The most nausiating aspects of Civvy Street

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by Iolis, Jun 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Returning to civil life after a full career is a traumatic experience for some. Here are some of the things I found most difficult to adapt to:

1, How the most untalented and inadequate will seek to advance themselves by propelling trivia into the rarefied stratosphere of importance. The level of his or her inadequacy measurable by the degree of trivia to which he seeks to attach an importance.

2, Being reminded of the demonstrably obvious fact that 'your not in the Army now mate' by a semi-literate 'jobsworth' who has just given you the best impression yet of a jumped up little tin God normally endured by those undergoing basis training.

3, Encountering more screaming Corporals and RSM's occupying 'non-jobs' than you ever encountered in the Military.

Anyone had similar experiences?

Regards and best wishes

2. Iolis, I have a very good story regarding point number 2. Gather round now.......My mates old man, we'll call him 'Bob' Ex Infantry and spent 6 years in the signal wing, left as platoon Sergeant, gets a thurs/fri/sat evening job at a cinema doing 'security' basically ejecting little brats and drunkards etc, you know the craic. Easy money, little to no trouble, cushy number. After being in the job for a couple of weeks the shift pattern changes and he meets the new weekend manager. A 20 year old smarmy, grinning tw*t, who truly believes that he is 'the man'. After enduring a week or so of 'Rambo'/army jokes, my mates old man tips up for work as usual, the tw*t is there. 'Bob' checks his radio and it starts to squak and whistle, manager steams down the stairs and starts screeching "what the f*ck are you doing....." etc. To which 'bob' replies, "its always a good idea to do a quick radio check on your equipment, I used quite a bit of this stuff in my time" To which the little wan*er of a manager replied....you guessed it. "Your not in the Army now, are you 'Bob'"!! That was the straw that crushed the camels back, manager is launched into the rather large assortment of Pick 'n' Mix and there endeth 'Bob's' employment with the company. A truly nice bloke but could never and has never been able to adapt back to civilian life.

3. Sound pretty justifed to me, any Im a f**king civvy!

4. The perception of the Military by Civilians who have had no contact with us, is that we all run about in Battle Dress and Ammo Boots shouting and
    screaming at each other. Just look at any Sun/Express/Mail cartoon.
    The media have a lot to answer for!

5. Constantly having to watch what you say.

Thought police everywhere

6. Here are some of the things I found most difficult to adapt to:

1. Getting out of the car and stamping both feet down as if I'm still wearing boots and elastics :D

2. Not being able to march up the corridor any more :x

7. My husband spent nine years in the Royal Marines when his service ended he thought every one was a civilian except him 30+ years on he is still of the same opinion.And the shoes still get polished thoroughly.

8. I loved my 7 years in the ambulance service (after 7 years regs) and hated the "civvies" so much I'm back in.... LOL

9. You're a soldier for life, it's just the uniform that changes.

10. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Having to listen to the cnut's griping on about how hard done by they are,How they can just about live on the money they get off the state & the ultimat civvie w***er.......
    CHAVS!!!

11. Fishfinger wrote:

"You're a soldier for life, it's just the uniform that changes"

A most astute and accurate observation my friend - in civil life, the uniform is known as a 'Dress Code'

12. I have to second that. I still do the stamping thingy when I stand up or exit a car.
    I've now managed to rid myself of the habit of buckling my belt over my hip, like a stable-belt. :D

Civvies can sometimes be nauseating, true. And a lot of them don't understand that squaddies quickly develop a very sensitive büllshit-detector, since you can't fool your mates for long in the British Army. They're then highly surprised when you tell them they're talking bollix!

MsG

13. a sh*t day in the army is a sh*t day with mates. A good day in civvy strasse doesn't even come close to being as good as a sh*t day in the army.

commuting.

realising most civvies think integrity is something by calvin klein

having handled, instructed, planned and conducted live fire exercises, then having to be given hse inductions for sitting in a chair and using an effing keyboard

50% of excuses to the long haired general automatically defunct

14. Well, I can tell you this! 30 odd years ago I left the colours and it was the biggest mistake of my life! However, I can tell those of you who are also about to leave, one thing is quite certain. You will stay in contact with your muckers! You will turn to ARRSE and others and grab at most things military! Why? Once a soldier, always a soldier and yep, my shoe,s are polished, I still stamp my feet when getting out the car and I,ve turned into a grumpy ol man. Just like most of us lot! Keep the faith comrades! :wink: