• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

The name "Tankie"

Just lately I have seen quite alot of people saying they want to be tankies only then to say they are not joining 1 or 2 RTR and they going in a cavalry regiment. I was know tankie was a RTR name only or has everyone now decided to say it?

Tom

I always thought that Tankies referred to the RTR, served alongside 1RTR in the 80's and they were always known as Tankies to us.

The US Army caller their tankies- 'Tankers' which sounds a bit wanky to me.

Dooley said:
Just lately I have seen quite alot of people saying they want to be tankies only then to say they are not joining 1 or 2 RTR and they going in a cavalry regiment. I was know tankie was a RTR name only or has everyone now decided to say it?
No idea of what the modern donkey walloper does or says, they're usually so inbred it's hard to understand them.
Traditionally however, Tankies are members of the RTR, the rest are just wannabee who finally realized that, for the most part, the clever part of their regiments converts hay to manure.

Scarletto will be along shortly, once he's finished shovelling ordure down the stables...

Well to add some culture, to PE4s dribbling, i take it Nursey got lost at your Caravan park? :) Tankies are RTR, any Cav or HCR member saying they are Tankies deserve shooting.

Didnt know anyone but 3RTR were known as the Armoured Farmers???

Cheers for clearing this up guys. I thought I was right as my grandad always said he was a tankie nothing else hahaha. I did have a person I know said he is now a fully trained tankie even though he is FR in the Light Dragoons :?. I did'nt know wether to correct him or not at the time so let it be.

An ex Cav friend of mine gets the right hump when I call him a Tankie, despite the fact that he drove a tank. Of course there's absolutely no way I do it to wind him up, ever, no, not me.

Latest Threads