The Nation Rejoices

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
BBC News - Coronavirus: Off-licences added to list of 'essential' retailers

And Brewery take away services, so if you want to stock up with a keg or two fill your boots

FakeSheikh2

Old-Salt
Of course getting drunk at home & wife/husband beating a new national sport for sicko's.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I thought most off licenses went but during the 90s with the advent of booze in supermarkets and majestick wine stores?

Saw a non chav woman in ASDA today get quite upset at not being allowed to buy a dozen red wines , only three items at a time the bloke said . She was adamant that people in the queue gave her permish for more so the bloke said , look drink three and come back in the morning for another three. She did not seem amused.

Also loads of folks stocking up on bells etc and again being narked but not as much as her above when they were cut down to three .

Of course getting drunk at home & wife/husband beating a new national sport for sicko's.
That’s why they are /were banning sales of booze in some areas of France, seems Mr and Mrs don’t get on for lockdown so some chaps started hitting the vino and then hitting the wife.

Went to a close down but now opening Again.

I thought most off licenses went but during the 90s with the advent of booze in supermarkets and majestick wine stores?

Saw a non chav woman in ASDA today get quite upset at not being allowed to buy a dozen red wines , only three items at a time the bloke said . She was adamant that people in the queue gave her permish for more so the bloke said , look drink three and come back in the morning for another three. She did not seem amused.

Also loads of folks stocking up on bells etc and again being narked but not as much as her above when they were cut down to three .
Living in a Muslim country (again) for the last year or so motivated me to start home brewing again. I started with ginger beer, it is very easy and quick and I rapidly moved on to red wine from kits brought in from the UK in hold baggage.

The senior staff here, few that we are, don't want to get pissed every night (I'm tempted), but a couple of glasses of red wine with dinner are a real luxury.

Every time one of us comes back in-country from leave we bring a couple of bottles with us, usually Vodka and after dinner, we have a couple of pegs. We try to make a bottle last.

I feel for the woman who was restricted in her purchasing, but these are difficult times and adjustments must be made.

A couple of years ago I was in a very strict Muslim environment where booze was just not available. By the time I had been there a month I was seriously thinking about drinking the (ethanol-based) hand sanitiser I had been issued with out of sheer boredom with the daily utter fuckwittery we had to deal with.

Mufulira

Old-Salt
Living in a Muslim country (again) for the last year or so motivated me to start home brewing again. I started with ginger beer, it is very easy and quick and I rapidly moved on to red wine from kits brought in from the UK in hold baggage.

The senior staff here, few that we are, don't want to get pissed every night (I'm tempted), but a couple of glasses of red wine with dinner are a real luxury.

Every time one of us comes back in-country from leave we bring a couple of bottles with us, usually Vodka and after dinner, we have a couple of pegs. We try to make a bottle last.

I feel for the woman who was restricted in her purchasing, but these are difficult times and adjustments must be made.

A couple of years ago I was in a very strict Muslim environment where booze was just not available. By the time I had been there a month I was seriously thinking about drinking the (ethanol-based) hand sanitiser I had been issued with out of sheer boredom with the daily utter fuckwittery we had to deal with.
IIRC one of my colleagues in the dusty parts of the old Empire took significant risks in providing us with 1 L bottle of mouthwash ( flavoured Vodka) and never was a word leaked out -- we were trained how to turn this all into urine!

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
In the climate of recent weeks I beat the curve and bought gin while others were panicking buying pasta,,bog roll and paracetamol :)

In the climate of recent weeks I beat the curve and bought gin while others were panicking buying pasta,,bog roll and paracetamol :)
No panic buying of booze in Wales, everyone's sourcing it from England to get round the minimum price laws

So anyone stopped by the police and asked why they are out and about, can say i am going to the off licence to get the 'essentials' and all will be well.
Also they could drop a hint to the police officer, that they might be meeting again a few hours hence at his familys home due to domestic issue, not negatively affected by the booze of course.

I live a stones throw from a country pub with an excellent selection of draught ales , I'm loosing valuable drinking time here.

IIRC one of my colleagues in the dusty parts of the old Empire took significant risks in providing us with 1 L bottle of mouthwash ( flavoured Vodka) and never was a word leaked out -- we were trained how to turn this all into urine!
we are in almost total lockdown now but life goes on. The kitchens are functioning albeit with limited staff. Our Croatian body guards baked an excellent huge loaf of Italian style bread last night and I have enough raw materials to make another 60 litres of red wine. Now, if only we had a block of good strong cheddar life would be almost normal

BBC News - Coronavirus: Off-licences added to list of 'essential' retailers
Though, offies don't necessarily sell just booze. Most of them sell everything from milk to bread to canned goods to TP to snacks to ice creams etc etc - booze is just one part of their business.

Talking to a few friends in London, according to them it's been easier to source stuff from these offies/ corner shops than from regular supermarkets, even if they have had to pay 50p to £1 more.

I think it's fair enough.

We built an Empire being half pissed all the time so alcohol is very much an essential in British life and as much as it pains me to agree, Redshit is correct (friends in London my arse, you're off to your local Offie).

I came into work the other morning to be told that Inspector Thundercunt (who has been foisted on our FOB, presumably so that way he's largely out of the way and cant do any damage) decided to walk amongst the people to offer 'reassurance'. His laser like mind detected the Offie across the road and came to the conclusion that it was not an essential and needed to be closed down.

The Offie in question is where we get our milk, is a good brew spot, sells many assorted foodstuffs and, as the owner doesn't miss a trick and knows folk have long memories, also has arse crack cleaner and other essentials for the end of days. Oh yes its also the only place that you can top up your gas an electric is you need to within a few miles.

Owner suggested that he may like to jog on (we may have already primed that particular pump) and he was told by Comms to stop being silly. He's apparently decided to work from home now on, which saves us having to ignore him in person.

Last edited:

Just before the Channel Tunnel opened, there was a series of programmes about driving from London to New York overland. They were allowed to drive through the third (evacuation) bit of the Tunnel but it all depended upon getting through Siberia by a certain date to get across the Bering Strait to Alaska while it was frozen enough to carry vehicles. They were held up in Siberia because the Arctic wiper fluid (which had a very high proportion of alcohol) ran out because the Russian drivers were drinking it.

we are in almost total lockdown now but life goes on. The kitchens are functioning albeit with limited staff. Our Croatian body guards baked an excellent huge loaf of Italian style bread last night and I have enough raw materials to make another 60 litres of red wine. Now, if only we had a block of good strong cheddar life would be almost normal
Any progress with the book?

Red wine recipes in arduous conditions and photos of your LECs (not the deminers - the other ones ) for the special edition.

Latest Threads