The MSM - Are they scum sucking leeches or beyond reproach?

Are they scum sucking leeches or beyond reproach?

• Scum sucking leeches

• Beyond reproach

Results are only viewable after voting.
News broadcasters seem to be incredibly lacking in self-awareness. There was a comedy parody of the genre many years ago called 'The Day Today' co-written, I think, by Armando Iannucci and Chris Morris. It was nonsensical and yet brutally accurate at the same time. The intense presenters, the swirling computer graphics and important music and all the other bits of business.

Apparently it was cult viewing within the industry, but they must have seen it as an homage rather than a piss-take because, presentationally, nothing much seems to have changed in the intervening 20+ years. If anything, it seems even more over the top.
The execs at Sky News regarded 'The Day Today' in the same way that BBC managers regard W1A: as an observational documentary. The irony floating gently over their heads

I suspect that in BoJo’s office draw is a notepad with a short list of names on it for the Reckoning post Covid. Public Health England will be top with the BBC second. I think that every time the PM interacts with the Beeb he gets that smug feeling of “You have no idea what’s coming in a few months, suckers”

I suspect that in BoJo’s office draw is a notepad with a short list of names on it for the Reckoning post Covid. Public Health England will be top with the BBC second. I think that every time the PM interacts with the Beeb he gets that smug feeling of “You have no idea what’s coming in a few months, suckers”
He'll first have to get through the inevitable post-Covid enquiry reasonably unscathed before he would be in any position to consider chucking his weight around or putting heads on spikes.

The execs at Sky News regarded 'The Day Today' in the same way that BBC managers regard W1A: as an observational documentary. The irony floating gently over their heads
My neighbour who works for you lot made pretty much the same observation about the W1A 'Zoom' short. His view was why waste money on making it, just air one of our actual zoom calls, they are exactly the same.

My neighbour who works for you lot made pretty much the same observation about the W1A 'Zoom' short. His view was why waste money on making it, just air one of our actual zoom calls, they are exactly the same.
I don't have 'a lot' as I'm not a BBC employee however I totally agree with your neighbour's point.

He'll first have to get through the inevitable post-Covid enquiry reasonably unscathed before he would be in any position to consider chucking his weight around or putting heads on spikes.
Given that any "Post-Covid enquiry", is sadly likely to be a combination of media screeching, and fault finding, and politicians 'politicking' rather than a proper forensic analysis of the broad issues and where it went wrong Vs. Where it worked. Also there will have to be a guilty party or individual that the media can rail against regardless of facts, because as we know hindsight.

Also the fact that this medical event has not been faced to a western country at such a scale, within most people life time. At no time in the western worlds past has there been levels of accessible and fast global travel with little or no health controls.

That the reality is such that this time 'the human race' have been lucky more than skilled. But I doubt that a cool headed enquiry and wider discussion, will make "profitable copy, be it print or clickbait".

The bottom line is that that the only government that could have influenced, outcomes was and is China, and they wont listen or care what the west thinks.

edit spelling

Last edited:
*In quotes because it would seem that no matter what is said, such as by Cummings today, it is then spun regardless. The set of Kuenssberg's face as she questioned him today tells you all you need to know about her impartiality, or lack of it, and her questioning later of Johnson was peppered with words implying that Cummings was being less than truthful.
This.

It's her job to report on what is happening. Thats all. it is not her job to attack the people she is asking questions of, it is not her job to call people liars, nor is it her job to hold the government to account. All she has to do is report the news not make the news.

3ToedSloth

Old-Salt
This.

It's her job to report on what is happening. Thats all. it is not her job to attack the people she is asking questions of, it is not her job to call people liars, nor is it her job to hold the government to account. All she has to do is report the news not make the news.
Agreed - the MSM could learn a lot from their colleagues in other countries about showing proper respect to the leader at all times.

1590509375117.png

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
News broadcasters seem to be incredibly lacking in self-awareness. There was a comedy parody of the genre many years ago called 'The Day Today' co-written, I think, by Armando Iannucci and Chris Morris. It was nonsensical and yet brutally accurate at the same time. The intense presenters, the swirling computer graphics and important music and all the other bits of business.

Apparently it was cult viewing within the industry, but they must have seen it as an homage rather than a piss-take because, presentationally, nothing much seems to have changed in the intervening 20+ years. If anything, it seems even more over the top.
Chris Morris was interviewed some years later. To paraphrase, he said that they went for the most ridiculous, sensationalist sets/graphics as well as the obscenely confrontational style of the newscasters.

At the point he was interviewed, he observed that the then-current news broadcasts had become the parody that the The Day Today team barely thought they'd get away with.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Reading some of the posts above, you'd think that the media were required to take some form of Hippocratic oath to never tell a lie. Ultimately, the news is a product/service that we are being sold. So if you think Peston is a cünt then do all you can to convince others to get his viewing figures down to zero and he'll disappear pretty quickly.

I presume that there is some key performance indicator that teams (and individual members of each team) need to maximise so that they keep their job/get salary increase or promotion and it's got nothing to do with shining the beacon of light into the dark recesses of corruption. I don't think any of these people are intrinsically evil as it's individuals trying to make the best living they can for themselves and their families - people sacrifice their morals and ethics in every industry.

The public gets the media they deserve.
Yes, but a problem is that a lot of people tune into feed their outrage/confirmation biases. That's not news, then. It's spectacle.

It'll hold its ratings precisely because of that; anyone still prepared to call it news is deluding him/herself, however.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The same with 2012; a former colleague's wife was part of the team which worked on the London Olympics. He once said to that it wasn't comedy, nor even a good documentary, but pretty much a fly-on-the-wall broadcast.

Iannucci et al do little more than hold up a mirror to their bosses, who are so precious that they can't see what's going on.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I've said several times, in several places, that any enquiry should be of the level of a Royal Commission. A central part of its remit should be the conduct of the media.

3ToedSloth

Old-Salt
Yes, but a problem is that a lot of people tune into feed their outrage/confirmation biases. That's not news, then. It's spectacle.

It'll hold its ratings precisely because of that; anyone still prepared to call it news is deluding him/herself, however.
Agreed.

Dominic Cummings is such a divisive figure so it's no surprise the MSM jumped onto this. Everybody hates him or loves him and if you've never heard of him, then he looks a bit like a goblin from lord of the rings so you can still form an opinion. The truth is that few people really have an insight into who or what he is.

Many of the posters above would be rolling on the floor with glee if this was about Diane Abbott. But if you really want good fair journalism, then you have to start rejecting any such spectacles (and especially when it suits your own personal narrative).

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Agreed.

Dominic Cummings is such a divisive figure so it's no surprise the MSM jumped onto this. Everybody hates him or loves him and if you've never heard of him, then he looks a bit like a goblin from lord of the rings so you can still form an opinion. The truth is that few people really have an insight into who or what he is.

Many of the posters above would be rolling on the floor with glee if this was about Diane Abbott. But if you really want good fair journalism, then you have to start rejecting any such spectacles (and especially when it suits your own personal narrative).
Abbott, despite her constant bleating about the unrelenting attacks she has to endure, would never have been chased in the same way that Cummings has been.

Start with the issue of her son as an example - "not in the public interest".

Guardian & Mirror contributor threatens Gove

Capture.PNG

TamH70

MIA

Latest Threads