The MSM - Are they scum sucking leeches or beyond reproach?

Are they scum sucking leeches or beyond reproach?

• Scum sucking leeches

• Beyond reproach

Results are only viewable after voting.
1. My point was that there is a mechanism for the 'State' to influence and to a certain extent, control the decisions of Broadcast News and Print Editors.

2. The threats would encompass the discussion of the threats!
So where's the "government controlled media shock" headline?.......or "goverment makes veiled threats to silence media" headline?

Too hard basket?

TamH70

MIA
I hereby invoke Godwin's law.

You're busted.
Mike Godwin's so-called "law" only exists for one ******* reason - the arrogant twat wanted people to talk about Mike Godwin. Friends don't let friends quote Mike Godwin.

Happy to help and all that good stuff.

Agreed - the MSM could learn a lot from their colleagues in other countries about showing proper respect to the leader at all times.

View attachment 476764
That is just another example of press creating news, in that case, propaganda, as if they have any choice in North Korea.

If you think this is in any way comparable to the witch hunt of Dominic Cummings and cant tell the difference then i dont know what to tell you. Go back inside and throw empty beer cans at the tv when you see a Tory i suppose.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Watching BBC breakfast programne this morning and pleasantly surprised. Instead of the end to end anti Cummings/Johnson reporting we actually have a fairly informative programme with bits about a potential new vaccine, going back to school, lack of public loos, and sport. There was also a bit on Cummings.

A correct balance returns and I hope that the Beeb have smelled the coffee and understood the real feelings of the audience who, even if they agree with the call to sack Cummings, feel it has turned into a witch-hunt.

I hope there is not a Witch Hunter General who when he/she comes in to work changes it all back again!

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I hope there is not a Witch Hunter General who when he/she comes in to work changes it all back again!
I gather it is Half Term after all.

the Burleigh wretch on SKY wringing her hands like a champ this morning.

[QUOTE="Micawber, post: 10043982, member: 38965"

When the press savaged Abbott and Vaz y'all lapped it up, couldn't get enough of it,

[/QUOTE]Except that they didn't.

So where's the "government controlled media shock" headline?.......or "goverment makes veiled threats to silence media" headline?

Too hard basket?
Just to be clear, you're suggesting that the Government doesn't exert pressure on the Press to prevent potential breaches of National Security?

Here's a tale of something that never, ever happened in 1989:

A TV journalist working for an independent News broadcaster, happens upon a story involving a senior VIP whilst she is off-duty at a party in Sunningdale. She is shocked by what she has discovered and immediately calls the duty news desk.

The Editor of the Programme when briefed, realises it's a powerful story and that it would be in the public interest to report it. It's the big one.

It's rare (Cliff Richard V BBC, whoops) for the main broadcasters to 'break' major stories for a number of reasons, so the Editor prepares to feed the story to one of their usual channels, whilst ensuring that they are ready to cover the events the moment it hits the streets and before their competitors.

Another journalist (or more correctly, technician) within our Independent News broadcaster happens to have 'an understanding' with a person who works out of a satellite office of a big building on Millbank. The employee is not on the pay roll of HMG but feels obliged for various reasons, to assist the Service where possible. Our technician alerts his contact as to the nature of the new story; At this point for many the weekend stops.

The News Editor receives a strongly worded invitation to tea at an address in Pimlico.

..then promptly calls a meeting, where the story is spiked and the indignant journalist who came up with original story shouted at about expenses. Finally this person is offered a plum position in the Middle East Bureau.

The Programme Editor's 'complex' tax and marital affairs remain untroubled.

Just to be clear, you're suggesting that the Government doesn't exert pressure on the Press to prevent potential breaches of National Security?

Here's a tale of something that never, ever happened in 1989:

A TV journalist working for an independent News broadcaster, happens upon a story involving a senior VIP whilst she is off-duty at a party in Sunningdale. She is shocked by what she has discovered and immediately calls the duty news desk.

The Editor of the Programme when briefed, realises it's a powerful story and that it would be in the public interest to report it. It's the big one.

It's rare (Cliff Richard V BBC, whoops) for the main broadcasters to 'break' major stories for a number of reasons, so the Editor prepares to feed the story to one of their usual channels, whilst ensuring that they are ready to cover the events the moment it hits the streets and before their competitors.

Another journalist (or more correctly, technician) within our Independent News broadcaster happens to have 'an understanding' with a person who works out of a satellite office of a big building on Millbank. The employee is not on the pay roll of HMG but feels obliged for various reasons, to assist the Service where possible. Our technician alerts his contact as to the nature of the new story; At this point for many the weekend stops.

The News Editor receives a strongly worded invitation to tea at an address in Pimlico.

..then promptly calls a meeting, where the story is spiked and the indignant journalist who came up with original story shouted at about expenses. Finally this person is offered a plum position in the Middle East Bureau.

The Programme Editor's 'complex' tax and marital affairs remain untroubled.
Or, to put it another way, the program editor drops story of a lifetime to hide his misdemeanours, private interest trumps the public interest. The associated journo was bribed with a plum posting.

Journalistic ethics anybody?

And, for the avoidance of doubt, when you say:

Is that a statement or question? Either way, the answer is no. I very much doubt those working in the MSM require much if any coercing.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The media are very keen to get the polls out to show that Boris';s popularity is dropping rapidly. I have yet to see, and doubt I will, see a poll showing us how the great unwashed feel about the media. I don't think they will come out of any poll like that, even assuming it is a genuine random poll and not targeted to get the answer they want.

Or, to put it another way, the program editor drops story of a lifetime to hide his misdemeanours, private interest trumps the public interest. The associated journo was bribed with a plum posting.

Journalistic ethics anybody?

Without wanting to give too much away the Editor wasn't initially aware of the serious repercussions that may have resulted if he had proceeded. I suspect these were suggested to him. At the time the tech didn't know the full story either but knew enough to consider that it may be something that would ruffle feathers and in a bad way.

The associated journo was not told the full facts and would probably would have rather seen the story break.

I very much doubt those working in the MSM require much if any coercing.
Pressure was put on the editors of the papers that broke the following political stories - you may have heard of them:

Profumo
MP's expenses
Cecil Parkinson and Sara Keays, 1983
Arms to Iraq,
Cherie Blair and the con man,
Polly Peck, Mates Nadir
Oaten and the rent boys
Vaz and the rent Boys
Ron Davies and the rent boys
Archer
Mandelson and the passport
etc. etc etc.

Profumo
MP's expenses
Cecil Parkinson and Sara Keays, 1983
Arms to Iraq,
Cherie Blair and the con man,
Polly Peck, Mates Nadir
Oaten and the rent boys
Vaz and the rent Boys
Ron Davies and the rent boys
Archer
Mandelson and the passport
etc. etc etc.
Me sir? no sir. It was that big boy over there sir, Jeffrey sir

Me sir? no sir. It was that big boy over there sir, Jeffrey sir
You'll have to do better than that so we need to fire some questions. In the garden with you..

The media are very keen to get the polls out to show that Boris';s popularity is dropping rapidly. I have yet to see, and doubt I will, see a poll showing us how the great unwashed feel about the media. I don't think they will come out of any poll like that, even assuming it is a genuine random poll and not targeted to get the answer they want.
A headline in one of the papers yesterday stated that "the whole country is outraged" about Dominic Cummings.
At least 90% wont give a toss about what he gets up to.

Mattb

LE

They're neither.

"Mainstream media" is term rather like "peer-reviewed research" or "well-cited article" - it's generally the best we have available, but that doesn't make it infallible.

Always be very wary of anyone who uses the term "MSM" though - generally they're people either with extreme views or the sort of see conspiracies everywhere (or more likely both).

Always be very wary of anyone who uses the term "MSM" though - generally they're people either with extreme views or the sort of see conspiracies everywhere (or more likely both).
Very good observation there.

A headline in one of the papers yesterday stated that "the whole country is outraged" about Dominic Cummings.
At least 90% wont give a toss about what he gets up to.
Just I was thinking the same thing this morning watching the latest hysterical outpourings...

I dare say as well that there are a lot of people who won't even know who Cummings is or why they are supposed to be outraged.

The media seems to be of the opinion that we are all agog at what they present as news. I have some news for them... we are not.

I don't know about the "Westminster bubble", but the media seem to live in a bubble even more divorced from reality...

Last edited:
I'm afraid that I have probably recently slipped into using the term, and I am someone who believes that the media at whom it is directed are very much a mixed assortment; good, bad and indifferent. It is a convenient and lazy abbreviation.

But you are right, it is generally a contemptuous epithet used by the paranoid, conspiracists and the kind of inarticulate people who are more at home playing with mong buttons.

There is certainly a lot of noise going on but it only seems to be same amount of noise from the same people that was going on in the weeks preceding the last general election, which the Leftwaffe (my new favourite word along with Presstapo) were convinced they were going to win by a landslide. Whilst I'm sure it has damaged the government and will undoubtedly be pulled out at the next election, I doubt its terminal.

Latest Threads