The most professional, Down to business infantry regiment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im stuck between the infantry regiments, ive done lots of research but cant find one that have no ceremonial duties and are really professional, im thinking paras but they are renown for there 24/7 foolishness which is not my cuppa tea. Any suggestions ??? :? Thank you all in advance !!

A Very good family friend of mine always reccomends me to Join the Paras

Hes been serving in 2 para for 11 years

I had the same interests as you

Best regiment, not too much ceremonial duties

Although I wouldnt mind them too much, all comes under the job so i'll be happy to do it :D

Warrior-Webbing said:
Have a look at The Rifles - Lots of different locations to go, different jobs, different roles. http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regiments/3469.aspx
I was going to suggest The Rifles too. Having looked around the army jobs site for a while, and considered all my options, The Rifles do come across as a no nonsense group of people (but what do I know?? lol)

Good luck SneakyTeen, I hope everything goes well for you, whoever you decide to join.

SneakyTeen said:
Thanks for the help DirtySanchez, i was considering the rifles aswell but it sounds like they have creemonial duties, do they ??
What is it you have against ceremonial duties?

Sorry if that sounded a bit blunt, dunno how to phrase it other than that :p

I'm the same. Would love to join as a real soldier but dont really want to do the guarding thing at Buckingham palace. The rifles does look exciting though

SneakyTeen said:
Thanks for the help DirtySanchez, i was considering the rifles aswell but it sounds like they have creemonial duties, do they ??
To be honest, I'm not sure. I've had a scout around the website, but the infantry isn't my chosen career, so I didn't pay too much attention :)

I'd like to point out that I'm not in yet, but I'd have thought that what you see of ceremonial duties on TV etc is just the tip of the iceburg.

I'm sure that someone much more experienced than me will be along shortly though.

Im pretty sure the rifles and such infantry regiments wont be guarding buckingham palace, but they wil have a share of ceremonial duties at parades and such like. I think the regiments liek Coldstream guards and household cavalry are specified to jobs like the Palace.

I looked at the marines but the Army seemed to be a better package with stuff like postings. My uncle was in the Army as well and dint have much nice to say about the marines but the stuf I have seen on the tele they seem to be quite good although there cadets are pretty crap .

from the army personell ive met and the marines ive met

IN MY OPINION

the marines i met were narrow-minded meatheads who had no time for anyone who wasnt in the marines and thought of themselves as Gods

The army however seemed to be a chilled out bunch, who had a bit of friendly regimental rivalry, but could see everyone needs each other to function as an Army

:D

If this is not a WAH then go to the Careers office, all of you. They will be able to teach you about various Regiments and Battalions and what their various roles are, The Grenadier Guards for example have a ceremonial company in Wellington Barracks London, but they also do their main job as Infantry soldiers based in Aldershot, they did a tour of the afghanistan last year. but most Infantry Battalions do a stint at Public Duties anyway.

Also the Household Cavalry are NOT Infantry.

Crack On

As has been said, unless you join the Guards, ceremonial duties isn't going to be a regular thing. In fact, the Rifles ethos is about as un-ceremonial as you can get - the battalions tend to be pretty bullshit-free (in the green jacket tradition anyway, the LI we're always a bit 'shiny').

If you want a career in the infantry, the Rifles is an excellent choice since it's a big regiment with more roles to choose from and more opportunities for ops than some of the smaller units. 1 Rifles has the commando role, if that floats your boat. Other bns have light infantry, armoured and mech roles. Over the course of a career, that means a wider experience and more options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads