The most fun with your pants still fastened....?

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Furryturd, Jul 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This afternoon I had the pleasure of watching, in swift succession, two Spitfires and a Vulcan at Farnborough.

Merlin, Griffon and 4 Olympus all heard in 1/2 an hour.

Most excellent. Beat that.

2. Hurrrummph!! I had tickets for RIAT... looking forward to seeing the Vulcan again

3. Lucky you. That can't be beaten and you know it!

www.spitcrazy.com

4. Bugger, so The Stifire with D Day stripes, that flew over my back garden yesterday is a no contest then!

Stilts

5. One of the joys of living in Kent, Spitfires and Huricanes flying around all summer long. No Vulcan yet though.

6. Saw a Hunter at Wallop on Saturday - still looking good IMHO

7. Spitfire tooling around near Kingsbury yesterday. Afternoon soundtrack of Merlin engine accompanied with 303 rifle fire. Winner!

8. "Most Fun"?

Last Wednesday at Wyton... I was with my group of ATC lads/lasses (I'm a civvie helper with the local Sqn) when they asked me if I wanted to have a go in a Grob Tutor.

The driver (Very Nice man) asked if I'd ever taken control before, I told him that I had about a hundred hours on the Grob but I'd never sat in one... He looked at me as though I was a loon and then said "Ahhhhhhhh Flight Sim!"

I then got about 30 mins of flying with me at the stick. I don't care if you think that's small stuff and I've no doubt that there's a great many hugely experienced aviators on this forum, but for me that was the one of the best experiences I've EVER had.

I was still smiling the next day! Thanks TC, you're a diamond!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

9. In fact, the most fun to be had with your pants still fastened is...

Arriving at Campsite on the live side of Fairford. Pitch up tents whilst watching the Turks, French, Italians, Reds and Swiss jet display teams practice around 500 feet over your head. Then watch a B1-B take off, steep turn around both ends of the airfield and zoom off. Enjoy the rest of the evening watching numerous aircraft land, with a BBQ and several beers to help the evening along. Wake up on Saturday morning to the news RIAT's been cancelled. Whack on a growbag (I'm in my University Air Squadron, and it was a Squadron Trip), stroll down to the Airfield, flash a 1250 at the corporals on the gates and have a look round. There was hardly anyone present, and since my Squadron have got contacts with most of the RAF squadrons, we all managed to get properly up close. Then, have lunch at the american imported burger bar, have a glass of champagne in the Brietling area, then go to the German Stallion helicoptor, which arrived with a hold full of beer and Jaegermeister. The rest of the weekend, is sort of a blur. Now that's the way to enjoy RIAT!

Dunc

P.S. To keep it related to Spitfires, we also saw a Typhoon getting dangerously close to stall speed as it tail chased a Spitfire. Now that was feckin' awesome.