The Naming Standards

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by watertight, Jul 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. You know the names; Gazelle, Lynx, Samaritan, Centurion, Warrior, Challenger, Spartan, Scimitar. How come these pieces of kit get names that are so......."Grrrrrrrrrrrrr I am gonna fckuing get yer"? Who decides it?

Point is the AS90 is called what it is, how come no Grrrrrr name. Suggestions welcome to this and what the SA80 could have been better labelled.........Have I just asked a leading question?

2. Gazelles not exactly 'Grrrrrr'. More like 'mmmince'.

3. I thought the AS90 was known as Braveheart.

4. And 'Lynx' - the name of an aftershave. Hmmm - not exactly Grrrrr either is it, Flash???

5. Ermmm no, not on the CES.

6. the lynx is a big cat get a grip GF

7. Oh Fairy you MOD arrse licker.

8. piece of shit perhaps lol..

9. It's very hard plastic poo though you must admit.

10. Fox? an oversize pest what the "Lar-dee-dahs" like to hunt. Ferret? What a yorkshireman puts down his kecks. Snatch? A ladys fugde. Larkspur? tweety birdy. Wombat? a bat......:)

11. Actually the Aftershave I sometimes use is called GRRRRRR! When I can't get 'Old Sock' or 'BRUTE'

12. I am not 100% sure of the full standards But MBT's names begin with a C this goes back to WW2 and cruiser class of Tank as opposed to light and heavy. The self-propelled Guns were named after the Clergy WW2 variants included the sexton and Priest. The CVRT series Start with a S and used names synonymous with there role i.e Spartan carried inf. Samson recovery Saladin comd Samaritan medic wheeled Recce started with the Dingo replace by the ferret and then Fox.

13. Back in the 1980s, there was a project to develop an Anglo-French MBT. At one particular conference, the Brits and French were all there trying to decide a name for the new beast.
    The Brits were insisting that the new tank should have a name starting with a 'C' to maintain tradition, while the French were insistent on something else (I can't remember now exactly what it was, but I think it was something to do with them wanting a name that matched French military tradition).
    Arguments went round and round until, at last, one of the Brit party, a tad fed up, brought the proceedings to an effective close with: " What about Crecy".

14. It's like when they name warships? Why do the Navy have so many mincy names for warships?

They should be called something more intimidating like:

HMS Do you F*cking want some, do you?

HMS What the Fuck are you looking at?

HMS You're going home in a F*cking Ambulance.

15. biscuits ab

Class!!! bet the navy won't pick up on it though!!