The mystery of the recurring "(v)".

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by JSPrest, Nov 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anybody out there clear up this mystery?

We were told long ago in the sands of time that the (v) was to no longer be used (one army concept and all that spin!!!!).

HOWEVER, more and more it is making a comeback. It is now in use by MS on board results, operational postings etc.

My question is ............... to (v) or not to (v). :?:

I would much prefer "(STAB)" because at least thats the true face of the three army concept (Reg, TA and not yet mobilised).
  2. Doesn't really bother me! Although my Battalion doesn't use the (v) come to think of it.
  3. I don't actually think this is necessarily a regulars/reserves issue. I reckon it's more to do with precedence in the reserves - militia came first (peasants with pitchforks), then yeomanry (gentlemen with their own horses) and finally the Victorian volunteer movement which was a response to concerns about Napoleon III invading.

I am sure that the Royal Mons RE will hang on dearly to its militia title (the only one left according to and that our remaining Yeomanry regiments will do likewise.

I'm happy to retain the (v) bit for my own unit as it is part of our link with our past. We still hold the notebook with the minutes of the meeting which resolved to form a volunteer unit.
  4. Fcuk me, sounds like you guys must have a riot on parade nights, reading through old notebooks and talking about Napoleon.
  5. "My question is ............... to (v) or not to (v). :?:

I would much prefer "(STAB)" because at least thats the true face of the three army concept (Reg, TA and not yet mobilised)"

You're obviously an PSG / ARAB looking to start yet another REG vs T.A. thread ! :roll:
  6. As the 'V' stands for Volunteer and the Army does not press gang people into its ranks anymore and the fact that regular soldiers have volunteered to join up, what say people about everyone using (V) or no one at all?
  7. Slow day at the office?

It identifies us as TA. Wear it with pride or sit back, ignore it, and let the apathy wash you over.

Do you really care that much about being tagged with (V).
    I don’t.
  8. I recall an RNR buddy telling me that one reason for their total integration uniform-wise was that it was becoming embarrassing to see just how many posts were being filled by reservists of various hues.
  9. as in no 'Wavey Navy' badges of rank?
  10. msr

msr LE

Yes, they have removed the 'R' from their rank slides.

11. Can't say it matters to me!
  13. There is precious little sign of a (V) in 5 MI Bn as far as the regular staff are concerned.

But then again they do work under the principle that the TA is a great place to work if it wasn't for the troublesome volunteers asking awkward questions and not being able to get to the other side of the country on a work day morning!
  14. Why not use some reverse pyschobable and put (ARAB) after all the regular stuff?
  15. My understanding is the "V" suffix is appended to The Titles/Names of TA units, not individuals. Eg. 9 Supply Regt. RLC (Reg), 166 Supply Regt RLC(V) (TA).