The 'Myth' of welfare scroungers

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by mush_dad, Dec 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Guardian picked this up...............................well 'tickle my tits til' Thursday, who would have thought it!?

2. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

You mean like this comment?

Strange that - the world and his uncle know about the minority of people ripping the piss out of benefits, but the researchers can't find any examples.

Wordsmith

• Like Like x 3
  3. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Mate, if we're four generations in let's not use words like 'minority', eh? Part of the problem is that there's a fair few of 'em... and breeding...

• Like Like x 1
  4. So hearsay & prejudice is more valid that empirical evidence?

I find the first paragraph most telling: rich bankers greed breaks economy; housing market collapses; rich property developers (those same bankers?) buy on the cheap; we pay to put the poor in their houses as tenants (cos there are no council houses); the rich get richer and the poor get blamed as scroungers.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Do the significant number of ARRSEr's who've posted they have direct experience of the 'professionally unemployed' count as empirical evidence or hearsay?

Wordsmith

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yes.......

• Like Like x 1
  7. David Cameron himself said that we are now just starting to get a second generation of people solely dependent on benefits and that something needs to be done to stop it becoming endemic.

Is this case I'd rather believe DC and his sources rather than two professors who ave a narrow scope and who's livelihood depends on writing thesis challenging what is perceived as the norm - could this lead them to making shit up? I suspect their work isn't entirely accurate.

• Like Like x 4
  8. When people's experiences contradict "empirical evidence" , then Yes.

Researchers, by their very nature take snapshots of time with which to work, couple that with an inbuilt tendency to view evidence on the basis of what they already believe, either directly or indirectly, and a need to keep their stream of funding happy..........

• Like Like x 3
  9. Commissioned by the Joseph Rowntree Foundation who work to an agenda and would not want a report that said anything else.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Empirical evidence, is merely the opinion of a 'supposed' expert, it can no more be relied on as the truth, as hearsay. Otherwise there would be no point in entering a 'Not Guilty' plea in Court.

• Like Like x 1
  11. How could they show empirically that something (like this) does not exist? Did they check the whole population of the cities?
    I would suggest the research consisted of asking questions(?) Therefore, effectively, hearsay.
    Then again, why let fact get in the way of a good anti capitalist/government rant?

12. There are a lot of people who post on ARRSE, who leap to the defence of people accused of gaming the tax system. Typical comments are along the lines of, 'Good luck to them', 'Why should people pay more than they have to?' and 'I'd do it myself if I earned that kind of money.'

The flipside of that is that if, after an education by teachers who thought it was morally wrong to teach you literacy and where all they actually wanted you to learn was how great black people and homosexuals are, you are looking at selling your life in a hateful job working for a bunch of ***** who regard you as a worthless drone and would sack you in a heartbeat if it suited them (notwithstanding the constant demands they make for your loyalty), being a dolie would be the obvious choice.

I'd do the same myself if I was them.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ... premature posting