The Moskva sinking

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
For those far too busy to try and keep up with the Ukraine thread, it seems I may have to adjust the title of the thread:

Just in time for Putain's Big Day Out in Red Square....shame.

Ship profile reminds me of Type 23's....the difference being this vessel was commissioned in 2017 and we stopped building Type 23's in 2000.

Admiral Makarov displaced 3,620 tonnes - be a bit more right now on account of the firefighting water being used onboard.

Russian designation Krivak IV

Admiral Grigorovich-class frigate - Wikipedia

Indian Navy will be watching with interest - they are in the process of acquiring three.

For those far too busy to try and keep up with the Ukraine thread, it seems I may have to adjust the title of the thread:

Just in time for Putain's Big Day Out in Red Square....shame.

Ship profile reminds me of Type 23's....the difference being this vessel was commissioned in 2017 and we stopped building Type 23's in 2000.

Admiral Makarov displaced 3,620 tonnes - be a bit more right now on account of the firefighting water being used onboard.

Russian designation Krivak IV

Admiral Grigorovich-class frigate - Wikipedia

Indian Navy will be watching with interest - they are in the process of acquiring three.

My bold - very superficial resemblance. That she doesn't have the very boxy profile of Type 45 is simply that the Russians haven't gone all-in on stealth design.

Doesn't really help either way when a missile rocks up to "kill any radar signature in this area", which is probably safe to do for Ukraine's littoral ATM.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
FWIW,

Note: unverified as at 061700A May 22

UPDATE: 071400A May 22. Still unverified, Pentagon says ' we have been watching this all day' .

The RN could say for sure, presumably all hands are waiting for May 9th......

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Anne Applebaum reminded bystanders to display caution re ANY media output re Ukraine War -this Twitter update suggests that the Admiral Makarov is now alongside in Sevastopol.

Battered - but afloat ?

Augustus

War Hero
Anne Applebaum reminded bystanders to display caution re ANY media output re Ukraine War -this Twitter update suggests that the Admiral Makarov is now alongside in Sevastopol.

Battered - but afloat ?

Babcockski will be rubbing their hands with glee at the imminent repair bill…

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
yep......I doubt she'll be putting to sea anytime soon.

Last edited:

Mattb

LE
Right - but the vast majority of these are "sunk under tow" (and one is a deliberate scuttling!). It probably says something about Russian damage control that they've had to tow home more boats after major fires on board, but these are still not big numbers. There are only three sunk-by-catastrophe on that list and that puts them not far from the Yanks.

We also don't know about our near misses or the Americans'.
It's also worth bearing in mind that the USSR built more nuke boats than all the other countries put together, and so by all rights should have most of the accidents.

Latest Threads