersatz meths substitutes but a genuine digestif for your appreciation.

*Decant before drinking (nto a meths bottle) for the bonafide 'arry Ramp' affectation.

A son gout!

None of your ersatz meths substitutes but a genuine digestif for your appreciation.

*Decant before drinking (nto a meths bottle) for the bonafide 'arry Ramp' affectation.

A son gout!

Any useful links so I can get

Option 1 doesn't work out for me.

Any useful internet links you can recommend so that I can get Chateau Nasi Goreng up and running?
try 100 grams of ginger powder, juice of two lemons, a pound of sugar, a gallon container. sanitize everything. Boil the ginger powder in a couple of pints of water for 5 minutes. add the sugar and lemon juice and stir to dissolve the sugar. Let the mixture cool for an hour or two. Add 4 pints of cold clean water to the gallon container and add the now cooling boiled mixture. Add a cup of very strong black tea. Cover the top of the container. When it's at room temperature add a teaspoon of bakers yeast. fit an airlock to the container, you can improvise with a surgical glove with a pinhole in one of the fingers.

Keep the container in a warm place but not over 27C. When the initial foaming and bubbling dies down a bit - a couple of days, - top up with clean water.

its a bit rough and ready but you can quaff after 7 to 12 days. Or keep it going until it clears around four weeks.

A son gout!
Mais oui! Only thing is parfait amour is slightly off the meths shade and doesn't have the pungency to convince punters who take a smell of your plastic bottle that it's the real thing.

Before decanting the meths into another container for use as a fire lighter or cleaning fluid, stand the meths and Bacardi bottles side by side, then add red and blue food colouring one drop at a time from a syringe to get the exact hue.

A mate took a bottle to a party at the home of an airline pilot mate, plenty of willing hosties about. Silly bugger was stood there propped up against a wall chatting up a group of them (bit of a charmer) and swigging it from the meths bottle sans mixer. I strolled by just as he decided to go for a wazz and stood forward from the wall supporting him. Fell straight forward with his mug between the norks of a particularly buxom bit of loveliness. I hooked him out by his collar and the bastard swore at me, telling me he was fine...

Let go and he pitched straight back between her norks. This time he called for help so I half carried, half dragged him to the bog, let him in and shut the door before wandering off to find another beer.

Went past there five minutes later to see if he was OK, opened the door and found mate on the floor, covered in blood and the bathroom looking like a charnel house. He claimed the wash basin attacked him from behind while he was having a piss and then the floor rose and smote him.

Dragged the silly bugger into the garden, hosed him down and chucked him in the back of my truck to sleep it off before heading back to where the norks were.

Last edited:

Used to brew from the Boots kits in Norn. Due to local pubs occasionally exploding, they were frequently OOB, so SOP was to put out a call when a demijohn was racked, then gather round someone’s pad with a packet of crisps and quaff it. Saved all that tedious bottling malarkey.

*Or Ipecac
A colleague of mine was on expedition in the Yukon, carrying his supply of Calvados in a Sigg bottle. He was rather upset when he discovered someone had connected it to their MSR stove and cooked dinner with it...

Latest Threads