Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Morality of Visiting North Korea

From what I gather, yes and no.

The have lots of doctors per head of population (because it's a good propaganda "bullet" to say we have more docs/people than a neighbouring country).

The docs themselves are intelligent people and well trained, but possibly having studied a slightly old fashioned curriculum in their training (See my next point).

If you get cancer the docs will enthusiastically chop it out. This is because it's all they can do. From what I've heard, none of the chemotherapy drugs (e.g Paclitaxel, cis-Platin) that would be the "go to" next weapon in fighting off a case of cancer in a free-economy are available in the Cuban state medical system. This is why medical training in Cuba is biased towards fighting illness with what they do have (surgery), rather than they don't (learning the dosage calculation on advanced drugs they can't get.) Sadly it's stepping back to 1960s cure-rates.

Kinda a bummer when a big slice of the economy is based on cigar making, and rolling tobacco leaves on the thighs apparently gives rise to a distinctive vulva cancer.

Apparently it's not just advanced flange cancer drugs that are in short supply, but stuff we take for granted in the West like over the counter mild analgesics (paracetamol, tylenol, aspirin etc). Plenty of doctors, but no basic pharma for them to prescribe.

B

bokkatankie

I did dwell on the idea of going there for a couple of years, but in the end came to the unconsious decision not to. I couldn't really put my finger on why not at the time, but I think it was probably a combination of:

• The mawkishness (or perhaps schadenfreude) of seeing people living a pitiful existence.
  • Being used as a proaganda tool
  • Providing money to a despicable regime
  • What I gather is criminally bad food

I think that you should, also, based on your list, avoid Wales

B

bokkatankie

Trip advisor reviews don't make fun reading.

Given that all Trip Advisor reviews are written by the type of **** that occupies the seat next to you on a plane and then insists upon telling you about his holiday in hell, I tend not to read them, heard it all before and is is still shit written by the same ****.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Given that all Trip Advisor reviews are written by the type of **** that occupies the seat next to you on a plane and then insists upon telling you about his holiday in hell, I tend not to read them, heard it all before and is is still shit written by the same ****.

Well you can tend to tell which are whiners.

B

bokkatankie

Apparently it's not just advanced flange cancer drugs that are in short supply, but stuff we take for granted in the West like over the counter mild analgesics (paracetamol, tylenol, aspirin etc). Plenty of doctors, but no basic pharma for them to prescribe.

Probably a healthy nation then who are not hooked on pain killers!

Latest Threads