The Moral Case for the British Empire, Prager University

I was sent a link to a video about the British Empire. I imagine the contents won't be new to most arrsers.

What's surprising is that it's an advertisement for a module on offer at an American university (no idea whether Prager University is any good or not) extolling the virtues of the British Empire. Doubt anything like this would get off the ground in the UK.

[video=youtube;WKvc7zzAVls]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKvc7zzAVls&feature=colike[/video]

Edited to add: Prager University isn't actually a university as such, more like an online Open University-lite type thing that doesn't offer degrees. My mistake.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Prager University Prager University. "Give us 5 minutes we'll give you a semester".

Not a real University at all.

"Prager University is an entirely new concept in education. Our courses, taught by some of the finest, most original thinkers in the world, are five minutes long, visually stimulating and rich in practical content.

Each seeks to enhance the student's understanding and appreciation for the core ideas that support Western Civilization such as freedom, personal responsibility and capitalism".

So the role of society social responsibility and collective provision (Education and Health Care) will be anathema to them.

Prager University Prager University. "Give us 5 minutes we'll give you a semester".

Not a real University at all.

"Prager University is an entirely new concept in education. Our courses, taught by some of the finest, most original thinkers in the world, are five minutes long, visually stimulating and rich in practical content.

Each seeks to enhance the student's understanding and appreciation for the core ideas that support Western Civilization such as freedom, personal responsibility and capitalism".

So the role of society social responsibility and collective provision (Education and Health Care) will be anathema to them.
Why..Freedom results in a free society, social responsibility won't fly without personal responsibility, and capitalism pays for your collective provision...the real trick is balancing the individual with the collective, to far one way is anarchy and too far the other and you have Rotherham.

Rather as Farage says that you now don't often hear the words: "it's a free country", said, nor do you hear many of the sentiments expressed in that video. That's the extent to which the sly propagandists in the Guardian, the universities and the Labour party have degraded our country's image of itself.

It's a meaningless concept. There is no 'moral case for' the Empire. It just was.

Some good things happened as a result and so did some bad. It wasn't planned as a way of achieving either.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Why..Freedom results in a free society, social responsibility won't fly without personal responsibility, and capitalism pays for your collective provision...the real trick is balancing the individual with the collective, to far one way is anarchy and too far the other and you have Rotherham.
It's a right wing American "institution" for which "Obamacare" smacks of communism.

it was pretty ******* evil to be honest but then everybody who had the capability was at it we were just world champion at it.:)

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
It's a meaningless concept. There is no 'moral case for' the Empire. It just was.

Some good things happened as a result and so did some bad. It wasn't planned as a way of achieving either.
I would argue the more extreme case - that when the victorians and edwardians discovered "the white man's burden" and tried to make the empire a moral cause the whole edifice crumbled. When the emphasis on managing it switched from resources, trade and captive markets to one of improving the lot of the poor benighted folk the costs started to overbear the income and it was doomed

Always misguided and sometimes dangerous to judge past scenarios by todays standards. We wouldn't send young kids up chimneys today (quite rightly), but in Victorian times it was seen as employment and stopped many families from starving.
Things we thought quite acceptable (to everyone) can become unacceptable in a very short space of time.

I love the way the usual lefty suspects try to belittle the Empire, forgetting that we were no worse than the other Empires of the past and a damn sight better than most. Having been in a Colonial force in Africa, I saw the way that colony was administered. Not with brutality by jackbooted white thugs but through tribal chiefs and headmen aided by British administrators (District commissioners) and policed impartially by us, initially to stop Slave trading & inter tribal disputes. The problems arose later when some of the, often Mission educated, African politicians wanted to wrest the power from the traditional chiefs and us, for themselves. These same politicians who were often feted & encouraged by luminaries from the British Labour party often went on to receive training in London & occasionally Moscow, where they learnt the ways of the intimidation of others who had different views from them & grabbing power for themselves. The First President of Zambia, as did many other newly independent countries, turned it into a one party state to stop any dissent! Funny how corrupt virtually all these countries are and how little REAL progress they have made in the last 50 or so years! Looking at the way South Africa is deteriorating I wonder how soon we will see it descend into even more bloody chaos! :-(

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
As Nogbad says it is wrong for us to judge yesterday but today's standards, as our 'standards and beliefs' were not those used by that society. For example would our modern society sacrifice itself on Flanders Fields, not likely, however Edwardian society did even after it became disillusioned with the war, young men still turned up when conscripted and did not mutiny when sent in drafts to the front line, as it had different standards and accepted behaviour from ourselves.

PS His avatar makes me chuckle as the Noggin the Nog stories were some of my favourites, however my kids didn't seem as interested as I was when I read them to the little tykes.

Things we thought quite acceptable (to everyone) can become unacceptable in a very short space of time.
I'm sure Saville wouldn't have agreed, it took quite a long time

I've just tried, and failed by a fair margin, to wade through Jeremy Paxo's latest tome, fetchingly entitled 'Empire'. In the bits I managed to cope with he consistently makes the same mistake noted above, of judging past events by current standards. Slavery is his big bugbear. Fair enough, it's not nice, especially if you're the slave. But we did see the light long before others - notably the Septics and Frogs - and did something about it. A fact Mr B Liar forgot to mention in his abject grovel of a few years back.

I have read a lot of reviews for the book of the same title. I liked the video, liked the book reviews so I have ordered the book. According to the review, he mentions a fair bit about Ian Smith and Rhodesia. They don't seem to make many men like Smithy any more more's the pity but seem to have a large factory churning out, Bliars, Mandelsons, Cleggs and Miibands.

Come on guys you had better order the book before the thought police ban it

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J The Intelligence Cell 27
B Classified Ads 3
L Classified Ads 23