The Moral Case for the British Empire, Prager University

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by OCdt_Firestarter, Nov 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was sent a link to a video about the British Empire. I imagine the contents won't be new to most arrsers.

What's surprising is that it's an advertisement for a module on offer at an American university (no idea whether Prager University is any good or not) extolling the virtues of the British Empire. Doubt anything like this would get off the ground in the UK.

Edited to add: Prager University isn't actually a university as such, more like an online Open University-lite type thing that doesn't offer degrees. My mistake.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Prager University Prager University. "Give us 5 minutes we'll give you a semester".

Not a real University at all.

"Prager University is an entirely new concept in education. Our courses, taught by some of the finest, most original thinkers in the world, are five minutes long, visually stimulating and rich in practical content.

Each seeks to enhance the student's understanding and appreciation for the core ideas that support Western Civilization such as freedom, personal responsibility and capitalism".

So the role of society social responsibility and collective provision (Education and Health Care) will be anathema to them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Arr, but 'tis still a good video, eh?

• Like Like x 1
  4. I liked that!

5. Why..Freedom results in a free society, social responsibility won't fly without personal responsibility, and capitalism pays for your collective provision...the real trick is balancing the individual with the collective, to far one way is anarchy and too far the other and you have Rotherham.

6. Rather as Farage says that you now don't often hear the words: "it's a free country", said, nor do you hear many of the sentiments expressed in that video. That's the extent to which the sly propagandists in the Guardian, the universities and the Labour party have degraded our country's image of itself.

• Like Like x 2
  7. It's a meaningless concept. There is no 'moral case for' the Empire. It just was.

Some good things happened as a result and so did some bad. It wasn't planned as a way of achieving either.

• Like Like x 9
  8. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

It's a right wing American "institution" for which "Obamacare" smacks of communism.

9. Unless of course we try again. I reckon we could take the Isle of Man or even Jersey at a push. That'd teach the tax dodgers.

10. Well this has put me in a good mood! Rule Britannia! God save the King! And boo sucks to Harry Hun!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Makes you wonder why America got revolting ?

12. it was pretty ******* evil to be honest but then everybody who had the capability was at it we were just world champion at it.:)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

I would argue the more extreme case - that when the victorians and edwardians discovered "the white man's burden" and tried to make the empire a moral cause the whole edifice crumbled. When the emphasis on managing it switched from resources, trade and captive markets to one of improving the lot of the poor benighted folk the costs started to overbear the income and it was doomed

• Like Like x 1
  14. I have to disagree!! It is an excellent video.

15. Always misguided and sometimes dangerous to judge past scenarios by todays standards. We wouldn't send young kids up chimneys today (quite rightly), but in Victorian times it was seen as employment and stopped many families from starving.
    Things we thought quite acceptable (to everyone) can become unacceptable in a very short space of time.