Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The most modern and effective bolt action service rifle ever?

Your favourite bolt action service rifle and please explain why

• Total voters
The Japanese certainly ended up with a better design, I'm not sure why they decided like the Italians that 6.5 was poop, oddly enough the Scandinavians stuck with it, the Portugese abandoned it (well tried to but it was still on issue in the 1960's) and the Italians well we cant take them seriously, apart from their pistols everything else seemed poop. The Russians dallied with it in 1916 for the first selective fire service rifle (stand still the Mexicans, no one actually bought any numbers of the Mondragon) but again it got nowhere and the Soviets reverted to arming peasants with pointy sticks of varying length!

Although the Carcano rifle does get a reasonably positive review in this

And so does this sub machine gun

I have just watched on YouTube a fascinating 30 minutes of a chap opening the ultimate Christmas present.

Lee Enfield No4 MK2 Unboxing by Robert Houston.

A 1955 Fazakerly model, all wrapped up and mummified for 73 years.
Takes it through unwrapping, cleaning and first rounds through it since initial factory zeroing .

( Apologies for not putting in direct link, don't know how to on this phone thing. )

I have just watched on YouTube a fascinating 30 minutes of a chap opening the ultimate Christmas present.

Lee Enfield No4 MK2 Unboxing by Robert Houston.

A 1955 Fazakerly model, all wrapped up and mummified for 73 years.
Takes it through unwrapping, cleaning and first rounds through it since initial factory zeroing .

( Apologies for not putting in direct link, don't know how to on this phone thing. )
This one?

Although the Carcano rifle does get a reasonably positive review in this
A eifle of its time and as I said in the better 6.5Carcano, note the Italians 6.5 bullets are a different diameter to anyone elses, a bit like their cars I suppose. Mussolini for all his efforts in making the trains run on time managed to cock up by taking Italy into the war halfway through re equipping with the new 7.35 mm round.
The original cartridge was more than adequate.

A eifle of its time and as I said in the better 6.5Carcano, note the Italians 6.5 bullets are a different diameter to anyone elses, a bit like their cars I suppose. Mussolini for all his efforts in making the trains run on time managed to cock up by taking Italy into the war halfway through re equipping with the new 7.35 mm round.
The original cartridge was more than adequate.
I hope no Italians read that. They're always looking for a scapegoat for losing. Apparently 'not very good at warfare' isn't acceptable.

A personal favourite is my No1 Mk 111*. It's not original though, it had a FTR in 1953, but it's pristine and shoots far beyond my capabilities. The Steyr Mannlicher 1904 is another favourite, but due to nostalgia more than anything else: there were two of them in our house when I was young.

I did notice that the poll does not include the M1903 Springfield (1906) rifle. Excellent weapon.
A copy of the Mauser, and expensive to produce. Not a great or modern rifle, The US knew this and went in pursuit of a self loader asap!

Your title says "The most modern and effective bolt action service rifle ever."
Your survey asks for "Your favourite bolt action service rifle."

For the survey, you have duplicated most answers while leaving many countries off the list. The Gewehr 98 and Karabiner 98a should probably be there as there will be some familiarity to many (would get votes from me). I own a few Mausers, as well as several Lee-Enfields, and Remington-Lees, and the M1903 Springfield. Obviously they all get my vote.

As far as the most effective bolt action service rifle ever, that title has to go to one adapted for the Japanese, by the Italians, that really wasn't that modern, practical, accurate, or even reliable, but was employed effectively against the highest level target ever. Built in 1940 in the Terni Arsenal, chambered for 6.5x52, was an ugly, short, bolt action rifle with the serial number C2766.

A simple Carcano M91/38.