The Myth of Violence

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Canader, Apr 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This one is for all the bleeding heart, tinfoil hat wearers out there:

The Myth of Violence

Steven Pinker charts the decline of violence from Biblical times to the present, and argues that, though it may seem illogical and even obscene, given Iraq and Darfur, we are living in the most peaceful time in our species' existence.

Steven Pinker on the myth of violence | Video on TED.com

2. Er why?

I remember watching this a while back. Seemed to make a lot of sense. Large-scale wars aside, we do live in safer, more peaceful times.

3. The video doesn't work where I am. Can you explain his ideas a bit more? I'm interested in these ideas because I'm tired of having to meet lefties with no other alternative than brute force to hand.
    Using arguments, even when borrowed seems like a novel idea!

4. That's spoiled my illusions about Holland. I thought the liveliest person there was Andre Rieu. Then again, would these lefties happen to be, erm, Brits on holiday?

5. Before the advent of exponential modern communications and travel, the average punter in the UK did not know or give a flying fig about mahem, genocide, famine, war or murder in far flung places unless it was likely impinge or his way of living .............. there's a lesson to be [re]learned somewhere. We cannot cure the world's ills.

6. Stephen Pinker, the American academic who insists that it is wrong to teach correct use of English or indeed any other language, or pretty much to teach it at all. You know sometimes that you just need to know one thing about someone to know all you need to know about them? Prof Pinker maintains a web site from which his admirers may download professionally taken photographs of him in a variety of sizes.

In case you think I'm making this up: Steven Pinker - About - Photographs of Steven Pinker

7. We've got our fair share of treehuggers here. There's even a party in parliament -the Party for Animals- who have no other agenda then animal rights.
    Brits on holiday seem to have no other agenda than their own right to beer and arse in the fine city of Amsterdam. Ever since the RAF left Germany we have very few limeys outside the provinces bordering the North Sea. Nowadays we keep our Brits where we keep our Germans: Drunk and near the beach, so we can drown them after we've taken all their money.

On certain Friday afternoons, when there's a Bank Holliday on your side of the North Sea the National Railways (or what's left of them) sometimes use footbal supporter trains to ferry drunk Englishmen to the Redlight District in Amsterdam! Which is a good idea, it saves us getting barfed on.
    It is also a direct contradiction of what that Canadian professor said about our age being relatively peaceful. He's obviously never met some pissed Brits on an outing :)

Andre Rieu is practically a Belgian, by the way. Look up Hans Teeuwen; he did some shows in English and is a better representation of our appreciation of violence, alcohol and absurdity. You'll like it. Dutch squaddies do, anyway.