The most modern and effective bolt action service rifle ever?

Your favourite bolt action service rifle and please explain why

• Mas Mlle 1936

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Madsen M47

• M43 Spanish Mauser

• M43 Spanish Mauser

• M1944 (Russian)

• Total voters

ugly

LE
Lots lasted up until the 1980, but cheap eastern bloc aid put sks and aks in everyone's hands.
I Googled it, in case someone else had asked, and came across a Danish naval unit named the 'Sirius Patrol'. It is responsible for patrolling and enforcing Danish control of Arctic Greenland. Patrol members carry the M1917 Enfield, chambered in 30-06, as well as 10mm Glock 20s. I was surprised that a WW1 era rifle is in service with a modern military, albeit in a limited and unique role.

Wiki notes:

"Denmark's Arctic Assets and Canada's Response – Sovereignty and Strategic Resources of the High Arctic". Canadian American Strategic Review. May 2005. Archived from the original on 2008-09-20. The advantage of an 'old fashion' bolt-action rifle in the high arctic is obvious—no matter how cold or icy it gets, that bolt can be worked by the shooter. Under severe arctic winter conditions, the bolts of automatic rifles may jam. The use of 'full-sized' cartridges was dictated by two factors: range and effectiveness against polar bears. Most Danish units use 9mm automatics like the CF but the Sirius Patrol learned through hard experience that 9mms had insufficient 'stopping power' to deal with angry adult polar bears. As a result, Sirius Patrol members carry more powerful 10mm pistols for self-defence, employing the 10mm Glock 20 automatic.

The Sirius Patrol uses the standard .30-06 168-grain military rifle round and also civilian hollow-points. The patrolmen feel that the full metal jacket bullet on the military round is best against polar bears at long range, but that the hollow-points are better against an enraged musk ox. Typically, the patrolmen arrange their stripper clips so every third round is a hollow-point.

1524598018632.png

1524598221567.png

Like a lot of folks here, it has to be the Lee-Enfield No.4 Mk2 for me. Ten round magazine, nice long sight radius, and a round that was pretty effective across its range limits.

@ugly -

I did not vote as the choices did not include the M1903 Springfield.
I actually used one when a ROTC member. The next year ROTC switched to M1
I could have said I'm not voting because the Whitworth rifle isn't included...
I haven't fired one or anything, but researching about it on the web has made a great impression on me. As an admirer of the late, great Sir Joseph Whitworth and his achievements. I'm not surprised that his rifle was of such high manufacturing standards and quality.

I haven't fired one or anything, but researching about it on the web has made a great impression on me. As an admirer of the late, great Sir Joseph Whitworth and his achievements. I'm not surprised that his rifle was of such high manufacturing standards and quality.
Is it bolt action ? :rolleyes:

ugly

LE
Unfortunately he didn't make any bolt action rifles that made it into service

ugly

LE
Most Whitworth rifles were muzzleloaders or falling block

My favourite pom.

Enfield, its the best quickest action, quickest with the stripper clips, simplest jam free construction.

make mine a Jungle Carbine ty.......

I have been after a 36 for some time, but they seem to have disappeared off the UK markers of late.. There is one with a grenade launcher barrel tooling about, but seems a bit pricey.. (although I fancy a play with Energas again!)

I will have another poke about depending on the outcome of my Herman the German bids...!

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I voted, but missed the bit which required me to say why. therefore:

I voted for the Lee Enfield No4 Mk2 because it gave one a damn good jolt on the shoulder to remind you that it was British and proud to be so. Just as impressively, the bullet joined in the spirit of the thing and reminded the target that the Lee Enfield No4 Mk2 was British. I never had cause to use the beautifully crafted brass-faced butt but I'm certain that it would have loosened the teeth of even the toughest badmash and brought him to order ek dum.

I've got no idea what the other garbage on the ballot sheet is but it looked foreign to me.

Now we've settled that, about puttees...

my grandfather said that while they were in Archangel he and the lads were issued temporarily with the "long-rifle" as he called it (moisin nagant /mauser ?? which they preferred over the enfield.

Has it been mentioned yet that the "report" (the bangy noise) of the mosin is ******* ludicrous, I can only surmise that the round is twice the charge.

they could have stayed with all of their war reparation Mausers but frankly they knew they were shit and the MAS 36 was an intermediate step to get the cartridge into general service.
National pride also plays a part. France would be loathe to use the Boche boom stick. Whereas Italy was happy to use Austrian M95's and anything else it could use

my grandfather said that while they were in Archangel he and the lads were issued temporarily with the "long-rifle" as he called it (moisin nagant /mauser ?? which they preferred over the enfield.
You see, I cannot possibly believe stories like that. Since the Mosin long rifles are long, heavy, need the bayonet to be kept fixed, are slow, and have atrocious extraction.

The WW1 Mosins have literally not one single redeeming feature over an Enfield (SMLE or CLLE), a Mauser 98 or practically anything else.

ugly

LE
National pride also plays a part. France would be loathe to use the Boche boom stick. Whereas Italy was happy to use Austrian M95's and anything else it could use
You may be surprised by what the French used, panther tanks were amongst many later items. The French used captured weapons for second line troops provided they secured ammo supplies, the reason the m1929 cartridge is 54mm long in the case is to stop troops mixing it with 8mm Mauser ammo

ugly

LE
The WW1 Mosins have literally not one single redeeming feature over an Enfield (SMLE or CLLE), a Mauser 98 or practically anything else.
I often wonder at the cousins fascination with collecting them. Mental illness perhaps

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mr Happy The Book Club 21
gallowglass Infantry 63
C The NAAFI Bar 7